DCS: F-16C Block 50 by EDSA

Drapion

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, see post above

Was meant as an optional wishlist item

An optional completely different fuel system, with different fuel pipes and the effects those changes have on centre of gravity etc?

Such an "optional wishlist item" would only work in FC3 I bet, not a full fidelity module.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

An optional completely different fuel system, with different fuel pipes and the effects those changes have on centre of gravity etc?

Such an "optional wishlist item" would only work in FC3 I bet, not a full fidelity module.

That may be a valid Point. As far as i know the cft work as external tanks and just require aditional plumbing an connection to the fuel system on the upper fusielage. But i honestly don't know if changes on the internal fuel systems are required, too. Maybe mvsgas knows more about how the CFT's feed the fuel system. So good point :thumbup:

Idea was, that external stores have effects on centre of gravity and drag etc., too. If the CFT's may be implemented as external stores that can be chosen in the ME those effects can be realistically taken into account. I suspect that RAZBAM with their F-15E will have to think about that, too, since the CFT's can be removed from the Strike Eagle as well.

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

"by EDSA" means what?

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Furthermore, BST is Now Part of ED, So All BST Projects are now in the ED Timeline.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• ED Team
LOL yeah it will be nice to have legit F-16C. Regarding the fuel system, hell even the own jet doesn't work the greatest. It won't be a perfect module without a slow to feed external, FWD or AFT heavy, or generator failure. :megalol:

Could you elaborate a little bit on that? :music_whistling:

Will there be an announcement soon that "Belsimtek is part of ED" now? And does this mean there are more developers working on BST projects? (I'm sure many ED customers don't follow this thread)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Can you link it please?

thanks! Can't wait for multicrew Mi-24 ! :)

Could you elaborate a little bit on that? :music_whistling:

I can give a long version or a short version. For the sake of the thread I’ll keep it short.

F-16s seem to have more fuel transfer problems than any other current USAF fighter aircraft. Say a jet returns from flight with a FWD heavy condition. Basically means that his needles were not married by the end of the flight, and his FWD system had to be manually operated by selected FWD on the Fuel Panel.

We as technicians would try to isolate the problem. Usually duplicate the issue on the ground and change out any component that was called out in the manual. Aircraft returns to flight and has the same problem again. How can that be we changed everything. We do the same dance again, over and over. Until the jet finally stops having the issue.

F-16s with two externals typically should feed out evenly. Sometimes one can be slower than the other, other times one won’t feed until the other empties out. If the one waits on the other, the air system could be robbed from the non-feeding tank. Not allowing it to transfer until the other is done stealing all the air. Another scenario is the internal has a busted check valve and the feeding take is feeding both wings. Note a right external should only feed into the right internal wing, same for left to left.

F-16s with three bags are the worse. By design the jet should feed the centerline first. If the pilot wants the wings to go, they select wings first. A lot of times, they go wings first and either all three feed, or the centerline feeds. Note the centerline feeds both internal wings.

Post is getting rather long and I don’t want to get it to confusing. I can break it down more if needed just ask. The Viper is my baby and I’m excited to see it added to the lineup.

Ps typed on mobile, may have typos.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

lol, When the externals malfunction, you guys change those right? I mean, they are fuel tanks. :D

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

lol, When the externals malfunction, you guys change those right? I mean, they are fuel tanks. :D

Nope, put it on an “X” and punt it to the flight line. :megalol:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Panther:

Could you talk to us about the hydrazine? What is it? how is it used? etc.

To whom it may concern,

Panther:

Could you talk to us about the hydrazine? What is it? how is it used? etc.

TLDR: Read it anyway :book:

Hydrazine or H-70 (70% Hydrazine, 30% Water) is the propellant in the emergency power unit (EPU) on the F-16. When the aircraft loses engine power, the EPU automatically activates and provides power to the critical aircraft systems e.g. hydraulic and electrical systems. H-70 passes over a catalyst bed, which decomposes the hydrazine into a gaseous nitrogen, hydrogen and ammonia. The water helps control the decomposition temperature to prevent damage to the catalyst and the turbine. The water will evaporate into steam and aids in powering the EPU.

