How to Land the Dora - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
Gascan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmtb View Post
Yes it is, or at least was set to 100% on my install. P-51 was still turned off but Dora was set at 100%.
I noticed that finally, and put it at zero. Managed to get airborne twice, won't win any praise from the Staffel Kapitan, or the tower. Or the safety offizer, but I got it up (no pun intended)
Gascan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #22
Altflieger

I never thought to look to see if it was the default, what cretin put it as default? Got to be easier when only one of us is flying at a time! And brakes had to axis reversed as they were on all the time and the thing wouldn't move!
Altflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #23
fastfreddie

I never realized I had takeoff assist on with the Mustang till a couple of weeks ago when I got on the DoW server. I'd never had used it if I'd known it was on and I have a harder time taking off the Mustang than the Dora. I've pretty much got the Dora perfected and can get the Mustang in the air now.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
txmtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
But ... but what if the slider "takeoff assistance" is in fact reversed? Or labled wrongly? What if "100%" means in reality "no assistance" and "0%" means "full assistance"? :o)
Well, turning off the assist made a world of difference, I have no idea why.
I know my skills didn't suddenly become Jedi-like.
Went 4 for 5 after turning it off, the 1 bad was the first attempt as the plane didn't act like I was expecting from before.
Makes me wonder about what Flagrum said.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z87 I5-4670K @4.5 Water Cooled, 16Gb Corsair Dominator, 2X EVGA 970 SSC SLI, 512Gb SSD's, 2 TB HD Raid, , TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip
txmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #25
Foul Ole Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmtb View Post
Well, turning off the assist made a world of difference, I have no idea why.
Probably you were fighting against what the computer was trying to assist you with and it was making a mess of things overall? With it off all the inputs are from you alone so you're in full control.
Foul Ole Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #26
txmtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul Ole Ron View Post
Probably you were fighting against what the computer was trying to assist you with and it was making a mess of things overall? With it off all the inputs are from you alone so you're in full control.
Very possible, but I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do when on.
One would think it has nothing to do if you are taking off correctly.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z87 I5-4670K @4.5 Water Cooled, 16Gb Corsair Dominator, 2X EVGA 970 SSC SLI, 512Gb SSD's, 2 TB HD Raid, , TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip
txmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #27
Buzzles

While I haven't got the Dora (yet), on the subject of take off assistance, I had a horrible time learning the P51 up until I turned it (and auto rudder) off.

It's very difficult to improve if all the small mistakes are being masked by the assistance and all you're presented with is the big crashes/slides/groundloops when the situation goes belly up.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #28
jcomm

Well, in my case and altough I had long disabled it in the p51d, and since then it became "piece-of-cake" to control, I have to confess that I did another gross mistake :-(

As a matter of fact, since I installed the Fw190 D9, I've been a bit disappointed :-/ It didn't feel right, as a matter of fact, it behaved in a very strange and awkward way. I wasn't believing this could really be happening with the aircraft I had so long expected to be released, and I didn't want to post any negative comments here at the forum before I could investigate exactly why it was so far from my expectations... Well - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

I didn't delete the axis assignements from a Cyborg X I use the base only for additional buttons and sliders, so, my pitch, roll and yaw axis were receiving erratic inputs, all of the time, from that controller!!!!

Well, now that I have finally correctly configured every axis, all I can say is that this aircraft is trully SUPERB!!!!!

I have completed various circuits with x-wind up to 8m/s ( aprox 16 knot ), without any concern, taking off and landing smooth as silk!

I also completed a successful dogfight against an AI p51d :-)

Last edited by jcomm; 08-08-2014 at 10:19 PM.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #29
mangaroca

Call me thick but after full three days of training and countless Doras lost I can finally say I learnt how to take off.

This is my first ever tail-dragger simulation and I must admit that I will never say a bad word about modern jet plane flight assist systems again. Those things do marvels for us!
The amount of micro rudder and aileron input required to get in the air safely and nicely in the Dora is (from my perspective) unbelievable. The already huge respect I had for the WWII pilots (not only German), having only one life and able to make only one fatal mistake trying to tame their aircraft has just doubled.

Here are the things that helped me to ask Dora out and take her for a ride:

1. Absolutely most crucial thing and my most common error was centring the stick too soon. When the tail wheel unlocks your already applied rudder input yaws the plane to the right and you start skidding (and skidding at these speeds is drift extravaganza!). Those that haven't figured it out yet or read it elsewhere: do not centre the stick until you reach ~150km/h. At this speed you can centre it literary in a second and nothing bad should happen. Your tail will get airborne which will only add to your yaw ability and even less rudder will be required to keep you on the runway.

2. Second most important thing is not to do the opposite and hold the stick back for too long. If the elevator is nailing your tail to the ground but the speed creates enough lift under the main wings the first thing that will happen to you after you lift off will be a stall.

3. Be prepared to counter the prop gyro effect and apply a slight roll to the right the moment your wheels leave the ground.

I am no expert at this but following these rules allowed me to perform 10+ consecutive successful take offs. It's a nice change to look at the crash craters from my earlier attempts from above.

Two more things you might find helpful but not related to how you control the aircraft during take off:

1. Enable the Take-Off Assistance for the Dora and observe what kind of movement and to what extend the "AI rudder" is performing during you normal take off. It will help you realize what type of movement you need to reproduce to get in the air with no assistance.

2. Watch your Artificial Horizon the moment you apply thrust and try to neutralize the Turn indicator's movement with the rudder as you gain speed. The thing we don't feel flying our virtual aircraft on PCs is the g-forces the pilot would sense with his whole body. He could counter any initial side to side motion because he would feel it. We need a visual representation of that to act.

Sorry for a long post but I'm really happy I finally got it right and I hope my experience will help others. Dora truly is a Lady and it takes some time and practice to find a way to satisfy her...

Happy flying!

Last edited by mangaroca; 08-09-2014 at 12:17 AM.
mangaroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #30
jcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I posted a thread about this issue a few days ago. All I can say is that the initial poster is correct. This plane sucks to take off in. The tail wheel does not lock no matter what you do. It pulls to one side or the other and all you can do is use the brakes to even it out. Honestly, I think the DCS needs to fix this issue as it pops up every day with another group of fliers.
Because of this issue.....I don't really care for this module and have shelved it. I spent better than 6-8 hours trying to get it to work the way the instructions say that it should. Even though I can get it up now....it still is just a 50 / 50 proposition. I crash 50% of the time. Just no fun at all.
I went back to the P-51.....................................

The DCS Dora is modeled EXACTLY like the real thing, and all but the "seat-of-the-pants" sensation you do not get when flying it, is plausibly reproduced (superbly IMO...), including the tailwheel locking mechanism.

I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever landing or taking off in it, even with 8m/s x-wind components ( meaning 8 m/s = 16 knot, at 90º port or starboard !!! )

PLEASE MAKE SURE:

1) You DISABLE TAKEOFF ASSIST in the General game Options ( Special Tab, and the Fw190 sub-tab )

2) You DO NOT FULLY DEFLECT BACK the manche, just a bit behind it's center position and ease on it as soon as you get to around 150 km/h. From there on you have to use your rudders. And YES DIFFERENTIAL BRAKING may well be required during the initial takeoff run, just like described in many texts from RW Dora pilots!

3) Final Approach at 220 Km/h, then flare, flare, flare.... and touch 3 point!!! From there on, manche back, just like you do for takeoff.

The DCS Dora needs training, just like the p51d ! Remember how you had to fight during your first takeoff and landing experiences in the Pony ?

This is simply another Masterpiece by ED, and thanks to a the work of one of their "magiciians" :-) - Yo-Yo!!!!

When I was young, before getting my degree in Math, I was really convinced that a mathematician could pick any practical problem and turn it into the beautiful language of mathematics / logic, and model and solve it. Life has made me think differently, but Yo-Yo surely brought back that belief ;-)

Last edited by jcomm; 08-09-2014 at 06:57 AM.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote