Panavia Tornado variants?

CyMPAK

Panavia Tornado variants?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Panavia Tornado variants?

• Tornado IDS - interdictor/strike
    • Tornado ADV - interceptor/fighter

About that automatic wing sweep...

At least in the IDS version the connection from the wing sweep lever in the cockpit to the hydraulic control unit (HLWSCU) is purely mechanical. Just pushrods. Fitting some kind of automation device (with the required connections to the air data system) would be quite a challenge.

Well, apparently they managed to do that for the Saudis ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In regards of the british variants I go with GR.4. Based on Infos from the Web the GR.1 variant had no FLIR, LASER, GPSWR and no night time operation capabilities.

The Tornado was night and all-weather capable from the very beginning. Not sure what makes you think the GR.1 was not night/all-weather capable? huh.gif

The GR.1 recieved the TIALD targeting pod for Dessert Storm, which includes FLIR and LASER. This was a rushed stopgap solution though, untill it was properly implemented for the GR.4. The crews had no time to train with the TIALD prior to Dessert Storm, so they had to learn it there.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Tornado was night and all-weather capable from the very beginning. Not sure what makes you think the GR.1 was not night/all-weather capable? huh.gif

The GR.1 recieved the TIALD targeting pod for Dessert Storm, which includes FLIR and LASER. This was a rushed stopgap solution though, untill it was properly implemented for the GR.4. The crews had no time to train with the TIALD prior to Dessert Storm, so they had to learn it there.

Thats why I mentioned that I need expert input on this matter. Is there some kind of features list? In german Wiki they say GR.4 had development of the night combat capability. Where are the differences in this case with GR.1/A and GR.4/A ?

Questions over questions. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

Thats why I mentioned that I need expert input on this matter. Is there some kind of features list? In german Wiki they say GR.4 had development of the night combat capability. Where are the differences in this case with GR.1/A and GR.4/A ?

Questions over questions. :joystick:

I answered here, as there is no need to discuss this simultaneously in two different threads ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

I answered here, as there is no need to discuss this simultaneously in two different threads ;)

Sure, I was laughing already because of the fact that we wrote about the same matter in two different threads :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

• 3 months later...

Truegrit is probably best positioned (they're working with NETMA which is the management agency for the Tornado and the Typhoon) to deliver one, though we'll be waiting a long while yet to see how the Typhoon turns out.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 12/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, Pilot Ike said:

With the latest info from ED stating their request to buy documents/licence from the manufacturer was denied, I think that's the end of our Tornado dreams. I don't think they would reject ED but accept HB...

Well, HB isn't russian if that was the issue for ED :dunno:

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 hours ago, TLTeo said:

Truegrit may also have a good chance, probably better. If they can secure the license for the Typhoon, I'm sure they can get the one for the Tornado as well.

I would say they're best poised to deliver one, IIRC they're working with the management agency for the both of them (NETMA).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, Wags said:

Dear all,

It seems that something may have been lost in translation. While we (Eagle Dynamics) have no plans for the Tornado, it is not off the table for a talented and qualified 3rd party.

As a huge fan of Digital Integration's Tornado, I'd personally love to see this aircraft in DCS someday.

Kind regards,

Wags

Of course Wags isn't saying that a Tornado is on the way but nor is he saying that it's impossible, which seems to be the assumption here. Who would have thought that a Eurofighter would ever be cleared for a "study-level" sim? Who knows what concessions have had to be made to fidelity, but the point for Eurofighter fans is that there's one on the way. Is it so outlandish to hope that Tornado fans (there's a lot of us, and we're noisy 🙂 ) may one day get the same? 

Congrats to Heatblur for grabbing the top two spots on the recent Grim Reapers top DCS modules list/video. The reason? The Viggen and Tomcat are the modules that keep their pilots most entertained - technically excellent, but then filled with character and charm which leads to sim pilots feeling the same way as real pilots do about their steeds. They become emotionally invested. Unmatched by any other dev, and Heatblur have done it twice.

That's why we're all here. Who else could do the Tornado justice?

...and they've nailed swing-wing.

And ground radar...

...and multi-crew...

...and reverse thrust...

...and and and... 🙂

Happy Christmas y'all!

• Like 4

Nah, I've only just met 'er...:pilotfly:

On 12/23/2020 at 12:34 PM, Tonker said:

Of course Wags isn't saying that a Tornado is on the way but nor is he saying that it's impossible, which seems to be the assumption here. Who would have thought that a Eurofighter would ever be cleared for a "study-level" sim? Who knows what concessions have had to be made to fidelity, but the point for Eurofighter fans is that there's one on the way. Is it so outlandish to hope that Tornado fans (there's a lot of us, and we're noisy 🙂 ) may one day get the same? 

Congrats to Heatblur for grabbing the top two spots on the recent Grim Reapers top DCS modules list/video. The reason? The Viggen and Tomcat are the modules that keep their pilots most entertained - technically excellent, but then filled with character and charm which leads to sim pilots feeling the same way as real pilots do about their steeds. They become emotionally invested. Unmatched by any other dev, and Heatblur have done it twice.

That's why we're all here. Who else could do the Tornado justice?

...and they've nailed swing-wing.

And ground radar...

...and multi-crew...

...and reverse thrust...

...and and and... 🙂

Happy Christmas y'all!

Hear, hear! 😉

• Like 2

Regards,

Digby