Valve Index Hands On

aileron

How does the NVG form the F-18 look in the Index

Looks pretty good. Instead of the tunnel vision you get with the 2D monitor the whole screen is in effect. Flying in the dark in Downtown Dubai, then turning on NVG is quite a sight to behold. I use gamma 1.8 which is about right compared to my LCD monitor setup.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[im]https://i.ibb.co/K7NSdQP/DCS-VR-Test.png[/img]

Currently, I use Steam custom res 116%

60FPS in the air, 40 in Downtown Dubai and on the ground at airports.

These settings are still evolving, I could squeeze out better FPS at lower SteamSS or disable the shadow or lower water detail--but it took a lot out of the good experiences which would make me rather fly on my 4k OLED TV (I still prefer the 4k OLED route since when I sit next to the TV the detail level is crazy good without sacrificing FPS and the screen still fills up my peripheral vision, but I still enjoy flying in VR).

I usually only play in the dark at night when my wife is asleep, another good point of Index tracking I neglected to mention.

Are you using Medium visibility range because extreme kills your FPS? Do you play multiplayer? I've always kept mine on the highest setting and sacrificed other things (like shadow / water detail) because I dont want to miss anything that someone else can see.

DCS-VR-Test.png

These settings are still evolving, I could squeeze out better FPS at lower SteamSS or disable the shadow or lower water detail--but it took a lot out of the good experiences which would make me rather fly on my 4k OLED TV (I still prefer the 4k OLED route since when I sit next to the TV the detail level is crazy good without sacrificing FPS and the screen still fills up my peripheral vision, but I still enjoy flying in VR).

I usually only play in the dark at night when my wife is asleep, another good point of Index tracking I neglected to mention.

Ok so your struggling with the same thing I am, what and how much to sacrifice for that 2x MSAA. It’s that drop either in cities or online that bugs me.

I might try dropping my view distance and shadows, flat only though... I am surprised you supersample only in steam? Pd= 1 in DCS?

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Ok so your struggling with the same thing I am, what and how much to sacrifice for that 2x MSAA. It’s that drop either in cities or online that bugs me.

I might try dropping my view distance and shadows, flat only though... I am surprised you supersample only in steam? Pd= 1 in DCS?

Why do both? They do the same thing which is increasing your final rendering resolution.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

man I had a bunch of testing with screenshots then went to post and realized fpsVR overlay doesn't show up. Bummer.

As to PD, it should be better to do it in steam but VR is finicky, for DCS personally it seems PD of 1.3 in Index is enough to give razor sharp MFD text. Its probably better to do it in Steam, as then you can have a per app multiplier, but I am not convinced they occur at the same spot in the render pipeline, or that individual games can't optimize their supersampling better than steam's global setting, as there definitely appears to be a difference

I will keep tinkering, if you haven't already, advanced settings and fpsVR help. I can't run view distance as low as you do, over dubai at 10k feet and the only building visible is the Burj? Given the loss of my data and desire to actually fly I'm going to play for now and tinker later. I'd be interested if you find a sweet spot however

Edited by sk000tch

Ok, I've been playing DCS on my Index everyday since it came out ...

Very encouraging. I'm still checking my email more times a day than I care to remember - can't be long now. I know the image will be at least as good as my Rift S was, and that's good enough - it's just a question of how high I'll be able to push the refresh rate. The only way I'll know that is when I have one on my head - but I'm going to do a complete clean install of Windows and DCS World prior to installing the Index to be sure it doesn't get messed up by anything lingering, which shouldn't be. Getting some new hardware anyway, plus new and larger SSDs, with the cost having plummeted of late.

I'll set up the CV1 on my old PC as a back-up, so I don't have the two VR systems interfering with each other.

Can't be long now.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

DCS-VR-Test.png

40fps is unplayable in VR. How come I get over 100fps in 4k at high settings for everything?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

40fps is unplayable in VR.

I love it when people say that kind of thing! 40-45fps is fine in VR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Screen-190714-115515.png

I wouldn't call this a bad frame rate for VR, because at my current settings the rendered resolution is higher than 4K (4336x2412 vs 3840 x 2160)--plus extra calculations the CPU has to do to correct geometric wrapping/distortion, SteamVR overhead, etc. There is no magic here just simple physics and it's not beyond expectation.

If it's unplayable then what the heck have I been doing playing this thing everyday? There are people who play DCS with FPS in the 30s on 2D screens or on laptops, btw. And they get by. Not everybody has souped up PCs.

On the other hand, I'd like to see how you could get 100+ FPS in 4K with everything on high in congested areas such as airports or ground level especially in Dubai/Khasab, because my rig couldn't get there.

Edited by Supmua

I love it when people say that kind of thing! 40-45fps is fine in VR.

What I find hilarious is that the guy keeps saying how rubbish VR is, yet he hangs out in the VR section so much. :megalol:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Can anyone with an Index on hand please confirm for me if the power adapters support 220V? Thanks!

Anybody? Pretty please! I've got one more day before my reservation expires. To be clear, I'm not asking for anyone to run any tests, just look at the power adapters and tell me what the voltage rating says in the fine print.

Edited by bainsy

I wouldn't call this a bad frame rate for VR, because at my current settings the rendered resolution is higher than 4K (4336x2412 vs 3840 x 2160)--plus extra calculations the CPU has to do to correct geometric wrapping/distortion, SteamVR overhead, etc. There is no magic here just simple physics and it's not beyond expectation.

