Anyone else get a VirPil VFX? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #21
LanceCriminal86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBelt View Post
I mean, I have a Warthog compatible FFB stick, but it's old and probably not long for this too cruel world, I'm just baffled everyone else doesn't, especially with how much "immersion" gets bandied about. You'd think the Manufacturers would be climbing over each other to sell FFB, not just pumping out more spring centered industrial machine controls with airplane handles.
My understanding, licensing cost. Basically one company is squatting on the patents/copyrights that include FFB under a "haptic feedback" patent/copyright, and they mercilessly pursue anyone that doesn't pay to play. And if you're doing smaller, niche market sticks and bases like VKB/Virpil the cost to volume they sell would probably put a huge hole in their sales. So in cases like Fanatecs (racing wheels) or the above mentioned super spendy FFB stick bases, they just bank on low volume high pricing. And Fanatecs seems to have a pretty hefty following so I'd bet they move more than enough volume to cover it.

A larger company like Thrustmaster or Logitech *should* be able to license it and have a lower impact on their bottom line, but for whatever reason it seems they've decided not to pursue it.

Other comparison is Apple, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft including haptic feedback to include rumble and vibrations in their smartphones and console controllers. That's who the patent squatters are targeting because they can easily absorb the cost compared to how much they will make per device.
LanceCriminal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #22
RustBelt

No the patent for joystick stuff expired this summer. I have a Fanatec wheel and it's pretty fantastic and frustrating that you add one more axis and suddenly you're asking for the moon on a platter.
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #23
RustBelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
"I have a Warthog compatible FFB stick"

Which one?
A Sidewinder FFB 2 with a Debolestis Warthog Adapter feeding to an MMJOY Arduino for the stick buttons.

It's not getting any younger. Someday I'm gonna get the big *pop* and that will be the end of that. And knowing my eBay luck I won't find another one.
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:51 AM   #24
LanceCriminal86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBelt View Post
No the patent for joystick stuff expired this summer. I have a Fanatec wheel and it's pretty fantastic and frustrating that you add one more axis and suddenly you're asking for the moon on a platter.
Well in that case, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Thrustmaster and Logitech have some kind of offering again. I'm sure there'd be R&D time needed, cost analysis, etc. for them to decide if it's worth it and what tiers to offer it at. Probably a longer effort for smaller shops.
LanceCriminal86 is offline   Reply With Quote