Road bases setup

Topgun505

I found an earlier thread on how to set up a road side fuel base for the Viggen. I have a training mission which is under development and I set up a road base to test this out. I set it up exactly like the test missiong that was included in the thread but I cannot contact the crew to rearm, or refuel ... and I'm almost right on top of them so I must be close enough. Does anyone know if this functionality is currently bugged?

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

There is a recent bug, that will be fixed soon:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3560924&postcount=71

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This whole road base system should really be supported and enhanced by Eagle Dynamics themselves so that it works fine even in an online environment and not limited to the Viggen. Fingers crossed it will be taken care of in the near future. Not only the Viggen but the AV8B as well as helicopters would greatly benefit from it.

This whole road base system should really be supported and enhanced by Eagle Dynamics themselves so that it works fine even in an online environment and not limited to the Viggen. Fingers crossed it will be taken care of in the near future. Not only the Viggen but the AV8B as well as helicopters would greatly benefit from it.

I don't think that will happen. The road base concept is pretty unique to the Viggen. Helicopters and the Harrier can operate from FARPs instead.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not that unique. Finnish Hornets also operate out of road bases as well as Czech and Hungarian Mig 21 aircraft used to, too, just to name another. Also, ED already refused to enable Heatblur's implementation of such road based systems in the online environment and added that such a functionality should be developed by themselves and not limited to the Viggen. So I guess it may actually happen at some point, even if it is not such a high priority item right now. Might be a good idea to go and lobby for it to come.

Edited by Spathiphyllum

I don't think that will happen. The road base concept is pretty unique to the Viggen. Helicopters and the Harrier can operate from FARPs instead.
It is pretty unrealistic to be limited to semi-permanent FARPs in my opinion. To be able to have full functionality with only the correct vehicles present without the pads would be much more in-line with reality, for all helicopters and the Viggen anyhow.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are after. :)

But this thread shows how to set it up, and there is no need to get your wheel upp to something.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3105599&postcount=1

Just be close enough to the the group. Don't have to be super close.

I have just tested it a little bit but it seems to work pretty good.

But maybe I'm missunderstanding you and you are trying to achieve something else? :)

Best regards,

M

Road runways are or have been fairly common around the world. What made the swedish system unique is the dispersal doctrine itself. The Bas 90 system called for dispersal both between and within bases, meaning that one wartime base would only house one or half a squadron of aircraft (1 squadron = 8 aircraft, plus some reserves) and that ground operations on a base would be spread out over a large area in and around the base. The aircraft groundcrew on a base were fully mobile, operating out of trucks and trailers, instead of being stationed at permanent flightlines and revetments.

• 3 months later...

Got the road base set up to the point where they are coming up on the kneeboard, I can change the listed loadout on the kneeboard, and can change the listed fuel load there as well, and then confirm and on the kneeboard it says refueling and rearming and gives a % progress and gets to 100 and says rearming and refueling complete. It looks like it may actually give the fuel, but it doesn't actually rearm (even though there is an ammo M818 truck in the group). Does something else need to happen for them to actually rearm or is it broken?

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

Would be great if ED could create a tiered system of bases:

Permanent airbases (only configurable for faction or level of upgrades/supplies and militarization)

Configurable airbases (only there if the mission creator included them, but provided by ED, upgradeable)

Road bases (for a limited set of aircraft)

FARPs (always coming from the mission and probably with few upgrade/configuration options)

This would work around the large distances between bases on some Middle-East maps and also provide for richer operational and strategic mechanics with base upgrades, along the lines of Pacific War (yes, that ancient title from Gary Grigsby).

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Still didn't work. Here is what I have set.

A group of 3 units. The ground is called: Road Base

The units in the group are:

1st unit is an APC M1025 HMMWV named GroundCrew

2nd unit is a Tanker M978 HEMTT named Road Base Tanker

3rd unit is a Transport M818 named Road Base Ammo

I can land and taxi up to them, pull up the kneeboard and see the Ground Crew page, I can cycle the weapons loadouts on the page, and the Fuel loadouts, and I can execute. I see a progress % climb on the kneeboard and when it says 100 it says Rearm Refuel complete. But nothing happened.

Topgun505

In my mission I have "GroundCrew #1" instead of just "GroundCrew". I'm not sure if the system is that picky though. Here are some missions that you can use if you want:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222539

Missions M09 - M11 from "Navigation and Landing" are appropriate.

In a vid by Badjoe (

) he mentioned that re-arming only works if you have RB-24J's on the outer pylon. It doesn't hurt to follow that advice.

Nope still doesn't work with that naming convention and the RB-24s

Topgun505

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing directly in MP.

I also added an additional unarmed truck (the newer NATO transport) to go along with the M818. Figured maybe it didn't like the 818 and the ammo might work with that other transport acting as the ammo truck. Still no go. Can confirm that the fuel DOES work (although it will not add a drop tank). But weapons are still a no-go.

Topgun505