It's time for an upgrade

GazAce

Hey groovy Pilots,

I currently use a MSi Dominator Pro LT, it has some pretty good specs under the hood for being 2 years old and was the first with an 8GB Nvidia 980M but it's definitely time to move up. I've had my eye on a particular system for a couple of months now and all the reviews are pretty good. It's a tad pricey but it's around my budget and I know it would be cheaper to build my own but I just want one that's ready to go, plug n play and start flying my Hawg the day I unbox it. So I was just wondering if anyone out there has this model or their thoughts about it and any tips I should know before setting her up. Oh yea, I use a 55" 4K Samsung tv monitor and high speed HDMI cables through a 5:1 ch AV unit, I recently purchased a new Sony 7:2 system but DCS didn't like it as I was getting some terrible tearing across my screen whilst moving my camera around, in and out of my cockpit. I took it back 5 days later and got a refund. Anyway, cheers , G :thumbup:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Branded-Systems/Gaming-Systems/67169-AEGIS-X3-014AU

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Not sure where you are but for a $1000 less you could build it yourself where I am in TX, Frys and Microcenter price match. Its almost as simple as putting together Lego.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I would agree that you are paying a ridiculous premium for the gear in that system...for $3000 you ought to be able to build Skynet. I'd recommend checking out NewEgg.com if that's an option for you, they have a number of pre-built systems at more reasonable prices.

For example:

At a quick glance, here's a 6th gen i7/1080 rig for $1600 with OS and an SSD. Couldn't hurt to add a little extra RAM but otherwise looks like a monster.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=238-007E-00001

Edited by feefifofum

I could not possibly consider anything less than a 1080ti for a new build at the time. For that money I would also want 32GB of RAM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback and I kinda knew I would attract those comments but that's cool, I understand it's cheaper to put a rig together yourself and I'm actually still considering that idea but with that, there are variables also like warranty and having all the ports available and stuff you know. Sure I would like to spend less but you must understand also here in Auz things are not cheap ie: $3,000 AUD = $2,369 USD Our dollar is crappola so your rig in the States for the same dough compared to one here in Australia is like chalk n cheese. I'm concerned about warranty and if it's going to be too noisy and is cooling system going to be suitable and will there be enough HDMI outs or USB etc etc. And yea I really like putting stuff together, that'd be fun but what happens if it doesn't perform or is too loud or gets too hot or the wrong lego bits don't fit or or? I really dig the specs and the look of that system but yea I know it's too expensive. I don't know what to do. Anyway, thanks kindly for your tips.

Cheers G noexpression.gif

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I would agree that you are paying a ridiculous premium for the gear in that system...for $3000 you ought to be able to build Skynet. I'd recommend checking out NewEgg.com if that's an option for you, they have a number of pre-built systems at more reasonable prices.

For example:

At a quick glance, here's a 6th gen i7/1080 rig for $1600 with OS and an SSD. Couldn't hurt to add a little extra RAM but otherwise looks like a monster.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=238-007E-00001

Thanks, appreciate that. Check this out, this one is with GTX 1060 and still $2K on special! Things are pricey over here, almost worth my while getting one shipped over.

ASUS ROG I7-7700 16Gb 256Gb SSD GTX1060 W10 RGB LED Mini Gaming

Looked like it was listing $3000 US on my phone; point is, you can find prebuilt, warrantied machines with better components for a lot less money.

The prices seem extremely high from this site, $2400 for a system with a 1070 is highway robbery.

Yea I agree, I'm going to investigate further and I like the idea of putting one together myself but I've never done it before. There are companies over here that build em for you to your specs. This mob got some good reviews..

https://evatech.com.au/

I think you're well inside the budget where you should expect to find a 1080...

Performance wise, I believe a 980TI outperforms the 1060. The XX60 cards are Nvidia ' s budget line.[/quote

The new Titan card over here is well over $1400 They're so expensive over here but yea I really want to stick with NVidia and $3K is my absolute limit. Check these prices from one of our major retailers and another online store over here.. it's crazy man

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&q=MSI+graphics&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Gaming%20-%20Graphic%20Cards&utm_term=nvidia%20geforce&utm_content=NVIDIA%20-%20GeForce&gclid=CKiY-ofk1NUCFcQnvAodtYIDAA&gclsrc=ds

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_876?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PCCG%20-%20AU%20-%20Graphics%20Cards&utm_term=%2Bnvidia%20%2Bcard&utm_content=Graphics%20Cards%20-%20Nvidia&gclid=CImg2rTl1NUCFVKnvAodwUADvQ&gclsrc=ds

Still seems a little pricey for higher end options but much better than the first place. The Titan card is a different class of beast than the 1080 and unless you're trying to do triple screen 4K setups is wholly unnecessary...

