Valve Index Hands On

aileron

So I have the Reverb and it looks quite washed out compared to the OLED Vive Pro.

I also have the Index inbound. Is the colors and contrast terrible on the Index LCD panels too?

Wait and see for yourself. Both of these parameters are objectively inferior to Vive Pro by direct measurements, but this is also quite subjective to individual’s taste as you would also see glowing reviews of other headsets in their own respective threads despite the ‘terrible’ quote by some.

IMO, not terrible (color and contrast are comparable my LCD monitor) but not as good as Vive Pro, but everything else crushes it (edge to edge clarity, perceived resolution, variable screen refresh rate, wider FOV, audio, IPD slider instead of knob that doesn’t move by itself).

More people are starting to get their Index now, and that is a good thing.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot of posts by people complaining of washed-out textures on Index, but there are apparently simple fixes. So if yours seems that way - don't give up and return it, just look for the fixes (which IIRC include doing a verify of SteamVR files)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I’ve used just about every headset but cannot get my hands on a reverb. I’ll be real interested in your opinions after you’ve had the chance to side by side them.

DCS really causes one to make certain sacrifices in settings due to performance reasons, and that effects the experience in ways most reviewers don’t contemplate.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Just got my index last night, here are my first impressions:

1. Screen door effect is significantly reduced versus the Odyssey (immersion in the pit is better because of this)

2. the steam loading screen really makes it obvious that this is an LED not OLED, as it has an apparent blue tint to it. (this isn't as obvious in game).

3. Glare is worse then any other headset I've used.

4. God rays are on par with OG Vive, not as good as Odyssey.

with both 3 and 4 above, headset placement does have a big impact so this may improve as I learn how to wear it.

5. So a far I would say the cockpit looks sharper but I haven't spent enough time to say for sure.

To be clear I'm comparing this to my experience with my Samsung Odyssey, HTC Vive and have previously owned a OG Rift.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

I lent someone part of my Index money on the basis that they swore up and down and sideways that it wouldnt interfere with my preorder.

Now I have received my pre-order notification and have missed the window because they, at the absolute last minute, did not hold up their end.

My feelings about this are, obviously[REDACTED]

/vent

I lent someone part of my Index money on the basis that they swore up and down and sideways that it wouldnt interfere with my preorder.

Now I have received my pre-order notification and have missed the window because they, at the absolute last minute, did not hold up their end.

My feelings about this are, obviously[REDACTED]

/vent

No good gesture goes unpunished..........

Just got my index last night, here are my first impressions:

1. Screen door effect is significantly reduced versus the Odyssey (immersion in the pit is better because of this)

2. the steam loading screen really makes it obvious that this is an LED not OLED, as it has an apparent blue tint to it. (this isn't as obvious in game).

3. Glare is worse then any other headset I've used.

4. God rays are on par with OG Vive, not as good as Odyssey.

with both 3 and 4 above, headset placement does have a big impact so this may improve as I learn how to wear it.

5. So a far I would say the cockpit looks sharper but I haven't spent enough time to say for sure.

To be clear I'm comparing this to my experience with my Samsung Odyssey, HTC Vive and have previously owned a OG Rift.

Sounds like you need to tweak some settings, side by side odyssey shouldn’t compare. There shouldn’t be god rays, there’s light scatter around the periphery in certain conditions (generally dark scenes with high contrast objects), but not the define ray from a high contrast shape that was so pronounced in gen 1 headsets

People have had some weird carryover bugs with steam. I did a fresh windows install but you could probably get away with removing all things steamvr, fresh driver, kill all things WMR related in your DCS install (fxo, metashaders, any change to the projection that addressed the pupil swim in DCS and o+), then start over with steam. Also, proper adjustment is key. Dial in ipd, then bring lenses in as tight as you can tolerate. Individual other settings will depend on your specs, but advanced ssettings for steam be is must have, fpsVR helps to see frame timing in game

Not sure that’s your problem but objectively speaking as someone with both HMDs they should not be close.

@Strong05

Make sure to switch to SteamVR beta, Valve introduced a white balance patch yesterday and changed the cold color temp to a more warmer color temp setting.

Can't be said enough, it's mandatory to search for the sweet spot. After putting the HMD on, shift and tilt it a bit around to find it and see the difference. And play with "eye relief" FOV setting, it's an eye opener ;)

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

After having the index for some weeks now & comparing it to my CV1 i think the main issues regarding performance are really down to how poor motion smoothing is. I also found that running the Index at 0.9 pd is closer to cv1 @ 1.5PD & a fairer comparison.

I'm running dcs at 120hz & its at least smoother than 90hz running at 45fps, i can still see the ghosting slower frame rate of 60fps but it's not too bad & maybe valve will improve it motion smoothing.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Here it is, quote this message and you'll see :smilewink:

K

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I completely stopped relying on Tyriel's videos. They are all flawed with wrong camera settings (auto exposure) and don't represent how each HMD really looks through the lens. The only information left maybe panel resolution, but colors and brightness are different from what you will see in the real HMD. He chose a good testing scene however, Elite Dangerous is perfect for testing LCD panels, but the Index looks much better IRL than in his videos.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I completely stopped relying on Tyriel's videos. They are all flawed with wrong camera settings (auto exposure) and don't represent how each HMD really looks through the lens. The only information left maybe panel resolution, but colors and brightness are different from what you will see in the real HMD. He chose a good testing scene however, Elite Dangerous is perfect for testing LCD panels, but the Index looks much better IRL than in his videos.

Agreed.

