Exhaust smoke drift wrong

P3CFE

The smoke trail in this picture is effected bij the wind it seams...it should not.

The smoke trail should be in line with the longitudinal axis of the plane no matter what wind direction.

The relative airflow direction along the aircraft is also in line with the longitudinal axis if there is no sideslip or skid (slip ball centered).

So the smoke should flow with that relative flow direction.

The screen shot is with Bank angle Zero and Slipball Centered, I made really shure of that.

It was also an stabilized flight for at least 10 seconds.

Hope this is not to hard to correct, but I can imagine it is !!

Makes me wonder if this wrongly calculated effect is also causing weapon ballistics to deviate from the real world situation.

PS:

Contrails seem to be okay.

The only thing wrong with Contrail is the fact that it remains after Engine shutdown, this would also be nice if it could be corrected.

Thanks,

1879604703_Smoketrailduetowindwrong.thumb.png.db9d7917d177172ce4d76dfc97930b73.png

Edited by P3CFE
Result from checking out contrail

• 6 months later...

Because the nose of the aircraft is pointed into the wind when not side slipping.

Why would the smoke go into an other direction then the airflow is flowing along the longitudinal axis of the aircraft.

It is flowing from nose to tail in a straight line.

The aircraft is feeling the airflow straight on the nose....smoke is going with the airflow, so why would it change direction ??

Only when an aircraft is sideslipping (slip ball not centered). smoke comes out in a diferend direction.

If you look at the smoke in the screenshot it looks like an aircraft in a left side slip, but in reality it is flying without sideslip and level so the smoke should leave the exhaust in a straight line with the airflow.

Please reply...

Edited by P3CFE

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a wind effect it seems a little early. I agree it should trail the longitudal axis for a length but the be affected by the predominant wind drift thereafter. Like contrails.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Thanks for thinking with me.

Thats what i mean., the smoke should not leave in an angle, once it leaves the engine. (if not side slipping or skidding).

The aircraft is drifting in the same direction as the wind so to speak.

Smoke and contrails will drift with the wind as viewed from the ground (stationary), but not in relation to the aircraft that is producing it.

Greetz.

Air is the medium both travel in. They should remain aligned with the medium, the smoke is being aligned instead to a fixed point in space, rather than a point in the moving medium.

Nate

Agree :thumbup:

And for now it is just the smoke that is visually behaving wrong, but makes you wonder if (with wind) this programming also is dragging weapons into the wrong direction after release. !!

How can we get to know this ??

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a problem that exists (and has been reported many, many times) since Lock On.

• Lock-On, FC, DCS in all versions up to 1.5:
    All smoke and contrails presented the problem

• DCS 1.5 and on:
    Smoke presents this problem, coloured smoke / contrails are correct.

Hopefully they'll fix the engine smoke too.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• 2 years later...

How to get a reply from the Devs DCS on wind issues?

Is there an efficient way to get an answer, or any other reaction from the devs od DCS, about the problem of wind and smoke behaviour.

For a flightsimulator it seems to me, that reaction and effects from airflow and wind are very important to be correct.

It should be the first thing to be corrected if it is faulty, yet there is no reply of any kind about this.

Show me the way please :( !!