How godd is VR for A-10C ?

oho

I am thinking about buying Oculus Rift Bundle now.

Are the MFD (esp. TGP and Maverick) and HUD readable with VR.

Is it really a great step forward or is it very difficult to find Targets on the MFDs so that Missions in A-10 are not playable anymore. I use the full HD Cockpit Mod, can I use it with VR too?

Is it really a great step forward or is it very difficult to find Targets on the MFDs so that Missions in A-10 are not playable anymore. I use the full HD Cockpit Mod, can I use it with VR too?

I think you will find a difference of opinion on your first question, since some people have issues with detecting targets outside of VR. I lean towards the side where i think it should be difficult to start with and the clarity is not representative of real life. However some argue your vision can extend much further with good examples. You can be sure you see less, absolutely, in my opinion it stops the TGP being some god like super zoom, it's not a huge display to begin with anyway.

As for the HMD mod, I haven't tried, I suspect it won't work how you think, but if it does that's a super cool bonus. HMD's will no doubt be more of a thing in VR, I don't believe ED will miss that boat since it's part of the F-18C they are doing.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The HUD, MFD's and even engine dials, etc are fully readable. You can also toggle VR zoom under ui layer strings so you can zoom in on extra small fonts. But the A-10c is fine in VR, the cockpit is pretty large. I run a pixel density 1.8 or 2.0 depending on how I feel that day and I never had issues reading any of the texts.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Rift is amazing.

VR is absolutely amazing, I can still remember my first day with it, played about with the demo software at my sisters house (thats where my rift was delivered) so I'd had got a feel for it and the initial wow had died down a bit. THEN I got home and fired up DCS World, loaded up the f15 and boom, I must've sat there gazing around quivering and muttering "funk me!" for at least 5 minutes. I could never get the hang of the Huey before, but with VR you can sense when your drifting about so much better. I find most things readable in the a10 cockpit, I use radio helpers which takes out that chore and I know what most of the switches do without reading the labels anyway. The HUD and MFDs are pretty clear and the mouse interaction with everything is the best effort of any sim so far (If P3D 4 gets to this standard, I'll be happy) Having most of your essential controls mapped to your stick is also helpful. I just have my mouse in reach, its not hard to find without seeing it, it's always where you left it :)

• Like 1

You'll be amazed about *not* losing where the hell you are in orientation to the target, hilltop, airfield etc. You'll understand how real world FACs can say things like "150m north of the smoke" and pilots can say "roger that"

in VR, your brain knows exactly where you are in 3D space. In TIR, you see a picture, but you're brain *knows* you're not in the air. So there is no spacial orientation. In VR you have that spacial awareness which can lead to better situational awareness.

A real life fighter pilot wrote in a different thread (can't remember where) that when he taxied a DCS plane to the runway, he stopped and took a deep breath. Something he used to do before taking off in real life. He did it w/o thinking about it. He has never done that in DCS until he got the Rift. So what does that tell you about VR?

And wait until you see a SAM streaking up at you and you can defeat it by flying the plane in relation to the SAM.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I would echo the above, too much is made imo about the visibility in VR.

The SA you gain from being in VR far outways any resolution issues for me, you find yourself behind head up looking out of the pit so much more (which most would argue is what you should be doing anyway). You can really get a feel for the battlespace which means, you are only going to the TGP/other MFD fuctions for short periods to get that last bit of info before making your decisions and with the VR zoom function, there really isnt much difference using the MFDs in VR.

I HIGHLY recommend VR in the A10C..

I personally have worked around any issues with finding targets and do just fine! I don't run the a10c with out VR anymore, the immersion is just too good and easily out weighs a few minor issues.

VR zoom function really made things work for me.. I am in HOG HEAVEN!!

and +1 on the statement above about the HUEY.. The VR really has allowed me the ability to fly that helicopter with much more precision! Same goes for some minor air/air combat as I no longer lose track of my target as easy.. oh and did I mention, flying close formation off the wing tip of someone else is just about my favorite immersive feeling in VR

Edited by SharkBaztard

I've started to play DCS because of VR and I do not find any difficult in flying the a-10c. I managed to do a 10 seconds contact with kc135 refueling probe at my third try (to keep the contact is far more difficult, but I think I'll learn more easily in VR than I would have learned with the monitor).

P.S. I think the most difficult thing to learn in DCS is how not to be shot down by enemy defenses, but this is off-topic...

Edited by nessuno0505