Panavia Tornado variants?

CyMPAK

Panavia Tornado variants?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Panavia Tornado variants?

• Tornado IDS - interdictor/strike
    • Tornado ADV - interceptor/fighter

While they gained a lot of capabilities for mid-high altitude operations, they didn't loose their capabilities needed for low level operations (apart from weapons like JP233 or MW-1 being phased out and reduced pilot training for low level flying). I agree with the classification problem for the modern avionics stuff though. And the oldschool analog and monochrome instruments/displays are always pretty cool!

I didn't say it lost that core capability, but that added value is already well covered by the late F-16 and F/A-18C, while flying the Tornado in its designed for way (80's low level) wouldn't be quite the same with upgraded cockpits of GR4 or what not.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I didn't say it lost that core capability, but that added value is already well covered by the late F-16 and F/A-18C, while flying the Tornado in its designed for way (80's low level) wouldn't be quite the same with upgraded cockpits of GR4 or what not.

I absolutly agree. That classic Cold War pit is quite charming :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think the ADV gets a bad rep, mostly from Internet armchair quarterbacks

And former aircrew, if you ever read their accounts of operating it.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Did heatblur show any interest in this jet or is this yet another beggar/speculation thread?

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - UNTOUCHED - ABANDONED

And former aircrew, if you ever read their accounts of operating it.
Hmmm depends F4 guys didn't like it cos they couldn't bullshit as everything is on tape. Buddy flew the F3 and the F18 marine exchange ( so early F18s ) loved the 18 but wouldn't want to go to war in it cos the RWR is crap, F3 had an excellent RWR not such a big deal in DCS but is IRL where you really do want to know what is targeting you.

Personally while I loved flying the F3 I am not overly keen on it for DCS. The F14 and F3 overlap too much IMO so I don't think it would add much to the Simulator especially given how good our link 4 is . Similarly with the GR1, while TFR at night in bad weather would be kinda cool it would also be a gimmick more than anything and I don't see it being that much fun after a few goes.

I would personally rather see the F14 fully finished before Heatblur worked on anything else.

If they could give us an F14D upgrade after the B is finished that would get my vote, I would happily pay another $80 for that.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 3 weeks later...
None of them. Sweeping the wings manually is pretty janky stuff.

so you dont want an f111 either then?

the tornado had auto wing sweep but the pilots said nah il do it manually please

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

so you dont want an f111 either then?

the tornado had auto wing sweep but the pilots said nah il do it manually please

Auto wing sweep wasn't available in the RAF we all had to use it manually. This was actually an advantage tho as we could work to the NE limits knowing that the speed was gonna decrease to the NO limit by the time the wings got there.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Auto wing sweep wasn't available in the RAF we all had to use it manually. This was actually an advantage tho as we could work to the NE limits knowing that the speed was gonna decrease to the NO limit by the time the wings got there.

i stand corrected sir, i was sure it was at least designed with auto sweep though

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

You are correct it was iirc the Saudis had it working I think it was in the jet but just disabled.

I will admit it took a while for it to become so ingrained in you that you wouldn't forget to bring em forward when things got really busy.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Didn't the ADV Tornado have automatic wingsweep too?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Never installed/cleared/used in service.

Really? I really thought they were. Interesting.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...

I see, thanks for clarifying! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Our (small) local air museum has the cockpit of an F3 and the tail from some variant of the tornado, that fin is huge!

IDS all the way. Nothing like doing 500kts at 40' over the desert. IIRC in Tornado Down it's mentioned that there were a few controlled flights into terrain, the trust the navigator had to have had in the pilot.

Our (small) local air museum has the cockpit of an F3 and the tail from some variant of the tornado, that fin is huge!

IDS all the way. Nothing like doing 500kts at 40' over the desert. IIRC in Tornado Down it's mentioned that there were a few controlled flights into terrain, the trust the navigator had to have had in the pilot.

That was actually a very common, yet tragic occurance in the 80s, where they trained NOE flying extensively day and night. It's pretty much the most dangerous type of flying you could do, even in a Tornado that was dedicated to this kind of flying. Some brave men they were!

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

That was actually a very common, yet tragic, occurance in the 80s, where they trained NOE flying extensively day and night. It's pretty much the most dangerous type of flying you could do, even in a Tornado that was dedicated to this kind of flying. Some brave men they were!

Yeah when you are driving along the glens in Scotland and a Tornado flashes past you and you have to look down to see it. But then again they have to look down on the Buccaneer they just passed, it's about the only thing that flew lower than a Tornado.

Or they are having to climb to get over car and then rock their wings as they pass you. It had it's moments living in a low flying zone.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Yeah when you are driving along the glens in Scotland and a Tornado flashes past you and you have to look down to see it. But then again they have to look down on the Buccaneer they just passed, it's about the only thing that flew lower than a Tornado.

Or they are having to climb to get over car and then rock their wings as they pass you. It had it's moments living in a low flying zone.

Tornado passing a Bucc down low? laff ;)

Have been buzzed at low level by just about every western cold war strike aircraft ( and a few more ) given the low fly area I grew up in, you'd expect 8+ Tornado flights a day plus innumerable Hawks. Got their money's worth out of airframes back then for sure.

I'm torn between wanting a strike Tornado or a Bucc ( first... ideally both but priorities ). The Bucc would be a very nice cold war carrier strike aircraft...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

About that automatic wing sweep...

At least in the IDS version the connection from the wing sweep lever in the cockpit to the hydraulic control unit (HLWSCU) is purely mechanical. Just pushrods. Fitting some kind of automation device (with the required connections to the air data system) would be quite a challenge. The system was designed in the 60ies and it is as fascinating as it is outdated.

Edited by Drotik

• 10 months later...
You forgot the Tornado ECR on your list!

My wish would be the Tornado IDS ASSTA 3.1 that is currently in use with the German air Force (although that one is probably way to modern to be a realistic option for DCS)

attachment.php?attachmentid=208620&d=1555184876

attachment.php?attachmentid=208619&d=1555184876

I searched for some documentation on the IDS Variants. These MFDs/Screens seen in those Pictures came with ASSTA 2 already. Regarding classification I see chances for ASSTA 2 in DCS.

In regards of the british variants I go with GR.4. Based on Infos from the Web the GR.1 variant had no FLIR, LASER, GPSWR and no night time operation capabilities. So it is GR.4 for me. And GR.4 is a 1998 Modernisation. So it should be possible to get it into DCS. Since the Tornado is retired in the UK the chance to get former classified documentation and information should be higher.

I am not sure how accurate those informations on the web are. Maybe some experts and some active or former tornado pilots can shed some light on those variants and its differences.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"