I think you'll be very happy with a standard GeForce 1080. I put together something along the lines of that link I sent you for $2600 AUD on that site.

Edited by feefifofum

Still seems a little pricey for higher end options but much better than the first place. The Titan card is a different class of beast than the 1080 and unless you're trying to do triple screen 4K setups is wholly unnecessary...

I think you'll be very happy with a standard GeForce 1080. I put together something along the lines of that link I sent you for $2600 AUD on that site.

Hi GazAce,

Where abouts are you, I'm about 2 hours north of Syd and would be glad to help. A little over 25 years building systems, plenty of experience, also have a great wholesaler to supply parts. PM me if you want.

Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

That's really a bad deal. I was in your spot awhile ago and bought the system below. I hate to keep posting this, but i've never found a better deal. It runs DCS perfect at high fps and I only have the 1060 card. You can get it with the 1080 TI and it's still $800 cheaper than what you say yours would be for US prices. Plus, it would have a way better GPU and 32G of ram. It also says CPU is 4.2, but mine came at 4.5 and 4.7 still runs smooth in DCS and is only one mouse click to change.

Check it out.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16883102273

Buzz

If you are going to spend this amount of cash here in Aus and dont want to save a good amount of cash setting it up yourself, then at least get something like this.

AMD Ryzen, 1080ti only a little past the budget.

i7 7700K, 1080 for 2800 with AIO included, if you are spending this much, I would perhaps stay with the i7 7700K for now if you are going to overclock, even a little overclock. The Ryzen is still a good buy tho with 8 Cores & 16 Threads, which will be good when more games and DCS utilize more Cores. For now the 7700K overclocked will give you the best performance.

Full list of PCs

I get my parts from MSY

You can download and compare the prices from MSY to the PC's above and see what you can get if you were to build it yourself.

If you need help deciding to build or not or just for ideas, there are some good guys here that will be happy to help you, start a thread in the PC Hardware and Related Software section or send me a PM. You can see my build here.

Asus Maximus IX Hero - i7 7700k Kaby Lake Build.

I used this video above to get some idea, as I haven't built a PC in years, I was able to get better parts with the money saved, like the motherboard, M.2 NVMe drive and power supply.

For the money you are spending, you could possibly build my PC in my sig, with the 1080ti, minus the M.2 NVMe drive which is not really needed, just get the 850 EVO 500TB SSD and a few standard HDD's. That thing would be a beast with a 5 GHz overclock & 1080ti.

If you still just want to just go and buy something, print out and at least use the examples of what you can get from PC Case Gear 3000 dollar systems, you want to get the best bang for your buck GazAce, with flght sims there is no limit to the power you need.

I recently purchased a new Sony 7:2 system but DCS didn't like it as I was getting some terrible tearing across my screen whilst moving my camera around, in and out of my cockpit. I took it back 5 days later and got a refund. Anyway, cheers , G

It's nice to have a big screen and all, the problem is there not very quick at all, I would not go without a monitor with G-SYNC @ 100 Hz, I cannot explain just how smooth it is with a good PC, little expensive.

EDIT

Quick search on www.umart.com.au

Umart Crystal 1080 Gaming PC $2650.0 aud

7700 CPU

Cooler master hyper 212X CPU cooler

Z270 Motherboard

GTX 1080 OC

1 year waranty upgrade to 3 years.

They charge 95 to build custom PCs.

You can build your own PC there, you really want the 7700K 4.2 GHz Unlocked CPU version, for an extra 43 bucks, so you can slightly overclock to get better value and great performance.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Problem solved*

Hi GazAce,

Where abouts are you, I'm about 2 hours north of Syd and would be glad to help. A little over 25 years building systems, plenty of experience, also have a great wholesaler to supply parts. PM me if you want.

