RED FLAG - An F/A-18 NTTR Mission by Sedlo

WELCOME TO RED FLAG

Welcome to Red Flag Mission 1. My goal in creating this mission is to simulate a realistic air to ground Red Flag mission for the new DCS F/A-18 Hornet. In order to fly this mission successfully, you’ll need to execute critical tasks, from hitting your timing points to low level flying to possible air to air combat.

Make sure to read and familiarize yourself with the mission briefing and what’s expected of you before you enter the mission. Things can happen fast in the air, so better to prepare on the ground!

This mission features a ton of voice overs, challenging situations and custom triggers and scripts that should help make the experience memorable.

Good Luck!

Download Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300770/

Mission Briefing and Charts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyj06fgxf4qi2o5/rf%20cf18%20brief.pdf?dl=0

SITUATION

Last week, Red Army forces began to move combat units close to the Blue border, in clear violation of the UN Security Council resolution 354. This, along with frequent Red Air Force violations into the DMZ area, have led Blue leadership to realize that a Red attack is imminent.

Today, Blue forces will preemptively strike the Red Forces staging near the DMZ. The attack will consist of several F/A-18 strikes upon Red Command and Control facilities adjacent to the border, plus SEAD strikes against SAM, AAA and EWR sites. Aiding this effort will be several flight of F-15 and F/A-18 fighters to take care of any hostile airborne responses.

Blue forces will have AWACS, tanker and jamming support on this mission, which will be orbiting to the East.

THREATS

Red Army and Air forces are on a high state of alert.

• SA-10, SA-8, SA-3 AND SA-6 radar guided SAMs are all located adjacent to the DMZ.

• MANPADS and AAA threats exist throughout the AO.

• Hostile MiG activity has been heavy consisting of MiG-29, SU-27s (simulated by F-15 and F-16s of the 65th Aggressors and the 6513th TEF)

YOUR MISSION

Dodge 1 Flight will be targeting a Red Command and Control Bunker located at NB 67587 40715 in Range 74B, utilizing a low level, high speed run into a pop up, MK-83 bombing attack. You will only be making one pass, then egressing northeast at high speed and low altitude.

[TABLE]DODGE 1 CF-18 STRIKE SOUTH CCC

DODGE 2 F/A-18C STRIKE NORTH CCC

FORD 1 F-15C SOUTH FIGHTER SWEEP

FORD 2 F-15C NORTH FIGHTER SWEEP

FORD 5 F-15C EGRESS FIGHTER SWEEP

PONTIAC 1 F/A-18C SOUTH SEAD

PONTIAC 2 F/A-18C NORTH SEAD

ARCO 11 KC-130 MARINE/NAVY REFUEL

DARKSTAR E-3C AWACS

VACCUUM EC-130 COMM/JAMM

SHOWTIME RED FLAG AIRBOSS

ALLEYCAT RED FLAG RANGE CONTROL[/TABLE]

NAVIGATION LOG

[TABLE]WAYPOINT NAME/ACTION NOTES

1 DEPARTURE FLEX DEPARTURE RWY 03R

2 FLEX NOT ABOVE 4000 MSL

3 SALLY CORRIDOR ENTRY

4 REFUEL TRACK REFUEL W/ARCO 11 295.4

5 MARSHALL

6 PUSH POINT PUSH TIME 16:45

7 NAV POINT BEGIN LOW LEVEL, 440 KIAS

8 TURN POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

9 NAV POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

10 INITIAL POINT POP UP ATTACK

11 TARGET TARGET (IR THREAT, USE FLARES)

12 EGRESS LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

13 NAV POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

14 NAV POINT, EXIT COMBAT BEGIN CLIMB TO CRUISE

15 APEX CONTACT TOWER

16 NELLIS AFB LAND (OVERHEAD BREAK 21L)[/TABLE]

CODE WORDS

EXTRA BUTTER – SEAD PUSH TIME (16:43)

EXTRA LEGROOM – FIGHTER PUSH TIME (16:44)

EXTRA ADVENTURE – STRIKER PUSH TIME (16:45)

FIESTA COORS – MISSION COMPLETE RTB

NOTES ABOUT WAYPOINTS

• This mission is trigger based and these triggers rely on you overflying your waypoints to trigger the next event.

• Fly runway heading until north of the Racetrack, not above 4000msl until waypoint 2.

• Upon reaching waypoint 3 you will be pushed to ALLEYCAT

• You must decide whether to aerial refuel prior to the push, or go without. This question will be asked of you by ALLEYCAT between waypoint 3 and 4. Answer via the Radio Menu F10 Other option. (I have flown this mission without air to air refuelling and there is JUST enough gas, but you need to be very conservative with the throttle. I recommend tanking!)

• Be at the Push Point (Waypont 6) on time (16:45) and start a descent to low level. Maintain at least 440 KIAS!

• Be at very low level by the time you reach Highway. From waypoint 7, ensure you are flying low and at least 480 KIAS.

• Waypoint 9 is where you will be turning south towards the target. Use the mountains to mask yourself from the Red Air Defenses.

• Approaching the target, Pontiac 1 flight is tasked with destroying the SA-8 adjacent to the bunker.

• Utilize a pop up attack to bomb the bunker. Ensure that you pull out of the resultant dive at least 1000agl. MANPADs are expected around the target, so liberal use of flares and evasive manoeuvres is recommended.

• Egress the target at high speed towards waypoint 12.

• Remember, it’s important to overfly each and every one of your waypoints, unless directed to do something else. This mission is trigger based, and relies on you to navigate to these points to trigger the next event.

• DO NOT CHANGE THE WEAPONS LOADOUT! Mission functionality requires you to fly with what you’re given.

