Revisiting the Dora - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
FSKRipper

Thanks for clearing this up Yo-Yo. The best cook can't work without sharp knives

Last edited by FSKRipper; 06-30-2015 at 10:38 PM.
FSKRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
rrohde
Veteran

This was very cool - Thanks for posting this. Maybe in part 2 Erich will get some more stick-time. I hope that there will be a lot more story telling by him as well. This is priceless.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1 | Samsung Odyssey+ | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO

rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
BIGNEWY
Senior

Enjoyed watching the video, what a great insight.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #14
MarkP

im from germany, so i dont need those subtitles.

At first - what a GREAT Clip. I absolute love some random facts, for example in the beginning where he said that they never do preflight checks or idle till the engine was warming up - they just hop in, started the D9 up and full throttle
I love facts like these and ususalyl olderys tend to explain stuff with these facts. Also the one where he landed at the village. Great, just great!!

Whats funyn tho, the interviewer asked, if he pressed the brakes, full throttle and then released - he said no. A few moments later he told a story with the landing and take off at the village where he needed the brakes for the full throttle start

BLACKTAILS SQUADRON

Active-Modules: F/A-18C Hornet, AJS37 Viggen, Mirage 2000C, UH-1D Huey, KA-50, SU-27
Unactive-Modules: FW190, BF109, F-86, MIG-21, A-10C, Hawk, Gazelle, MI-8, SU-33
Maps: 1944 Normandy, NTTR, Persian Gulf
Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, Thrustmasters Wathog Throttle, Saitek TFRP Rudder, Oculus Rift
PC Specs: Intel 8700K, MSI Z370-A Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, Win 10x64
MarkP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
Echo38

Very cool interview! I noticed that you had him wearing a TrackIR in the beginning, but he never used it in any of the flying sequences. I'm guessing he found it too disorienting, because TrackIR's exponential rotation is totally unlike what you experience in real life. Is that why he didn't wear it in the flying segments?

Also, Yo-Yo, I noticed in the credits that both you and Mr. Kuznetsov did the music for this video. Can you tell me which parts you composed and/or played? Was it the song at the end of the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
the interviewer asked, if he pressed the brakes, full throttle and then released - he said no. A few moments later he told a story with the landing and take off at the village where he needed the brakes for the full throttle start
It was seventy years ago; memory works a little oddly at that point. My own brain contains decades-old memories of my childhood, that I normally do not remember, but the right cues can recall these.

Last edited by Echo38; 06-30-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Echo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #16
FSKRipper

Quote:

At first - what a GREAT Clip. I absolute love some random facts, for example in the beginning where he said that they never do preflight checks or idle till the engine was warming up - they just hop in, started the D9 up and full throttle
I love facts like these and ususalyl olderys tend to explain stuff with these facts. Also the one where he landed at the village. Great, just great!!

Whats funyn tho, the interviewer asked, if he pressed the brakes, full throttle and then released - he said no. A few moments later he told a story with the landing and take off at the village where he needed the brakes for the full throttle start
You forgot that this landing and takeoff never happened, officially
Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
JST

Excellent!

Some good things he mentioned, very relevant to DCS:
- Always 3-point landing, whether 190 or 109
- Try to keep your landing approach at 200km/h or above
- You very rarely need to apply brakes on takeoff, rudder is enough

The 0.9-1.2 ata comment was interesting. Is it way too low for DCS simply because everyone is full throttle 99% of the time anyway?

Are we going to see more neutral tracers in the future?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #18
fastfreddie

Quote:

Old age and probably the fact that they never really needed to do stuff like that unless ... your landing in your wingmans backyard.

Reminded me of the story a P-51 ace told in an interview about missing Operation Bodenplatte. He went for a joyride with his wingman through the mountains and when he returned everyone asked how many he shot down. He missed everything and never told anyone till many years later.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #19
TwoLate

What a treat to hear from one of the last few fighter pilots left. I loved his humor. Interesting insights from his experience.
TwoLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #20
Charly_Owl

Loved every second of that interview. Nice job!
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote