A numerification question about ABRIS and PVI-800

exnihilodub

Hi everyone. I had a question/problem about ABRIS and PVI-800 waypoint numerification. This problem does not present itself when I start the mission in the air. Only happens when I select Ramp Start.

The PVI-800 stores the initial airport coordinates on the INIT memory and not on WP 1, whereas the ABRIS stores it with the 4-digit airport code (UGSB for example.).

The problem is; the ABRIS also stores the initial position as the first waypoint too (00001). So the waypoint 1 on PVI-800, correlates to waypoint 00002 on ABRIS. Waypoint 00003 on ABRIS is WP 2 on PVI-800 vice versa..

The problem is, this creates a minor disorientation, or navigation problems when I punch in the needed autopilot waypoint by referencing from ABRIS. I have to look at the ABRIS, substract 1 from the waypoint and punch it in the PVI-800.

Am I doing it the correct way? Or is there a workaround for this minor problem inside the mission editor or during mission planning inside the cockpit?

I thank you all for your support and wish all the pilots a good day :)

That is odd - I typically do cold starts from the ramp and afaik my waypoints in the PVI-800 correlate with the Abris map properly.

My takeoff location is typically airfield 1, and landing location airfield 2. My waypoints are of course in between.

Maybe someone more familiar can help you on what you are seeing, it does seem strange to me...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi exnihilodub, I'm not 100% sure I get your problem. Just for the sake of clarification, if you didn't know already, ABRIS and the PVI800 are communicating only one way: PVI -> ABRIS. PVI can't receive any data from the ABRIS, as the latter is a late addition to the KA50. While the ABRIS will be able to find the equivalent WP to what the PVI is currently set at, the reverse is not possible. And it's the PVI that communicates with the autopilot.

It's not mandatory for WP nomenclatures to match, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry if you knew all this already.

Yeah i did know that ABRIS is just a module that's been duct taped in the Ka-50 in some sense.

Let me rephrase my question:

For example: I place a ka-50 in kobuleti(ramp start), a waypoint in sea, and another waypoint in Batumi.

In ABRIS: 1st waypoint is kobuleti, 2nd waypoint is sea, and the 3rd and final waypoint is Batumi.

But in PVI-800: 1st waypoint is sea, and 2nd waypoint is Batumi, since it places my initial position on INIT PNT.

i hope this clarifies the problem

EDIT: I'll just start a premade mission that comes with the DLC and will look if it's OK there. Will let you guys know

EDIT: I think that mission designers rename every waypoint to correlate with the PVI-800. They rename 00003 as 2, 00004 as 3 etc.. / or give them names instead of numeric designations. I may be mistaken so I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me on this issue if you come across any information. Thanks anyway and I wish all of you a great day

Edited by exnihilodub
addition

• ED Team
EDIT: I think that mission designers rename every waypoint to correlate with the PVI-800. They rename 00003 as 2, 00004 as 3 etc.. / or give them names instead of numeric designations. I may be mistaken so I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me on this issue if you come across any information. Thanks anyway and I wish all of you a great day

Yeah, that's generally what I do when I design missions. But I do it to maintain a bit of situational awareness so you know where you're going, like WP3 is "FARP" on the ABRIS, WP4 is "TGT2", etc. Having said that, I actually rarely use the PVI for navigation along the route or to/from the airfields/homeFARP, I just use it to plug in target or battle position coordinates during the mission.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head