Cheers

Thanks Harp that's very kind of you and I appreciate it greatly as I do all tips and comments concerning this. This community is truly awesome and so helpful, I'm blessed. And I totally made up my mind thanks to everyone here. I am so NOT going to dish out 3K or more on a new system when for the same dough I can have state of the art specs and more than what I would get as buying one off the shelf. I work for Sydney Trains and there's hundreds of folks actually thousands and in my Depot prob a few hundred which is great because there's always someone that's knows something about that particular something. Anyway this afternoon just before starting my shift I'm having a yap with a mate and he saw me scrolling though these comments on my work iPad and I told him my dilemma. And he said "no worries mate, I build those suckers" was like gold hearing that and he's going to show me how to put together a mean machine and another bonus is where he gets his bits n pieces from is MSY which someone here kindly mentioned and is in Hurstville the adjacent suburb from where I live, only 5 mins drive. Only had a few mins but we scratched out a few things to get the ball rollng...

$415 - I7- 7700 CPU

$199 - MB Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3

$280 - 85 Samsung SSD x 2 256gb?

$789 - GTX 1080 ASUS

..and there's also the cooling system, power supply, tower and sound card to think about, not sure what else? And this mob MSY charge only $90 to put one together for you but I would prefer putting it together with a friend so I can change stuff around later and also learn. Well, thanks again for all your input, it's really helped.

Cheers G

:thumbup:

If you are going to spend this amount of cash here in Aus and dont want to save a good amount of cash setting it up yourself, then at least get something like this.

AMD Ryzen, 1080ti only a little past the budget.

i7 7700K, 1080 for 2800 with AIO included, if you are spending this much, I would perhaps stay with the i7 7700K for now if you are going to overclock, even a little overclock. The Ryzen is still a good buy tho with 8 Cores & 16 Threads, which will be good when more games and DCS utilize more Cores. For now the 7700K overclocked will give you the best performance.

Full list of PCs

I get my parts from MSY

You can download and compare the prices from MSY to the PC's above and see what you can get if you were to build it yourself.

If you need help deciding to build or not or just for ideas, there are some good guys here that will be happy to help you, start a thread in the PC Hardware and Related Software section or send me a PM. You can see my build here.

Asus Maximus IX Hero - i7 7700k Kaby Lake Build.

I used this video above to get some idea, as I haven't built a PC in years, I was able to get better parts with the money saved, like the motherboard, M.2 NVMe drive and power supply.

For the money you are spending, you could possibly build my PC in my sig, with the 1080ti, minus the M.2 NVMe drive which is not really needed, just get the 850 EVO 500TB SSD and a few standard HDD's. That thing would be a beast with a 5 GHz overclock & 1080ti.

If you still just want to just go and buy something, print out and at least use the examples of what you can get from PC Case Gear 3000 dollar systems, you want to get the best bang for your buck GazAce, with flght sims there is no limit to the power you need.

It's nice to have a big screen and all, the problem is there not very quick at all, I would not go without a monitor with G-SYNC @ 100 Hz, I cannot explain just how smooth it is with a good PC, little expensive.

EDIT

Quick search on www.umart.com.au

Umart Crystal 1080 Gaming PC $2650.0 aud

7700 CPU

Cooler master hyper 212X CPU cooler

Z270 Motherboard

GTX 1080 OC

1 year waranty upgrade to 3 years.

They charge 95 to build custom PCs.

You can build your own PC there, you really want the 7700K 4.2 GHz Unlocked CPU version, for an extra 43 bucks, so you can slightly overclock to get better value and great performance.

That's awesome David, I really appreciate that man. I'm definitely going to build one with a friend and as I said in my other recent post above, MSY is just around the corner from where I live so that's handy. I'm just interested in what you said about the monitor and I'm hoping my Samsung 4K tv will be good enough? And will I still be able to utilise my AV 5:1 ch unit and its speakers or do I have to start thinking about other alternatives with a good sound card. As I have it rigged now is.. and I know it may sound archaic to some but I run a high speed HDMI cable from my LT through to my AV unit and then from the AV to the TV and the picture and sound are fine. I don't want to get too bogged down in this, I'll just take one step at a time, I just hope I can still use all my six speakers as the sound is grand and big and fills the room nicely.

