Introducing the new Logitech X56 HOTAS

LOGIRich

I've had mine for right at a year. Other than field stripping the throttle base (which is really very simple) to get the stick-um out of it, I've had zero problems with it.

I think it also came down in price. The ones sold on amazon.ca 6 months ago went from 379 to 429. I recently purchased mine for 329.99

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Same here. Cam in a few days ago and it's puuurty but will take some time to get set up. Hate the profile software and prefer to just do it through DCS.... Has anyone had any issues with JUST using DCS and not the profile editor?

I use the software, no major issues.

I use it to turn the stick thumb axis into key presses so I can use it for weapon select on the hornet and cms on the A10

My major issue with the new one is it has a lot more slop in the center, necessitating a large deadzone.

Also, I wish they’d build an extension for it. Would be very easy with the threaded couplings! I tried to build one myself using the couplings from a dead X55, but the wiring didn’t cooperate.

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I got mine tonight and I don't like what I got. It may be because I have used X52 Pro for many years but the stick is extremely badly designed when it comes to what there is and where it is placed. The software on the X52 Pro was bad but this new version is a disaster! They have completely destroyed what was good about the old one and have replaced it with something that is even worse. They have even removed the control panel so there is no way you can check out if all buttons and switches work without programming them and test them in the programming window, bad decision. The throttle seems fine but is extremely hard to move and the adjustment is a joke! The twist on the stick is too hard and there is no way to adjust it, the stick moves on the table when you are doing rudder changes. So I'm not happy and are thinking really hard about returning it.

Yeah, I feel like the stick slop on center is the only really strong detraction form this setup. In most flying it isn't so much of an issue because you're pulling through it, holding, the going back through as you ease up coming out of a turn or whatever. When refueling, trapping, that's when it goes from just feeling a little cludgey to actively making it harder to fly. Gotta agree on wiping out that sludge, the throttle is pretty smooth once you get that crud out of there.

Anyhow, a year in and no issues. In fairness though it should be noted that this is my work setup and most of my flying time gets put on the WH at home. At a guess that might add up to a few months of an avid simmer using it as their only HOTAS

I agree with all the gripes of the last two posts but for me, it’s better than my X52 with its crappy rudder potentiometer thingie. For the record, there’s a YT video on how to fix the stiff throttle and the dead spot fix is not that bad

Edited by Akula
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Well, the throttle adjustment on mine is broken so I will return it. I'm so disappointed in this product! How can they possibly keep on selling it?

Lol probably because the TM warthog is more expensive than many are willing to pay. For me the price difference isn’t justified...... yet. Marketing 101. Low price creates a demand. And this product is the lowest priced HOTAS with the biggest bang. By the way, the throttle adjustment on mine *seems* to work but even with the tension all the way down, the grease on the rails is what makes it super stiff. YouTube it and you’ll see the fix. I might do this fix tonight.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

I would like a new X52 pro stick that could connect by its own and had a direct USB connection. The placement of switches, pot and grip is perfect, the design is good. The twist is perfectly loose and they could provide the same spring changes as provided with the X56. If they did this I would buy it day one and use it together with the Warthog throttle. To solve my problems I have ordered a new set of the Saitek X52 Pro.

If you're going to get into the throttle I don't think that stuff people call grease is actually grease, more likely it's an epoxy adhesive minus the catalyst. Do not get it on cloth or other similar materials as it's very sticky and you'll need more than soap to get it off your hands and anything else you may get it on during the process. Worth doing however as the throttle is much better afterwards and it's quickly done. Logitech mentions fixing this problem in the updated X65 but I have to call BS on that: At best it was horrid before (I didn't have the 55, cant comment on it's throttle resistance) and they've now reduced horrid to bad which doesn't qualify as fixed.

