generator failure

i have a question some times ill be flying along and ill hear "generator 2 failure, generator two failure" then with out doing anything different or seeing any obvious warning lights "generator 1 failure, generator 1 failure" but the odd thing is it doesn't seem to affect the way the mi-8 flies or cause me any noticeable problems.

what am i doing that is triggering this, and what happens when the generators fail, and can i fix them in flight?

Unlike the early versions of the Hip, the variant we've got in the game has generators mounted on rotor gearbox rather than engines. Thus, if rotor RPM drops below certain treshold (and unfortunately this limit is pretty high, 88-90% If I recall correctly), both generators disengage, taking out half of the systems with them :D. The chopper will still fly, but for example with all autopilot channels going off (that's the first thing you notice), it will certainly become more difficult to handle. Don't remember how many other things stop working, as It's been ages since I had generator failure.

How to fix the issue? Lower collective to unload the rotor, so that RPM goes up again (generators will engage automatically again by themselves, though autopilot will not!), and generally fly smoother and to avoid sudden RPM drops in the first place. Also monitor power usage carefully on the relevant gauge (the linear, vertical one with yellow and red triangles on it, located on the bottom of the instrument panel) whenever flying high in the mountains or with heavy cargo, when rotor overload and RPM drop is more likely to happen.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Don't forget to reactivate Roll-Pitch Autopilot when Gens are back online.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Well i forgot in 2 years. Besides Art-J's answer was very comprehensive thank you. auto pilot for roll? i need to re do the training. I got the Mi-8 when it first came out and the training missions were pretty crappy and the cockpit was entirely in Russian as well. i'm having a hard time hovering and landing. i keep chopping my tail off.

mind if ask that question here or should i start another thread? how to land without chopping my damned tail off.

It will also trip out the generators if you over RPM the rotors too,... Damn things must be made out of egg shells. :P

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well i forgot in 2 years. Besides Art-J's answer was very comprehensive thank you. auto pilot for roll? i need to re do the training. I got the Mi-8 when it first came out and the training missions were pretty crappy and the cockpit was entirely in Russian as well. i'm having a hard time hovering and landing. i keep chopping my tail off.

mind if ask that question here or should i start another thread? how to land without chopping my damned tail off.

Eh, they're still a bit crappy and explain things briefly, or not at all. Don't pay much attention to them, manual and youtube tutorial vids are your best option.

Autopilot in this chopper is a stability-augumentation device, which makes the machine easier to handle in all phases of flight... but obviously you have to turn it on first :D. It has 4 channels, 2 of them are optional (yaw and altitude) but 2 of them, roll and pitch, are mandatory as per manual and you shouldn't even try to fly without them, unless you want to chop off your tail more often.

Also it's not a bad idea to tick "autopilot automation" in special options for this module - that will enable AI flight engineer, who will tune these AP channels in flight to keep the chopper more stable. As an AI guy, he does make some stupid things every now and then, but he's usually OK in his job.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

i have a question some times ill be flying along and ill hear "generator 2 failure, generator two failure" then with out doing anything different or seeing any obvious warning lights "generator 1 failure, generator 1 failure" but the odd thing is it doesn't seem to affect the way the mi-8 flies or cause me any noticeable problems.

what am i doing that is triggering this, and what happens when the generators fail, and can i fix them in flight?

Too hard or too fast on the collective in a climb or too hard in turn turn (collective and cyclic).

A gen failure is fine in an aggressive manoeuvre but as mentioned before, some of your favourite APs have switched off.

The pitch AP is the only one I sweat about, the others are for long relaxing flights.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Check out Youtube for a lot of training material on the Mi-8.

As stated before by others, treat her gently, small control inputs and let time pass to see how she reacts, no yanking cyclic or collective!

The manual states that collective changes should not exceed 2 degrees per second IIRC, so give it to her gentle and easy.

Any other questions?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• 1 month later...

I also notice that when on a fast approach if I put the nose high and I drop the collective a little to much the rotor rpm will overspeed and generator 2 will drop off line but when the rotor speed returns to normal it autoresets and comes back on line.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

i experienced this re-playing the spring tension campaign.

in mission 4, it was imposible to take of, always hear "generator 1 failure, generator 2 failure"

i hadn't had same error when playing on 1.5

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 3 weeks later...

The main causes of generator failure are rotor over speed or rotor under speed thats it.

If you experience this condition the AP system will drop out and you will need to re-engage these systems, until then you just have to use more input to fly it mostly in the anti-torque inout and it's quite noticeable when picking up or setting down or coming into or out of ETL. Other then that it's still very flyable without AP systems online.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.