Reputation System

NineLine

It appears to me that you (admin) had to respond to an emergent issue, and suspending the rep system was the best rapid response available. I'm really glad that you guys act decisively when the need arises. I believe it is very important to avoid exposing people to abuse, and if the question must be an either/or I accept it may be best to continue without the system.

Ultimately, I do hope we get some kind of rep system back, and that people who had a large amount of positive rep receive something equivalent when the new system is implemented. On overclock.net there is a clear concept of when someone should provide positive rep, and when someone new didn't do so they were gently informed of the convention by admin. I know it's not as simple here, but clearer guidelines for when and why someone should rep can only be a good thing.

As someone who has needed a lot of help to learn DCS and continues to do so, I found the rep system pretty helpful. When someone made a suggestion I did look at their rep, especially if it was a suggestion that went against others or was counter-intuitive to me.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know these pictures of North Korean generals each wearing like 35 giant medals? That's how it feels to have high reputation :D

123137.jpg

north-korea.jpg

:D

I would love a dark version of the site for sure, we will have to see how it goes when it gets upgraded.

Good to know there is hope ;)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

its not only the points, you could send someone a quick short message why his post was stupid or good without resorting to a proper MSG, that might get lost if the inbox is full

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

maybe you can implement a post voting system instead.

if we like the post, we can vote (+), and (-) if we don't

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

maybe you can implement a post voting system instead.

if we like the post, we can vote (+), and (-) if we don't

Yes, I like that one.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

"+1"-only post's are cancer and there should be a rule against them. What does that really add to any discussion? Atleast with the reputation system there was a alternative to give feedback, without useless spam.

Same in mod threads, people simply saying "thx! great mod!" while it might be nice to stroke the ego of the creator that way, it is very useless in the grand sheme of things. In depth feedback will be drowned out while people scroll past countless of useless one line posts.

Edited by ApoNOOB

"+1"-only post's are cancer and there should be a rule against them. What does that now really add? Atleast with the reputation system there was a alternative to give feedback, without useless spam.

+1

Oh, wait...

QED :smartass:

. A only "positive" rep option would be a good solution imho.

no sometimes you need to tell people how stupid thier post is without derailing the thread itself:music_whistling:

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

• ED Team
no sometimes you need to tell people how stupid thier post is without derailing the thread itself:music_whistling:

Thank your for illustrating why the system is now disabled. NO you do not need to show people how stupid you think they are. You can report posts if they break the rules, but because someone has a differing opinion from you or looks at something different doesnt mean you need to insult them, etc...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

IMO the standard positive rep button with the option to write a text would do the job. Because words take more effect than just a like or dislike button, surely it's the same with the negative side.

However most of us know that disrespecting or being absolutely rude is no option at all and for those that don't want to know receive their ban/punishment. I think leaving anything out that resembles negativity is the best way to go.

For me there needs to be an option to share thoughts and opinions quickly other than using the PM system. If you don't agree with someone and want to leave constructive criticism (which doesn't resemble negativity to me) a "neutral" button allowing to share your thoughts, with another option of just liking that post, might be a solution.

Edited by Texac

• ED Team

This issue with the ability to comment with no visibility to anyone makes it such an easy system to abuse, especially when a new user comes in, says something that a 'veteran' user might deem as stupid, sends an abusive message via the rep system and that new user bails forever because of it. Maybe they dont know to contact a moderator, or that this isnt the normal behavior here.

We just need a better system.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

He's a "veteran" here on this forum and still doesn't know how to respect others and probably did not read the rules as yet... I think he should be punished instead. I wouldn't really call him a veteran, a true veteran would respect the others. This is a place for everyone.

But sounds like you're looking at the negative part of the story. Countless the number of times I spoke to really nice people here because of the rep system.

Again, if there is a problem with the current/old system, and it's being abused by a minority, maybe you could forget the rest of the community and pay close attention to those breaking the rules.

As I said before, a warning label explaining how you must use the system and in case someone breaks the rules, you can report it (with instructions).

I am not gonna lie, there were moments here where I almost lost my mind :D And the rep system prevented me from posting something offensive. I don't want to receive warnings, nor negative reps :) Or even a ban!

This issue with the ability to comment with no visibility to anyone makes it such an easy system to abuse, [...]

If that were the case, how do you know there has been abuse of the system in the first place?

[...] especially when a new user comes in, says something that a 'veteran' user might deem as stupid, sends an abusive message via the rep system and that new user bails forever because of it. Maybe they dont know to contact a moderator, or that this isnt the normal behavior here.

So where is the difference to PMs? If someone does not know how to contact a moderator, there is no difference to me.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

• ED Team
If that were the case, how do you know there has been abuse of the system in the first place?

We have had to answer many PM's and support tickets from angry users who do not understand the system or have received abusive rep messages, often it is their first contact with DCS which is not a good start.

We need a better system, and when ED find one the team will take a look.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

We need a better system, [...]

Given what one or two others said earlier, I understand that. I was just trying to comprehend the logic of the argumentation.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

As I've said before, the PM system seems to be more open to abuse than the rep system ever was, but:

We have had to answer many PM's and support tickets from angry users who do not understand the system or have received abusive rep messages, often it is their first contact with DCS which is not a good start.

We need a better system, and when ED find one the team will take a look.

But surely you have enough feedback here to implement that ?

Overwhelmingly the responses are that people would like the ability to push a "+" button and have the poster see that someone appreciated the post.

If negative text comments were the issue, don't have a comment space.

(... & doing that in the first place would have been less code editing than removing the whole system...)

????

Cheers.

• ED Team

ED would have to find a system that works with the forum, however we may see a change with the forum in the future.

This isn't going to be something that is replaced quickly.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

[...] especially when a new user comes in, says something that a 'veteran' user might deem as stupid, sends an abusive message via the rep system and that new user bails forever because of it.

I'd like to re-iterate what was said before: How is this different from PMs?

The argument seems to be the same, except that PMs can be reported by clicking a small, non-self-describing button, and who knows if this is even available in Tapatalk that so many people seem to use nowadays (rep certainly isn't).

Not knowing the configureability of vBulletin, it seems like disabling the text-box in the rep-system would be an easy workaround. Actually, adding 'disabled="disabled"' in the right template would probably take a lot less time than reading our combined rants and ramblings. :D