This explains the drop in price for the X56. And I agree. Knowing how Logitech works they will most likely use the same guts and change the overall appearance to look more Warthog-ish thereby not really fixing anything. That’s fine as I already have the X56. But I imagine the asking price for the X65 will be unjustified considering the minimal changes they will make to quality.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

This explains the drop in price for the X56. And I agree. Knowing how Logitech works they will most likely use the same guts and change the overall appearance to look more Warthog-ish thereby not really fixing anything. That’s fine as I already have the X56. But I imagine the asking price for the X65 will be unjustified considering the minimal changes they will make to quality.

What - is that a typo, or are they actually redoing the X65??

If the button layouts are the same, this may be the solution to my centering problem... the force sensing is very precise. I could use my X56 for helo flying and the 65 for jets...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

What - is that a typo, or are they actually redoing the X65??

If the button layouts are the same, this may be the solution to my centering problem... the force sensing is very precise. I could use my X56 for helo flying and the 65 for jets...

Googling it now. Looks like it’s a typo so far.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Not a typo but then again, not Logitech

https://www.amazon.ca/Mad-Catz-Control-SCB440420002-02/dp/B003BXVIQS

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

LOGIRich just ran off into the sunset after he marketed his "wonderful" X56 that turns out to be the biggest pile of .... just filled with cheap Chinese parts lol (Logitech tell us they use "Modern, Military-Grade") LOL nothing further from the truth, no durability whatsoever.

My X55 is done, none of the joystick buttons work, its probably a soldering issue but not worth my time to try to fix it, poor customer service.

My advice it might be tempting to buy these joysticks but you pay for what you get, which is a poor product with cheap parts that don't last and comes with customer service that you would see in a developing country

Edited by F900EX

LOGIRich just ran off into the sunset after he marketed his "wonderful" X56 that turns out to be the biggest pile of .... just filled with cheap Chinese parts lol (Logitech tell us they use "Modern, Military-Grade") LOL nothing further from the truth, no durability whatsoever.

My X55 is done, none of the joystick buttons work, its probably a soldering issue but not worth my time to try to fix it, poor customer service.

My advice it might be tempting to buy these joysticks but you pay for what you get, which is a poor product with cheap parts that don't last and comes with customer service that you would see in a developing country

He probably ran off into the sunset because his Logitech HOTAS stopped working.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Just sent this message to LOGIRich

You have some frustrated customers here who would like some answers. Realize that by remaining silent you impress upon the community Logitech’s “commitment” to customer service and how loyally you stand behind your products.

Where are you?

Edited by Akula
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

@HiJack The control panel is still there - we can’t remove a Windows component! Type joy.cpl into the run window and that will take you there. The twist spring is deliberately stiffer than the X52 due to feedback on that product; the same is true of the throttle.

Happy to answer any further questions to the best of my ability to do so.

You could breath on the X52 and move it, that is too soft for almost any use, it had essentially no resistance. On the other hand the X56 has multiple throttle resistance issues. First is the fact that it gets harder to move even if sitting a few minutes in auto-pilot while doing various other duties in the cockpit. Then you have the fact that it isn't consistent; it is a little harder to get moving from a stop and then resistance goes down as it starts traveling. Move it around a lot and resistance goes down more than when you were just moving it around a little and much more than when it's been sitting unmoved on autopilot.

It's almost like the guys that designed it never actually flew with it; they moved it about in the shop and decided that they had added in the resistance people were asking for and called it a day. If they had tested it out in it's intended use they'd instantly find out that the way it resists movement makes it difficult to make precise control movements in flight sims. Which I suppose is a good time to mention that I don't know a thing about the space genre and their needs in terms of control movements so in fairness maybe it works better in that use.

You guys could rule the world here because there is no economical flight HOTAS that actually works well and doesn't feel like cheap crap. I own the X56 only because it has no competitor at the price point. Ironically if it did have one it would probably be a different product because you would have fixed things like the throttle resistance which isn't ever going to work well as is because quantity of goo was never the problem. Your fix was free and it was easy but it was not a fix, something that you wouldn't have been complacent enough to leave as is if you had to compete. Eventually someone is going to step into this space with an economical product that doesn't look, feel, and scream cheap when you pull it out of the box. It could be you that makes that product, or not, but I do know whoever it is, they get my money. As I said in another thread, you buy this product because you're on a budget, it's better than a keyboard and a toy, and it has no competition. You do not buy it because its the product you actually wanted. That perception is something you could change if you wanted it to change.

@HiJack The control panel is still there - we can’t remove a Windows component! Type joy.cpl into the run window and that will take you there. The twist spring is deliberately stiffer than the X52 due to feedback on that product; the same is true of the throttle.

Happy to answer any further questions to the best of my ability to do so.

Aha, thanks. I was not very thorough in the evaluation as I was so disappointed that the throttle was almost impossible to move and the adjusting knob just spun around without seemingly do anything. I'm sure it is a good product if you can get everything working and can adjust to the stick. I will go back to X52 Pro now.

LOGIRich,

With the exception of just one person saying the throttle is too loose on the x52, Pro and the X56 I have seen nothing but complaints about how STIFF it is. Come on man, we’re not stupid. We ACTUALLY USE your products in real life so we see and feel how good or bad it is and the reality is that the throttle is inconsistently stiff and that joke of a tension knob does jack squat to the tension. Taking it apart to fix it VOIDS the warranty so it’s basically Logitech saying; “You’re screwed if you use it as is and you’re screwed if you try to fix it." That’s not right at all.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Guys, don’t barrage LOGIRich with complaints on stuff he probably doesn’t even have the ability to fix. Besides, through 2 X55s and an X56, I’ve had no issues with throttle stiffness. Back off the resistance wheel and secure it down (I use Velcro tape), and it works great. Out of all 3 I’ve had, never needed to even crack it open (except to fix wiring on the 55).

My only complaint is the sloppy centering that seems to have started with the X56, but you get what you pay for to a degree. Even more expensive ones have issues too.

My question for Rich is whether Logitech has considered marketing an extension for the X55/56, as the design would be very simple given the coupling system that they use. This would help mitigate the centering issues for me and help it compete with the warthog.

LOGIRich,

With the exception of just one person saying the throttle is too loose on the x52, Pro and the X56 I have seen nothing but complaints about how STIFF it is. Come on man, we’re not stupid. We ACTUALLY USE your products in real life so we see and feel how good or bad it is and the reality is that the throttle is inconsistently stiff and that joke of a tension knob does jack squat to the tension. Taking it apart to fix it VOIDS the warranty so it’s basically Logitech saying; “You’re screwed if you use it as is and you’re screwed if you try to fix it." That’s not right at all.

Precisely! I would never open a product on the first day of a buy to "fix" something. It's return and complain!

Guys, don’t barrage LOGIRich with complaints on stuff he probably doesn’t even have the ability to fix. Besides, through 2 X55s and an X56, I’ve had no issues with throttle stiffness. Back off the resistance wheel and secure it down (I use Velcro tape), and it works great. Out of all 3 I’ve had, never needed to even crack it open (except to fix wiring on the 55).

My only complaint is the sloppy centering that seems to have started with the X56, but you get what you pay for to a degree. Even more expensive ones have issues too.

My question for Rich is whether Logitech has considered marketing an extension for the X55/56, as the design would be very simple given the coupling system that they use. This would help mitigate the centering issues for me and help it compete with the warthog.

No one is barraging him. He is the liaison for Logitech which means he is the representative to the community for Logitech. Some customers are clearly frustrated and understandably some even want to return the X56 so, yes, it is his job to provide some sort of support to the customer and either offer tips or direction to the proper resource to assist. If you're happy with your product then fine but don't demonize those that are not. and for anyone that doesn't think it's LOGIrich's job to represent Logitech here amongst the DCS community then ask yourself this; Why did he even start this thread?

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

If you aren’t happy with it then return it and go pay twice as much for something else. It has cheap parts because it’s a cheap stick. You get what you pay for, can’t have it all.

You can buy two of these for the price of the next competitor, but what you get with the 56 is a pretty good value.