The EPU has two modes: Bleed air mode and Augmentation. Bleed air uses the engine bleed air to maintain operating speed. If the bleed air isn't sufficient, the augmentation mode occurs automatically. The minimum engine RPM needed to prevent hydrazine use is: PW220/229 75-80% or GE100/129 82-90%. Augmentation is basically the last ditch effort. It gives roughly 10 minutes of control to the F-16 if there is a total engine failure. However that time will drastically reduce if flight control surfaces are used. Enough time to hopefully find a airport, or enough time to bail out safely.

The EPU is designed to operate automatically under the following conditions: Main or Standby generator failures, dual hydraulic failures, PTO shaft or ADG failure, and engine flameout or if the engine is shutdown in flight.

EPU is always activated using Hydrazine, and then will switch to which mode is needed based on engine bleed air. The system takes about 2 seconds to come up to speed. Ground crew, this is why you must treat all tripped indicators as a threat...Nellis F-16 AMU I'm looking at you.

EPU spinup may not be audible from inside the cockpit, but doesn't sound the same as the EPU ground check. I personally think the ground check just sounds like air escaping the exhaust. Where as when the system activates, it sounds like a turbine being spun up at a very high rate and the pitch changes. The EPU operation can be verified in the cockpit via the EPU run light.

The switch in the cockpit is a 3-position switch, with a split but raise-able guard allowing for the switch to be in NORM, but guarded from OFF and ON. Off prevents or stops the EPU operation on the ground with WOW. Key thing, Weight on Wheels only!! It does not prevent or terminate an EPU operation in flight for Main and Standby generator failures if switch was cycled or placed to NORM at anytime after WOW was removed.

NORM, system is armed for automatic operation except during engine shutdown on the ground. With WOW and the throttle off, the EPU should not activate when the generators go offline. Keyword should not.

ON, activates the EPU regardless if there is a need for the system to operate. Rookie pilots do this a lot, and sometimes does it at the wrong time like when ground crew walk under or near the exhaust port. The temperature at the exhaust can be 1600°F (871°C), and it smells like ammonia and will irritate the eyes, nose. When exposed, you get a bath from the ARFF crews and stripped naked.

Also if you witness a F-16 crash, I highly recommend you not go near the crash site. Unless you are rendering aide to the pilot or others. If that is the case, seek medical attention from the first responders and advise them you may have been exposed to hydrazine. Try to limiting others to your exposure as well.

Okay enough about that, sheesh that turned out to be a rather long response.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks.

To whom it may concern,

• 4 weeks later...

Blah

I wonder if the Oshkosh overshoot would have activated the EPU? Just watched a video of the recovery of the jet and the intake was jammed with mud which probably means the engine was toast and probably failed. No one was wearing any special equipment around the jet (although I don’t know how long that stuff would take to evaporate- or how long it was before they lifted the jet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Oshkosh overshoot would have activated the EPU? Just watched a video of the recovery of the jet and the intake was jammed with mud which probably means the engine was toast and probably failed. No one was wearing any special equipment around the jet (although I don’t know how long that stuff would take to evaporate- or how long it was before they lifted the jet up.

The EPU activated according to the AIB report.

This is a direct PDF link, page 6

http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftAccidentReports/Documents/2011/072811_F-16C_Oshkosh.pdf

But, in reality the byproduct of hydrazine when it burns properly is would be water vapor, heat and ammonia IIRC. Before they would have worked on the aircraft, the Hydrazine tank would have been safetied. Unless someone was standing directly under the EPU exhaust, or if the hydrazine tank would have busted or leak ( very unlikely) I do not think anyone was in any danger.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

What sort of armament can a block 50 carry? Is it fitted with the JHMCS and/or 9X?

Yes, both. It can carry pretty much everything you can imagine (cannon, Sidewinders, AMRAAMs, iron bombs, LGBs, JDAMs, CBUs, SDBs, Mavericks, HARMs, cruise missiles, nukes, ...). Sparrows and Harpoons have never been used with the F-16 in US service AFAIK, but other countries did, as well as some other weapons in foreign service like Python, IRIS-T, Penguin and others. There really isn't much that the F-16 can not use.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have been on a few crash recoveries, including being very quick on the scene for a very scary one. Won't go into the details, but the report is available on the website for F-16C Aug 2015.

The things I have seen several people do around crashed aircraft, while my team is fully suited up in HAZMAT suits is just stupid :doh:. At least I don't have to worry about hydrazine exposure if I am fully suited up.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]