Let's talk the P-51 in combat in DCS - Page 13 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #121
rtyfgv
Junior Member
 
rtyfgv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
But when i tested WEP i tried to make 5 minutes bursts of wep and after single use my engine was damaged, creating a seizure soon. It doesnt matter if you set cruise power or if you land on air field and turn off the engine, you will hear lound bang(this actualy happen to me landed,turn of engine,after couple minutes bang engine dead no longer able to make it spin)
I have read about it on this forum,but i could not belive it what those ppl were writing, Now i experienced it by my self
That is what I was referring to cook the engine ... the seize problem seems to happen to previous mismanagement of the engine ... and it seems to be random.

I can use WEP for 20 minutes on the P51 to fly away from any German plane; no failure. A well trimmed P51 can catch any german plane at sea level. And I'm not the only one who says this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...0&postcount=17
__________________
And never forget, a pilot greatest virtue is to know when to run.
What's this, a joke? Run away from a fight?
Yes! If you cannot win, you fly away! Fast!
It's a thin line between cowardice and cleverness.

Last edited by rtyfgv; 09-08-2019 at 01:43 AM.
rtyfgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #122
Hiromachi
Member
 
Hiromachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 593
Default

This is only under the condition that radiator is operated manually and closed completely or almost completely. Thing is I'd not do that in a combat situation when speeds and altitude are being traded constantly and furthermore that is not recommended by any manual that I know of. It was automatic for a reason.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 2700X @ 4.4 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 16 GB DDR4 3500 Mhz Cl14 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / AOC AG352UCG / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #123
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,057
Default

I fly alwayes on automatic, but there is 2 situation where i open coolant doors fully
1st. take off
2nd when i am going to vertical climb with intention of loosing almost all speed, coolant flap opening rate is way too slow to keep up with loosing speed in that situation.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #124
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtyfgv View Post
That is what I was referring to cook the engine ... the seize problem seems to happen to previous mismanagement of the engine ... and it seems to be random.

I can use WEP for 20 minutes on the P51 to fly away from any German plane; no failure. A well trimmed P51 can catch any german plane at sea level. And I'm not the only one who says this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...0&postcount=17
ED is making tweaks from time to time, i tested p-51 a couple patches ago,maby something changed.
Fw190 D9 suffered from random fails after using mw50, now looks like this is fixed.
When you cook p-51's engine, effects of this are quite difrent from those of use of WEP.
Take a note that if you fly high, even if you break wire stop on throttle it will not guarantee 67', i tested it too if you back up throttle to 65' damage no longer appeare and you can fly for much longer, looks like 67' is or was magical about this engine damage

Last edited by grafspee; 09-08-2019 at 07:13 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 AM   #125
Snapage
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 116
Default

The P51D is no longer the fastest on deck. It used to be while running 67" at 2700 RPM with radiators manually closed. But ED has taken that away now by making engine fail after just 3 minutes of 2700 RPM.

The FW190D9 with the MW50 being fixed recently is the fastest aircraft on the deck.

The P51D with WEP is still slower and using WEP for any length of time causes the engine to fail at a random time. The engine will even fail after landing with the engine off. WEP seems to start a random timer that breaks the engine.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #126
DD_Fenrir
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 734
Default

Why on earth would you run that MAP setting at 2700? You're significantly over-boosting the engine, causing detonation and damaging the engine - this is what is causing your engine failures.

The placard distinctly says 67" @ 3000 RPM. Even at 61" the recommendation is 3000 RPM.

The Spit is the same. Anything above 12lb (55") requires max RPM.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #127
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
The P51D is no longer the fastest on deck. It used to be while running 67" at 2700 RPM with radiators manually closed. But ED has taken that away now by making engine fail after just 3 minutes of 2700 RPM.

The FW190D9 with the MW50 being fixed recently is the fastest aircraft on the deck.

The P51D with WEP is still slower and using WEP for any length of time causes the engine to fail at a random time. The engine will even fail after landing with the engine off. WEP seems to start a random timer that breaks the engine.
I absolutely agree with ED running 61" at 2700 is dangerous for engine not mention 67"
There is a reason why manual mention numerous times about 3000rpm when wep happen

Last edited by grafspee; 09-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #128
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Why on earth would you run that MAP setting at 2700? You're significantly over-boosting the engine, causing detonation and damaging the engine - this is what is causing your engine failures.

The placard distinctly says 67" @ 3000 RPM. Even at 61" the recommendation is 3000 RPM.

The Spit is the same. Anything above 12lb (55") requires max RPM.
Take note that british were limiting their engines difrently
For exmaple spitfire using 150 octane was cleared for 25lbs=80" and almost same engine in P51 was limited to 75" even british version of p-51 was cleared for 80".
So both engines could run 80" just fine, It was just policy about demanded engine life time.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-12-2019 at 09:38 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #129
Snapage
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 116
Default

you all missed my point, my point is that the FW190D9 is the fastest on the deck now because you cant run the P51D at 67" with 2700RPM any more.

I would like to mention that it is frustrating when ED is quick to make changes that negatively affect the P51Ds performance while leaving the WEP in its current broken state.

So we just end up with a broken underperforming P51D.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:28 AM   #130
msalama
Veteran
 
msalama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,003
Default

What Fenrir was saying is that you're overboosting the engine for the RPM used.
__________________
Huey probs & gripes? Do read the following please: https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1555258147
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.