If it's unplayable then what the heck have I been doing playing this thing everyday? There are people who play DCS with FPS in the 30s on 2D screens or on laptops, btw. And they get by. Not everybody has souped up PCs.

On the other hand, I'd like to see how you could get 100+ FPS in 4K with everything on high in congested areas such as airports or ground level especially in Dubai/Khasab, because my rig couldn't get there.

Ya index is doing something funny with the frame rate. I'm assuming that other dude doesn't have one, as I would agree that 40 fps is unplayable in a rift, for example. I have motion smoothing off, and I'm either at 60fps or, if I get in a demanding graphics environment, it drops to 40. Not 47, then 53... its 60, or 40. Fortunately its not very often that I do 700 knots down main st. of dubai, but even then 40fps is very smooth. I'd rather it was 60, but not wiling to turn down settings that much

If you use the fpsVR overlay you can see CPU and GFU frame timing. Given your specs are identical to mine, I can assure you that you aren't CPU limited. Rarely with will CPU draw get over 10-12ms, even with driver and openVR overhead.

Ignore him, I suspect he's just bored and trolling, quite successfully unfortunately.

Intel Core i9-10850K

ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming motherboard

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master

32 GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000MHz DDR4

Thrustmaster Warthog/ HP Reverb G2

Anybody? Pretty please! I've got one more day before my reservation expires. To be clear, I'm not asking for anyone to run any tests, just look at the power adapters and tell me what the voltage rating says in the fine print.

This is from the Headset Power adapter.

d8kY1ci.jpg

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

:cry: After two years of playing VR you tell me my game is unplayable? What have I been playing all this time?

If you get 40fps only, you've been playing a slide show. And a low resolution one at that.

The question remains, why am I able to run over 100fps in 4k, but 40fps in VR?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the simplest thing is for us all to ignore the guy’s trolling comments. Not quite sure why he’s still insisting on posting this stuff after all this time.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I think the simplest thing is for us all to ignore the guy’s trolling comments. Not quite sure why he’s still insisting on posting this stuff after all this time.

I'm writing to everyone who isn't part of the DCS VR cult. The VR experience in DCS is embarrassingly bad. 40fps if acceptabe on a super high end computer? That's insanity, when all my other VR apps run 120-144hz, and I can run DCS at 4k on high settings, with crystal clear everything, at over 100fps.

To anyone considering VR at this point, don't make the same mistake I did! It's not then close to being a viable alternative.

Difficulty spotting, low FPS, difficulty reading cockpit gauges without leaning in or zooming, low combat effectiveness, motion sickness... There's just no reason to jump into DCS VR at this point except for a short lived novelty.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm writing to everyone who isn't part of the DCS VR cult. The VR experience in DCS is embarrassingly bad. 40fps if acceptabe on a super high end computer? That's insanity, when all my other VR apps run 120-144hz, and I can run DCS at 4k on high settings, with crystal clear everything, at over 100fps.

To anyone considering VR at this point, don't make the same mistake I did! It's not then close to being a viable alternative.

Difficulty spotting, low FPS, difficulty reading cockpit gauges without leaning in or zooming, low combat effectiveness, motion sickness... There's just no reason to jump into DCS VR at this point except for a short lived novelty.

And yet you are writing in the VR forum... ok.

I get better than 40 fps in my Rift S and very good performance.

Yet even if I hit 40 fps it is still very smooth ( read not stuttering).

To anyone on the fence, only way to know for sure it you will like it is to actually try it. FWIW an Amazon Prime member you have 30 day window you can return for money back.

I have been flying in VR since Jan 2017 and loving every minute of it.

:pilotfly:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same here! :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

And yet you are writing in the VR forum... ok.

I get better than 40 fps in my Rift S and very good performance.

Yet even if I hit 40 fps it is still very smooth ( read not stuttering).

To anyone on the fence, only way to know for sure it you will like it is to actually try it. FWIW an Amazon Prime member you have 30 day window you can return for money back.

People interested in VR will check this forum first.

Like I did.

I think the VR cult here is doing more harm than good by praising an implementation that has very poor performance compared to other VR games, and even the same game in 4k.

It's really inexcusable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Remi,

Which is your opinion and by the sound of it because you want high fps. You are right in that you will not get it in dcs. You will not get it (100 fps). Period. You also do not get super sharp images like you will on a 4k screen. Period. If that is important for you VR is not for you. But saying VR is worthless is also not true.

You do get to sit in a cockpit. No outside world to spoil your immersion. For me it is as close to getting into a cockpit. Period. An fps of 45 is enough for a smooth and good gameplay. The immersion of experience height and distance. The fysical action needed to look around instead of the owl movement of trackir is really putting me there.

So VR delivers on that score. Further more no where on this forum will you find posts that say they get 100 fps or higher in VR. So if you were expecting that you have not informed your self well enough.

Compairing DCS with games that are exclusivly designed for VR is compairing apples and oranges. DCS was never designed with VR in mind. It was added later. Furthermore those games are nowhere as demanding for hardware as a flightsim.

Could the game get more optimized? I dont know, I hope so but it works for me now. I for one will not buy or play a flightsim that does not have VR no matter how well made. Period.

Using a Oculus Rift CV1.