RWR sounds

Calicrook

This thread raises a question that I never got an answer to since 2003. How realistic is it that you get painted on the tarmac from dishes that are up to hundreds of miles away, sitting on the ground or just a few metres above MSL? I'd expect to be hidden to those while being on the ground at least, especially at distance... I got the feeling that it is not realistic somehow.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

This thread raises a question that I never got an answer to since 2003. How realistic is it that you get painted on the tarmac from dishes that are up to hundreds of miles away, sitting on the ground or just a few metres above MSL? I'd expect to be hidden to those while being on the ground at least, especially at distance... I got the feeling that it is not realistic somehow.

I think to really answer this question one would need to have very detailed (and likely classified) information on what the thresholds in terms of signal strength are for an RWR to go off.

The way how I understand them (and that is rudimentary) they look for electromagnetic energy of certain frequencies and of a certain strength. For sure, from a fighter‘s radar which is 200 nm away only a very, very small amount of the energy will reach you on the ground, provided the signal is not blocked/reflected on its way. So I think it really comes down to the tuning of the filters and at what signal strength it can detect and classify an emitter from the noise.

What I have heard (and regarding models from at least 2 decades ago) is that the probability of intercept is such that, by the time you get any RWR indication, you are already being detected by the threat.

That said, my info could be totally wrong or not applicable to more modern toys.

Well realistically, its a radio receiver right.

So if there is an enemy radar its detecting it. And if its making "lock noises" in your general direction its what you "hear" it doesn't have to be locking your plane. Again depending on how "smart" your RWR is.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think to really answer this question one would need to have very detailed (and likely classified) information on what the thresholds in terms of signal strength are for an RWR to go off.

The way how I understand them (and that is rudimentary) they look for electromagnetic energy of certain frequencies and of a certain strength. For sure, from a fighter‘s radar which is 200 nm away only a very, very small amount of the energy will reach you on the ground, provided the signal is not blocked/reflected on its way. So I think it really comes down to the tuning of the filters and at what signal strength it can detect and classify an emitter from the noise.

yes.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well if we think about is as a wave or bubble, are the radar signals being pushed through mountains and such in game? Or is the rwr detecting the wave or bubble of radar somewhere in the air? I’m not to in touch with my inner rwr so I don’t know how they work lol

i7-6700k| 32GB ram| GTX 2080 founders edition| Oculus Rift 2

My WIP Youtube