COMMS

[TABLE]CHANNEL FREQ USE

1 287.8 AIR TO AIR / AWACS

2 289.4 KLSV CLND

3 275.8 KLSV GROUND

4 327 KLSV TOWER

5 385.4 KLSV DEPARTURE

6 273.55 KLSV ARRIVAL

7 317.525 SALLY CNTRL

8 254.4 LEE CNTRL

9 305.6 SOF

10 343.725 SFA

11 270.1 KLSV ATIS

12 360.625 KINS TOWER

13 234.325 COYOTE

14 289.3 CALIENTE

15 228 RANGE 74

16 363.9 RANGE 75

17 238.8 ALAMO

18 231.1 JUICE

19 261.1 DREAMLAND APPROACH

20 300.05 HAVE QUICK TOD

21 377.8 BLACKJACK

22 257.8 KLAS TOWER

23 122.1 FLIGHTWATCH

24 123.3 RENO FSS

25 255.4 RENO FSS

26 226.1 CREECH SOF

[/TABLE]

NOTES ABOUT COMMS

Most communications with air traffic control and mission elements are scripted in the mission, and do not need any intervention by the players in order to work. Do not use the default ATC comm menus in the game.

There are two instances in the mission where you will need to use the Radio Menu / F10 Other menu to make a choice.

• The first will be somewhere between waypoint 3 and 4, when ALLEYCAT will inquire as to whether you would like to do aerial refuelling prior to the push time, or not.

• The second time will occur when/if you are complete with the air to air refuelling when you’ll need to use the Radio Menu / F10 Other option to contact AWACS when you depart the tanker.

You CAN use the standard radio menu items to:

• Contact Darkstar (AWACS)

• Contact ARCO 11 (air refuelling tanker)

• Command your Wingman

Besides the examples above, you will not need to use the radio menu to contact ATC or other mission elements. These will happen at certain times or when you pass certain waypoints.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Voice overs kindly provided by:

TheHoneyBadger

T-Money

The MagnificientKO

Spudknocker

rf_hnt_titleSM.jpg

RF_HNT2_sm.jpg

rfcf18_sml3.jpg

rf_photo.jpg

Edited by Sedlo

• 1 month later...

Just hanging on loading. Might be an issue with the VR shader mod i have installed. Strangely dont have problems with other missions in that region though.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great job, mission is good fun!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sedlo's mission's are highly detailed and explosively immersive. Thanks for all the hardwork !

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sedlo,

Thank you and everyone else very much for taking the time to create this mission.

I seem to have a problem, when alleycat asks if you'd like to refuel or not the message prompt indicates to use the F10 menu. The communication window is unable to be brought up.

This window pulls up fine during taxi, takeoff, etc but once alleycat asks if you'd like to refuel or not, I'm not able to open the communication window.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks again.

Edit: this is with the most current version of the mission iirc.

Comms are set to realistic now, so the default keybind of \ will not work in the air. Use the COMM1 and COMM2 key combos, which in the Hornet are:

LCTRL + \ and LALT + \ keys, or whatever your "Comm 1" or "Comm 2" default settings are

I recommend binding these to a joystick control! Darkstar/Alleycat/ATC you will need to use COMM1 (left side radio). Wingman will be controlled by the right, COMM2.

Edited by Sedlo

Comms are set to realistic now, so the default keybind of \ will not work in the air. Use the COMM1 and COMM2 key combos, which in the Hornet are:

LCTRL + \ and LALT + \ keys, or whatever your "Comm 1" or "Comm 2" default settings are

I recommend binding these to a joystick control! Darkstar/Alleycat/ATC you will need to use COMM1 (left side radio). Wingman will be controlled by the right, COMM2.

Thank you for the response. I did see the patch notes about the advanced comms and comm tuning. Does this include instances where the mission prompts you to use the f10 menu to answer back?

I was on the proper alley cat frequency and can hear her talk, Mickey check etc, but I'm unable to find a way to answer back regarding fueling. Should I be pushing to the tanker frequency at this point to answer?

The main issue I seem to be having is, the parts of the mission that require the f10 menu to be used, are not actually pulling up the f10 menu. Apologize if I'm missing something simple.

Sorry about the trouble and thank you so very much for taking the time to respond

Edited by Gimbal

. When Alleycat asks you if you’re going to hit the tanker, press the COMM1 keystroke. The menu should pop up in the upper right hand corner of the screen. At that point you press F10 and select your answer. Don’t change frequencies until prompted

When you press they keynind for COMM1, do you see a radio menu pop up in the upper right?

Just flew this amazing mission once again (5th time or so). I didn´t read the changelog so became tired of Nellis ATIS after a short while lol. Some briefing and documents surfing helped me to find the proper comms for Darkstar and refuelling.

Marshall time complete, low level ingress complete, bombing complete.

From then on, I only have blurred memories lol.

Thank you for your job, it´s such an incredible mission it´s hard to believe is not real.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

. When Alleycat asks you if you’re going to hit the tanker, press the COMM1 keystroke. The menu should pop up in the upper right hand corner of the screen. At that point you press F10 and select your answer. Don’t change frequencies until prompted

When you press they keynind for COMM1, do you see a radio menu pop up in the upper right?

Sedlo,

This worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

Hi Sedlo, first off thanks for creating this mission. It's definitely one of the best I've played, if not the best, at least in terms of immersion factor.

I'm having an issue though. When I load up the mission, I get an error message. It goes away after going in the mission editor and deleting the associated trigger.

1477975141_Capturedcran(244).png.e86c935d0fde8d181764e0693d9913c2.png

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you change anything in the mission? Anything to do with mission time or the flight itself? That is message you'd get if the wingman (Dodge 12) had been removed or edited before flight. I just booted up the mission on both stable and beta and it's working fine.

Edited by Sedlo