A-10 Being Retired

smnwrx

Slow aircraft are having hard time in Ukraine. Do you think a-10 would survive in similar 'manpads rich' environment ?

Depends on how you act over the battlefield. We don´t know anything about the Ukrainan tactic - except that they are within MANPAD range. And that says something more about the general use of their equipment, than of the equipment itself.

EDIT: Except the Ukrainian absence of PGM. So they are quite forced to go down low.

Edited by GripenNG

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, two things about the topics on this page:

- Fast jets can do CAS, F-16 proved that. They just do it a bit differently. Both have their advantages, obviously. The A-10 pilot has it easier to see details, more loiter time, can supposedly stand more damage if necessary, and can use his guns more precisely and with more effect. The F-16 is faster there and faster out. If guided bombs or AGMs are used it can be equally precise.

- Usually A-10C pilots nowadays fly above 6000ft IIRC. That's because MANPADs and small arms fire can't reach you there (or at least miss you most of the time). You sacrifice a bit of precision, but actually not that much. Even Shilkas are much less of a threat if you do that. You are a bit more vulnerable to modern SAMs and fighters because of the lack of terrain masking, but if you know those aren't there it is no problem.

Try it yourself in DCSW! I was astonished how well it works. Attacking tanks or BMP with the gun or unguided bombs is a nightmare if you come close. I set the altitude warning to 6500. I start the run at 14000ft and pull out when the warning sounds. If you're not flying right over them they have almost no chance to hit you, and even then they mostly miss.

So yeah, I think you could use the A-10C in that environment. If you fly low enough that MANPADs can hit you you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: And yes, I am talking about attacking with unguided bombs, rockets and other "A-10A"-level stuff. With PGMs I stay above 12000ft, so not even Strelas kann launch at me.

Edited by Aginor

• 2 months later...
Days of A-10 are over. Budget crisis is so bad that there are eve talks about retiring entire B1-B fleet.

A-10 is the platform of the past. Nowdays, it is really good against opponent that can not shoot back with missiles.

Thing is :

Do you think a10 stand a chance against anythin else than talibans ? If china/japan war sparkle and us get involved, how long you thnik the a10 wil survive in high manpad environnement ?

The A-10 was designed to provide CAS during world war III- not as a COIN aircraft. So why isn't survivability against modern manpads a matter of improved IRCM?

In my view though the question on the A-10's fate relies on one question-

the pros and cons of a piloted A-10 to a drones operating in theater - either a QA-10, or a fleet of that put the same amount of ordnance in the sky?