Thanks again David, much appreciated mate.

Cheers G :thumbup:

My only advice here is to make sure it's the 7700K the K version of this CPU is rated at 4.2 GHz and turbos at 4.5 GHz.

My 7700K CPU, without pushing it at all (5.1 GHz), sits at 4.8 GHz very safe and truly transformed DCS on my setup.

If you want to stay at this speed or push higher, you will need good aftermarket CPU cooling. I recommend my AIO the Corsair H100i V2 Radiator or for Air cooling the Noctua NH-D15 or something similar, make sure these will fit in your PC case.

You definitely want to at least push to 4.8 GHz, that matched with one of the new graphics cards 1080 or 1080ti if you can, you will be rocking at 4K or VR.:thumbup:

I'm still only using my old 1070 from my other PC, it's all good still @ 5 GHz, with max settings in DCS and Res @ 1440P.

You want the HDMI to go straight to the TV if going for 4K and trying to cut down on lag as much as possible, turn the TV sound off (Game mode on? If you have it...) and use the on board sound to the amplifier, if possible, or you may need a sound card? Never setup a PC through an amplifier before. My Asus Maximus IX Hero has 7.1 built into it, not that I use it, most of the time I use 7.1 headphones with

attached.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

My only advice here is to make sure it's the 7700K the K version of this CPU is rated at 4.2 GHz and turbos at 4.5 GHz.

My 7700K CPU, without pushing it at all (5.1 GHz), sits at 4.8 GHz very safe and truly transformed DCS on my setup.

If you want to stay at this speed or push higher, you will need good aftermarket CPU cooling. I recommend my AIO the Corsair H100i V2 Radiator or for Air cooling the Noctua NH-D15 or something similar, make sure these will fit in your PC case.

You definitely want to at least push to 4.8 GHz, that matched with one of the new graphics cards 1080 or 1080ti if you can, you will be rocking at 4K or VR.:thumbup:

I'm still only using my old 1070 from my other PC, it's all good still @ 5 GHz, with max settings in DCS and Res @ 1440P.

I'll definitely take that onboard, thanks kindly and yes I'm really conscious about it directly relating to DCS and performance as I want a system that'll not have to be upgraded for a little while you know and one that'll be able to run everything incl the F-18 Hornet if I make the transition. I've been browsing and I know I mentioned I def won't buy off the shelf but I noticed that MSY mob also sell good high end gaming rigs that they build there, and man they're way cheaper than MSi or Alienware that have similar specs. If you've got a min have a look at the M.spec. Rising Force RF 2 for $3499, man that's a beast, it's something to think about anyway. And them being around the corner from me is good if there's any problems you know. http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/risingforce.pdf and I reckon those specs in an MSi system would cost near $5K. And just one question.. what's it mean when they state "unlocked 8 core and 16 thread" or "performance 6 core with 12 thread" I'm guessing this is CPU related yes?

Edited by GazAce

I like to know and research the parts that went into my rig, not exactly sure want is in this build? RGB is just the flash lighting, 5% quicker with lights LOL, I would talk with MSY.

It still looks and would be much better than what you were looking at, MSY is my benchmark for any PC cost in Australia, they are normally cheaper with the same parts then anyone else. They setup usually in industrial estates, not much to their stores, straight out of the shed pretty much, to keep their cost down.

I'll definitely take that onboard, thanks kindly and yes I'm really conscious about it directly relating to DCS and performance as I want a system that'll not have to be upgraded for a little while you know and one that'll be able to run everything incl the F-18 Hornet if I make the transition. I've been browsing and I know I mentioned I def won't buy off the shelf but I noticed that MSY mob also sell good high end gaming rigs that they build there, and man they're way cheaper than MSi or Alienware that have similar specs. If you've got a min have a look at the M.spec. Rising Force RF 2 for $3499, man that's a beast, it's something to think about anyway. And them being around the corner from me is good if there's any problems you know. http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/risingforce.pdf and I reckon those specs in an MSi system would cost near $5K. And just one question.. what's it mean when they state "unlocked 8 core and 16 thread" or "performance 6 core with 12 thread" I'm guessing this is CPU related yes?
I'm fairly certain I can match that RF2 spec and keep it under your original $3K limit. Give a day or so and I'll spec up a system for you.

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit