[NOT A BUG] TGP can be controled using HUD as SOI

ledeni000

TO reproduce: Master arm on,select A2G mode, select and activate TGP, select HUD as SOI, press pickle (little diamond shows up). Slew diamond using TDC is slewing the TGP also. As I understand this is not realistic behaviour. This render VVSL mode useless. I upload .trk file

TGP_problem.trk

Edited by ledeni000

Hi, it's not a bug. The FLIR is slaved to the designated target at all times.

Santi, this is interesting. So what happens or should happen when you designate a waypoint or even designate a point with tgp and then move it? Also will there be ever a way to slave the TGP back to the TGT after you've moved it? Thanks.

Stay safe

Santi, this is interesting. So what happens or should happen when you designate a waypoint or even designate a point with tgp and then move it? Also will there be ever a way to slave the TGP back to the TGT after you've moved it? Thanks.

What should happen afaik is that while the FLIR is in area track, it's not possible to no-action slew it (slewing without depressing the TDC). It would be necessary to hold the TDC down while slewing it, and once you release the TDC the designation will be updated to the new aimpoint and the pod will enter area track again. If it worked that way then the TGT would always coincide with the FLIR LOS. For point track the designation should "move" by itself with the tracked aimpoint.

What should happen afaik is that while the FLIR is in area track, it's not possible to no-action slew it (slewing without depressing the TDC). It would be necessary to hold the TDC down while slewing it, and once you release the TDC the designation will be updated to the new aimpoint and the pod will enter area track again. If it worked that way then the TGT would always coincide with the FLIR LOS. For point track the designation should "move" by itself with the tracked aimpoint.

WOW. That caught me of surprise! So the TGP actually will work like the MAV F? Why isn't it that way now?

Stay safe

Well, I don't know exactly what ED's plan is. Like I said, everything I said is "as far as I know" and based on my own research.

Ok I thought it came from ED. Aren't you ED? Sorry I'm just getting used to who is who.

Stay safe

That's very interesting, if that's the case, TDC Release as action and if the pod LOS moves by itself, the designation moves with it. I can see it being an issue during pod realignment though, but maybe the functionality would be suppressed during that.

Also, wouldn't it make sense to exit WPDSG mode as soon as the pod is moved with TDC Depress and slew?

I don't know how it works IRL, I'm just making an educated guess.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Also, wouldn't it make sense to exit WPDSG mode as soon as the pod is moved with TDC Depress and slew?

I don't know how it works IRL, I'm just making an educated guess.

There's no "WPDSG mode". WPDSG creates a designation at the selected waypoint, nothing else. From there you can do as you please with the designation.

There's no "WPDSG mode". WPDSG creates a designation at the selected waypoint, nothing else. From there you can do as you please with the designation.
Sorry, bad wording. I meant that the HSI right now stays on [TGT] after WPDSG is pressed and even if a new target is designated after that, the HSI will remain like before and show the target diamond at the original waypoint position.

I was asking if that's correct. I'm thinking that either the target diamond on the HSI should move to the new target position (designated by the TGP) or the HSI should return to the initial menu, displaying WYPT, Up Arrow, Down Arow etc on the right..

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Moving the FLIR/TDC [sOI] then press designate puts a diamond on the HUD and each subsequent move of the FLIR/TDC and again presssing designate moves the HUD diamond to the new position of the FLIR. I see no way of making HUD SOI and moving the diamond or FLIR position or anything.

Sorry, bad wording. I meant that the HSI right now stays on [TGT] after WPDSG is pressed and even if a new target is designated after that, the HSI will remain like before and show the target diamond at the original waypoint position.

I was asking if that's correct. I'm thinking that either the target diamond on the HSI should move to the new target position (designated by the TGP) or the HSI should return to the initial menu, displaying WYPT, Up Arrow, Down Arow etc on the right..

TGT should stay boxed. The diamond in HSI/SA page should move to the new location, but that part is bugged. Also when creating a designation with FLIR or HUD, TGT doesn't become boxed and the diamond doesn't show in HSI/SA, but both should happen. It's reported.

TGT should stay boxed. The diamond in HSI/SA page should move to the new location, but that part is bugged. Also when creating a designation with FLIR or HUD, TGT doesn't become boxed and the diamond doesn't show in HSI/SA, but both should happen. It's reported.

Thanks for the clarification, Santi.

-

Santi, I noticed that you can only designate with HUD if you previously had a TGT before. If you start a mission and try to do it it won't let you. Bug? Most sure. Also if you touch the TGP after designating with HUD, then HUD movement won't move TGP like you confirmed it should. Hope it helps.

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

Moving the FLIR/TDC [sOI] then press designate puts a diamond on the HUD and each subsequent move of the FLIR/TDC and again presssing designate moves the HUD diamond to the new position of the FLIR. I see no way of making HUD SOI and moving the diamond or FLIR position or anything.

Try use my track file so you see what I was talking about exactly. It works as I describe it but it is not a bug according to ED.

Saw your .trk…got what you were talking about:doh:

Than you know :smilewink: I notice most people are not aware of that and since I could not find anything about it on forums I decided to ask on fb.People told me it should not be possible and I should report it. So I did. Apparently you can move TGP in that way... so no bug :)

Edited by ledeni000

Than you know :smilewink: I notice most people are not aware of that and since I could not find anything about it on forums I decided to ask on fb.People told me it should not be possible and I should report it. So I did. Apparently you can move TGP in that way... so no bug :)

I've been doing a lot of testing TPOD/JSOW and am finding some interesting tricks.

There are several systems that are not exactly modelled by the hoyle. Also trying for hours to get something to work when it's not implemented can keep you busy too:helpsmilie:

But as hein22 mentioned, we need to be reminded this is open beta...user beware.

I love the night flying 2.5.6 it's great but I also miss MP.

Edited by fitness88