How to Land the Dora

wolle

Hold the stick all the way aft.

That fixed it, when holding it 60% back the tail is way stiffer and take off is less difficult. The manual should be more specific instead of:

Pushing the stick forward unlocks the tail wheel, thereby making steering difficult. The best takeoff procedure is to hold the tail down until sufficient speed for rudder control is attained and then to allow the tail to rise slowly. Some rudder input may be necessary to maintain heading as the tail is lifted and stabilized in a takeoff attitude.

Which suggested the wheel would be locked in neutral or at least small amounts of back on cyclic.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found you have to hold the stick quite a long way back to get it to lock the tail wheel.

Turning with the tail wheel is quite fun and a matter of moving the stick to center, stamping on a toe brake and pulling back on the stick to lock again and stamping on the opposite toe with timing to execute these snappy 90 degree turns.

And messing up is equally fun doing a 180 and pretending you were headed off the other direction :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Crying over Dora difficulty starting to be ridiculous. It is harder to taxi because it cannot steer with rudder. And it is not harder to takeoff. Just different. I seems that many simmers just cannot use rudder properly.

That's not quite fair, as the others are easier to take off with than the Dora.

I think a lot of people are so used to setting 6 degree right rudder on the P51D that they've either forgotten why (or don't know) why they do that, so are very suprised when they no longer have that crutch to lean on when it comes to the Dora. P51D's steerable tailwheel helps a lot as well.

I suspect we'll see the same complaints when it comes to the BF-109K.

That's not quite fair, as the others are easier to take off with than the Dora.

I think a lot of people are so used to setting 6 degree right rudder on the P51D that they've either forgotten why (or don't know) why they do that, so are very suprised when they no longer have that crutch to lean on when it comes to the Dora. P51D's steerable tailwheel helps a lot as well.

I suspect we'll see the same complaints when it comes to the BF-109K.

I think it is fair. The aircraft was made like this, it fly like this and we must just learn it. Agree with your BF 109. I already prepurchasef it and as it deliver, it will cause the endless topic about take off and landing.:lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree that it is more difficult, but not out of line with reality. Tail draggers are twitchy, cranky beasts, especially when that wheel is on a caster.

For me, the easiest TO is to put the stick in the middle of the lower right quadrant of the controls indicator. Slam the throttle forward. A little right rudder will relax into a little left rudder and at that point she is ready to get airborne. At this point the right wing will droop and all you do is gently bring it up and ease the nose down. Take a deep breath and you are airborne.

Crying over Dora difficulty starting to be ridiculous. . . . it is not harder to takeoff. Just different. . . .

I agree - FULLY!!!

Yes, the Dora has a quite challenging FM - quite similar to the true flight characteristic of the real thing.

Verified by a real WWII Pilot! Just this challenge makes this sim matchless.

What do you want? Easy flying?

O.k., Why not switch to GAME mode. It will cure all your issues and complaints about bugs.

When I started to fly the Dora I realized, that it is the most defying sim plane I ever have flown.

Now, after some weeks of flying, I gain more and more safe control in take-offs and landings, I achieve

an increasing number of successes. Learning curve! That's the positive sense of achievement.

If DCS planes would be easy to fly I wouldn't fly them.

Biologist’s say: Even an octopus can learn. It’s all about learning curve, not bugs.

W.E. (real taildragger pilot)

• Like 1

Actually, I think that it is quantifiably more difficult. All we have to do is count the number of craters next to the German airfields.

I don't know. I was reeeeeally bad with Mustang when I purchased it. Destroyed 20 aircrafts (full sim settings) and then I always prayed for succesfull takeoff. It is much better now. I can make some consistent results (I still don't fly Mustie too much). Maybe it's the thing that Dora likes me :) I safely took off on my 2nd attempt. It is always about learning from everyone's own mistakes. What I actually like is her ridiculously short takeoff distance. It accelerates like rocket. 4-5 seconds to keep her on runway and you are safe.

Since I own and fly many other modules, I wonder who else noticed that takeoff stick position is pretty much the same as the one in Mi-8 in hover?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I mentioned about 20 pages before, the problem was the manual being not clear on how to lock the tailwheel. I thought central cyclic pitch would keep it locked so I was sliding like a piece of soap. Pulling the cyclic 60% back makes it super stiff and then it is like the P-51 on take off.

Very nice!!! I love the engine physics when it bounces off a runway a little and then goes straight. It's a pleasure to watch.

What was your wind speed and direction relative to runway?

Edited by lesnyborsuk

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

carrier landing..........

Edited by TwilightZone

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

25 headwind.....EDIT srry just checked.......going away direction at 11kts.......tried to turn the dam thing around after landing but couldn't get it to do it lol

Edited by TwilightZone

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

. . .tried to turn the dam thing around after landing but couldn't get it to do it lol

what do you mean by "...tried to turn it around after landing..."?

I don't see anything wrong with this extraordinary landing.

You didn't even use of the full landing area of the carrier. Great.

This video is pretty challenging to all who are complaining here about Dora bugs.

what do you mean by "...tried to turn it around after landing..."?

I don't see anything wrong with this extraordinary landing.

You didn't even use of the full landing area of the carrier. Great.

This video is pretty challenging to all who are complaining here about Dora bugs.

tried to turn around to take off because each time i went forward with the room to spare the cables on the deck messed me up lol or atleast thats what it seemed:doh:

tried to turn around to take off because each time i went forward with the room to spare the cables on the deck messed me up lol or atleast thats what it seemed:doh:

Now I get it.

Placing the Dora on a carrier for take off isn't an option in the Mission Editor.

Because there wasn't any functional German WWII aircraft carrier.

The only carrier "Graf Zeppelin" was under construction during WWII and had never been finished.

But for the P-51D it could be a possible option for the sim.

On Nov 15, 1944, naval pilot Bob Elder started flight tests in a P-51D-5-NA 44-14017 from the deck of the carrier Shangri-La.

This Mustang had been fitted with an arrestor hook, which was attached to a reinforced bulkhead behind the tail wheel opening.

Note: There wasn't any catapult support.