My Index has now been paid for - hope it doesn't take long to arrive, so I can do a Windows reinstall from scratch (having just replaced mobo and deactivated everything) - I'd install Rift on a 2nd PC then, so I know nothing is interfering with each VR system.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

My Index has now been paid for - hope it doesn't take long to arrive, so I can do a Windows reinstall from scratch (having just replaced mobo and deactivated everything) - I'd install Rift on a 2nd PC then, so I know nothing is interfering with each VR system.

Yeah apparently the latest round of index “reservations” are now shipping... I got my index order placed on Friday and just got the tracking number today (Sunday).

Considering I’m coming from the Rift S (which I actually love but my IPD is well outside the sweet spot and is killing me) anyone have any recommendations out there regarding how to best prep/clean my system in preparation for the switch? I REALLY don’t want to wipe and re-install the OS considering the system is barely over a month old.

Uninstall Oculus stuff would be obvious... anything I need to do to DCS in particular? Or just install steam, update drivers and go?

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Ya I wouldn’t want to fresh instal again either, I’d imagine your best bet is juts to uninstall oculus, like you said, and see how it goes. If you have any trouble can always reinstall later

Yep, that was one of the reasons why I sent my Reverb back.

Like you, I’m waiting on the Index now.

Hum another reason against getting the reverb then. I generally only play DCS at sunset or around sunrise because I can't stand VR looking all overly exposed and washed out! Don't need a HMD adding to the problem. Can't believe they havent adressed this problem with the new headsets though, and provided a way to alter the brightness...it can really be the difference between a very realistic feeling experience, and something that looks almost too bad to endure...

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

@Strong05

Make sure to switch to SteamVR beta, Valve introduced a white balance patch yesterday and changed the cold color temp to a more warmer color temp setting.

Can't be said enough, it's mandatory to search for the sweet spot. After putting the HMD on, shift and tilt it a bit around to find it and see the difference. And play with "eye relief" FOV setting, it's an eye opener ;)

I have been running vr beta since day one with the index. I also ran a repair, as I heard that might have some effect on color/contrast. I couldn't tell if it helped or not but it did correct something.

Yup, I've been continuously playing with the headset trying to find the right balance between comfort and getting it in the best sweet spot.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

And ironically this is the comfortable headset with the big sweet spot?

It definitely likes to be tight, with the panels right up as close as possible. It is heavier than others, but it does look damn good when you get it right. I do periodically take a turn out or in while playing.... like part of my fence in, two clicks to the right pre dogfight, etc

I like that they released the cad files for 3rd party face plates. Everyone that has ever got one of those custom ones has raced about it, but you have to be at a tech show or similar in person to get it done. We’ll see what vrcover and such come up with, it actually fits my face pretty well, but I know some people it does not

Yeah apparently the latest round of index “reservations” are now shipping... I got my index order placed on Friday and just got the tracking number today (Sunday).

Considering I’m coming from the Rift S (which I actually love but my IPD is well outside the sweet spot and is killing me) anyone have any recommendations out there regarding how to best prep/clean my system in preparation for the switch? I REALLY don’t want to wipe and re-install the OS considering the system is barely over a month old.

Uninstall Oculus stuff would be obvious... anything I need to do to DCS in particular? Or just install steam, update drivers and go?

If you haven't used SteamVR you should be pretty safe. Many of the issues people seem to be having, going from a previous headset to Index is settings being left over from that older headset being applied to the Index, from the many, many posts I've read on Reddit.

It didn't take me long to back up and reinstall Windows 10 - including the updates, maybe an hour (using an installer download for my specific PC a few months back, via my MS account). The O/S itself took minutes to install - it's the repeated updating that takes a bit more time.

The most time is, of course, reinstalling anything you decide to chop along the way.

I got my tracking info this morning and just checked - apparently on a truck in Holland. So hopefully have it by the weekend. Not so long to be without VR. I'll set up the CV1 on PC2 after I have decided to keep the Index - else I'll just put it back on the main rig.

PS - troubleshooting thread on Reddit:

Kneeboard Guides

If you haven't used SteamVR you should be pretty safe. Many of the issues people seem to be having, going from a previous headset to Index is settings being left over from that older headset being applied to the Index, from the many, many posts I've read on Reddit.

It didn't take me long to back up and reinstall Windows 10 - including the updates, maybe an hour (using an installer download for my specific PC a few months back, via my MS account). The O/S itself took minutes to install - it's the repeated updating that takes a bit more time.

The most time is, of course, reinstalling anything you decide to chop along the way.

I got my tracking info this morning and just checked - apparently on a truck in Holland. So hopefully have it by the weekend. Not so long to be without VR. I'll set up the CV1 on PC2 after I have decided to keep the Index - else I'll just put it back on the main rig.

PS - troubleshooting thread on Reddit:

Interesting and very helpful information indeed thanks for posting. Tracking info I got from Valve indicates a Thursday delivery so I guess I know my weekend plans :megalol:

I believe - based on all my tinkering w the Rift I’ve got a pretty good handle on what needs to be removed Oculus wise (apps, services, etc.) to clean up the system in preparation. Also good news that I’ve honestly done little than play DCS on this system since getting it June so it’s still reasonably fresh.

That reddit troubleshooting thread is a goldmine so I’ll be browsing that in my spare time...thanks again for that and cheers

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

When did you reserve your Index? I did mine a couple of months ago, and I’m seeing nothing from Valve.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

When did you reserve your Index? I did mine a couple of months ago, and I’m seeing nothing from Valve.

Good question, I needed to look it up myself... oddly enough it wasn’t that long ago, I had thought I was going to be waiting until September or so. So I signed up for a “reservation” back on July 8th and got the notification I could place the order on July 19th w delivery scheduled for 7/25... def double check spam filters, etc... might even be worth a follow up with customer service.. I was honestly shocked by the quick turnaround

Are you in the UK?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box