What to Expect in the Next Hornet Open Beta Update (11/21?)

Fropa

probably just bug fixes...also for ir mav we will have to wait for the flir system rework.

I think that for the harm they will be relatively fast and that we will have to wait more for the tgp ir mavs and then ag radar

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

probably just bug fixes...also for ir mav we will have to wait for the flir system rework.

I think that for the harm they will be relatively fast and that we will have to wait more for the tgp ir mavs and then ag radar

We don't have to wait for the FLIR system. They're actively working on IR mavs and will be released soon. They already work for the most part.

Chances look decent that we could see the Maverick F and G released on the 21st. Probably will get more bug fixes as well. I sorely doubt we see any sign of the HARM until December at the earliest.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

We don't have to wait for the FLIR system. They're actively working on IR mavs and will be released soon. They already work for the most part.

i saw...but apparently it is still the old rendering system

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hmm been using the MAVG the last week and love them, FLIR looks ok to me, though limited in the FOV range to see what is what that's where a TGP would help with slaving the Mav seeker head... having a hard time locking up some moving vehicles at far range the same difficulty in the HArrier and A10 as well. the last hot fix cured the problem when firing the last IRmav you'd get a weird FLIR picture stuck on your DDI also the MAV Locked on the HUD would stay, after reloading more MAVG's couldn't use them due to the FLIR was stuck on that one scene... but now they work just fine , I do the CAS mission and land back on carrier , reload , and go back for more fun !

I would love to see some updates to the waypoint system. Now that we have a good CAS weapon we really need the means to put in JTAC coordinates. Waypoint offsets or MGRS would be huge

That said I think wags has said they’re now focused on weapons, so may have to wait. But we also got FPAS...

With only 4 people working on the Hornet, I don’t know if there are enough resources to be able to focus on both new and existing features. I want new things added to the Hornet as quick as possible, but not at the expense of having to endure partial functionality and bugs of existing features.

Wags nor ED have stated that there are only four people working on the Hornet. Wags only made mention of four people that were working on the systems planned to be released "next."

Please stop spreading false information.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

With only 4 people working on the Hornet, I don’t know if there are enough resources to be able to focus on both new and existing features. I want new things added to the Hornet as quick as possible, but not at the expense of having to endure partial functionality and bugs of existing features.

It might still happen:

-Coders usually don't specialize in bug fixing. Everybody basically gets to fix their own bugs.

-They may have started developing the next feature/milestone before the bug was reported.

Funny I also understood the Hornet has only 4 coders (of course there could be other people as well, eg... testing team). DCS teaches us to read messages very carefully :D

The majority of the community would be very pleased to just get bugfixes to what was recently released. We've been getting features at a pace that was a bit surprising to be honest. (And "only" 4 coders is a LOT in DCS.)

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Wags nor ED have stated that there are only four people working on the Hornet. Wags only made mention of four people that were working on the systems planned to be released "next."

Regarding the "only 4" comments... 4 developers is a lot for a small software company like ED. They aren't selling 4 million copies a day like AAA titles... hence the development time. I still think they should not be calling the F-18C a beta... it's not feature complete, so it should be alled an alpha, but that might affect their ability to put it on Steam... and if they're like any other small company, cash flow is tricky to manage.

Well said.

after reading some of the answers from the OP i can only assume this is a thread purely designed as a Trollthread to trigger people who are unsatisfied with the current level of Bugs/Fixes ratio in the FA18.

And as such it should be closed

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Formatting changed by me...

"They're actively working on IR mavs and will be released soon."

Ehm... Has an official ED person said they'll be released soon? Are you pulling this info from your posterior? Do you know someone? Have you hacked ED's systems or placed spy equipment in their offices?

Or... Are you just talking out of your posterior?

If so... Stop. This isn't COD and we aren't COD players. We deal in facts here. Or we try :). Please make an effort to try with us :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm expecting LTWS and HARM

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

after reading some of the answers from the OP i can only assume this is a thread purely designed as a Trollthread to trigger people who are unsatisfied with the current level of Bugs/Fixes ratio in the FA18.

And as such it should be closed

You are wrong. It's as simple as that.

So far I am loving the Hornet. But please be realistic and manage expectations :)

This is what is left to add:

Sensors:

A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL

A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA

AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod

Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS) *partially implemented

Link-16

AWW-13 Datalink Pod

Weapons:

AGM-88C HARM

AGM-45A/B Shrike

AGM-84D Block 1C Harpoon

AGM-84E SLAM

AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER

AGM-65F/G Maverick

AGM-154A JSOW

AGM-154C JSOW

Walleye I ER/DL

Walleye II ER/DL

GBU-10 Paveway II

GBU-12 Paveway II

GBU-16 Paveway II

GBU-24B/B Paveway III

GBU-38 JDAM

GBU-31 JDAM

GBU-32 JDAM

Mk-40 Destructor Sea Mine

Mk-63 Quickstrike Sea Mine

Mk-77 Fire Bomb

Decoys:

ADM-141 TALD

GEN-X

So far these are the big features/sytem updates that has been released since beginning of Early Access (17 updates and 5 hotfixes):

Added very basic IFF

Night vision goggles added

Carrier ICLS system realized

Added Aim-120B and Aim-120C

Added AIM-9X Air-to-Air missile

Added FLOOD mode for AIM-7

Added Mk-82Y (high drag with ballute) added to the Hornet inventory

Introduced JHMCS.

Introduced FPAS.

Introduced AGM-65E with laser guidance

I might have missed something, since Im leaving out smaller tweaks, fixes and additional system implementations.

So about 10 new features in about 6 months with 27 to go, not counting additional tweaking and fixes. So that is at least 18 months from a feature complete Hornet judging by prior updates, probably much longer as some of the systems are very complex. Like A/G radar functionality, TWS modes, ATFLIR, Link-16, totally new decoy tech etc. 36 months might be a bit more realistic, so that gives us to around 2021 until all bells and whistles are in.

No. I am not slamming ED. It is a very complex product that has to be done right and my estimations might be off :book: My point is that we will be in this EA for a very long time.

Manage expectations and all will be good. It will be a great and very rich module in the end.

This informative, constructive post is exactly the reason why I started this thread. Thank you, @Schmidtfire!

So far I am loving the Hornet. But please be realistic and manage expectations :)

This is what is left to add:

Sensors:

A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL

A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA

AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod

Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS) *partially implemented

Link-16

AWW-13 Datalink Pod

Weapons:

AGM-88C HARM

AGM-45A/B Shrike

AGM-84D Block 1C Harpoon

AGM-84E SLAM

AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER

AGM-65F/G Maverick

AGM-154A JSOW

AGM-154C JSOW

Walleye I ER/DL

Walleye II ER/DL

GBU-10 Paveway II

GBU-12 Paveway II

GBU-16 Paveway II

GBU-24B/B Paveway III

GBU-38 JDAM

GBU-31 JDAM

GBU-32 JDAM

Mk-40 Destructor Sea Mine

Mk-63 Quickstrike Sea Mine

Mk-77 Fire Bomb

Decoys:

ADM-141 TALD

GEN-X

So far these are the big features/sytem updates that has been released since beginning of Early Access (17 updates and 5 hotfixes):

Added very basic IFF

Night vision goggles added

Carrier ICLS system realized

Added Aim-120B and Aim-120C

Added AIM-9X Air-to-Air missile

Added FLOOD mode for AIM-7

Added Mk-82Y (high drag with ballute) added to the Hornet inventory

Introduced JHMCS.

Introduced FPAS.

Introduced AGM-65E with laser guidance

I might have missed something, since Im leaving out smaller tweaks, fixes and additional system implementations.

So about 10 new features in about 6 months with 27 to go, not counting additional tweaking and fixes. So that is at least 18 months from a feature complete Hornet judging by prior updates, probably much longer as some of the systems are very complex. Like A/G radar functionality, TWS modes, ATFLIR, Link-16, totally new decoy tech etc. 36 months might be a bit more realistic, so that gives us to around 2021 until all bells and whistles are in.

No. I am not slamming ED. It is a very complex product that has to be done right and my estimations might be off :book: My point is that we will be in this EA for a very long time.

Manage expectations and all will be good. It will be a great and very rich module in the end.

That was a great post by Schmidtfire and really puts everything in perspective. When I pre-purchased the Hornet, I was guessing maybe two years since original release for a complete Hornet but with only 4 people working on it and the current pace, I have to agree that the unfortunate reality may be closer to three years. Maybe if the Hornet is selling really well, they can hire more staff and increase production.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

That was a great post by Schmidtfire and really puts everything in perspective. When I pre-purchased the Hornet, I was guessing maybe two years since original release for a complete Hornet but with only 4 people working on it and the current pace, I have to agree that the unfortunate reality may be closer to three years. Maybe if the Hornet is selling really well, they can hire more staff and increase production.

I honestly don't mind the length of time it may take to fully complete the Hornet. Small company or not, I'm really glad ED is going all out to make the F-18C the most accurately simulated aircraft ever made to date. :)