rocket ccip changed

twistking

heyhey,

did anyone noticed changes to the ccip pipper for rocket delivery?

if i'm not mistaken,there has always been a range indicator (closing outer circle, like it is f.e. with the gun pipper), which is gone now.

i guess, it makes sense the way it is now, since the rockets do not rely on kinetic force, like the gun does.

i'm still interested if this is an intended feature though or a bug, or both, or just me being stupid...

thanks

Edited by twistking

Hope Im not way off... but a range retical makes no sense in ccip mode. Ccrp has tange reticals to indicate when to release, but ccip is computed impact point of a release at that moment.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Hope Im not way off... but a range retical makes no sense in ccip mode. Ccrp has tange reticals to indicate when to release, but ccip is computed impact point of a release at that moment.

you are right. however i am quite sure, that prior to the latest patch, the a-10c gave me a range cue on the ccip pipper, similar to the gun-pipper. (on the gun the cue does make sense though, since you can calculate impact for any range, but you need the cue, to know when you are in range for the kinetic energy of the bullets to penetrate.)

i always thought of the ccip cue for rockets as being the range for decent hit probability, but to be honest, i never thought much about it, until today i realized that the range cue is gone...

thanks for the answers!

The CCIP Rocket reticle should have an analog range bar. I haven't had a chance to fly in today's update but if it's not there it's a bug.

i'm on stable branch, so neither have i played on the latest update. as of now, i am quite sure that it's a little bug on my end, as i had also trouble with the ILS receiver on the a-10c. i will repair/verify my dcs client before checking again.

Range bar would be for break-X (ie don't fly into the ground trying to line up the shot).

ok. but if you call break-x the minimal range, what would the maximum range mean, or what would happen, if you fire before reaching max range?

since it's ccip, the rockets should still hit the ground at that point, right?

the manual only says:

Figure 412. CCIP Rocket HUD, Out of Range

When the slant range to target is less than 2 nm, the range numeric under the CCIP reticle is removed and the analog range bar within the reticle starts to unwind.

what would "out of range" mean in that case?

thanks for the answers!

i'm on stable branch, so neither have i played on the latest update. as of now, i am quite sure that it's a little bug on my end, as i had also trouble with the ILS receiver on the a-10c. i will repair/verify my dcs client before checking again.

ok. but if you call break-x the minimal range, what would the maximum range mean, or what would happen, if you fire before reaching max range?

since it's ccip, the rockets should still hit the ground at that point, right?

the manual only says:

what would "out of range" mean in that case?

The rockets aren't accurate like 30mm is. After a few thousand feet they will go wildly off course. I believe the range bar shows when you are within the range where they fly straight-ish.

The rockets aren't accurate like 30mm is. After a few thousand feet they will go wildly off course. I believe the range bar shows when you are within the range where they fly straight-ish.

ok. thanks. so you could think of the analogue range cue as going from "optimal" range to break-x, meaning you could potentially fire earlier (let's say at 2.5nm) with reduced accuracy while still expecting hits in the general area.

Rockets (well western ones) are area effect weapons, I don't have anything handy with a CEP on it, but I'd guess 50m probably. You shoot a bunch of them to hopefully hit something.

Off the top of my head I don't have a clue what the max range indication on the reticle would be, my guess is probably where they rockets still have enough velocity to provide a reasonable firing solution. For most US weapons systems with dynamic range cue'ing it's normally max range to min range, with halfway being optimal/ideal range.

You can absolutely fire out of range, and if you wanted to spend the time you could make or find a chart for the manual reticle depression and shoot them from WAY far back, in level flight.