HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

The new htc cosmos is expected to have foveated rendering, there's a partnership with NVIDIA and will be supported by rtx20 series VGA, but without eye tracking: a high-res screen with a high res rendering only in the center of the screen and a lower res along the edges / peripheral part.

Oculus project half dome (140° fov and fingers tracking without controllers) maybe does not have eye tracking but can be called true 2nd gen, when we'll have it on a consumer product. A simple screen - even with higher resolution - with two lenses in front of it, uses exactly the same techology of the CV1 and htc vive, so it is hard to call it 2nd gen.

Edited by nessuno0505

I haven't read anything about the reverb doing any sort of foveated rendering. And I think you will be waiting a very very long time if thats what you consider "real 2nd gen" I think some tech writers latched onto that idea because it "sounds" simple, but in practice FR with eye tracking is incredibly demanding in terms of render times. Just think about how fast your eyes move relative to your head. For FR the headset has to track your eye with almost no latency, send that information to the CPU (more latency), the CPU then has to figure out what you are looking at (more latency), then it has to make the draw calls (more latency), which then get pushed to the GPU, and if you are very lucky you might still be looking at that same spot, or maybe not. Also, from what I've read, Fixed foveated rendering on the pimax apparently looks pretty bad which doesn't surprise me in the least.

One thing people here maybe don't get is exactly how bad/demanding DCS is in VR. With my minimally specced system I can pull 90 frames in many VR games on "high" settings (I play Elite Dangerous on the highest settings and basically never have issues), but I struggle with DCS on fairly low settings. So realistically I can see even a 1070 running the HP set for "normal" VR applications but it will probably not be enough for DCS.

HTC are expecting to start selling their Vive pro eye with eye tracking by the end of this summer.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

what do you guys think, will a much larger number of pixels increase the load more on GPU or also a bit on CPU?

i am more familiar in the SimRacing universe, i.e. Assetto Corsa, and there we are all still surprised how VR is also occupying the CPU a lot more - compared to non-VR.

This is starting to look very interesting

Worth paying attention at 9m:50s

Wow, that is pretty cool... thanks for the post.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I can already imagine the conversation with Wifey-pooh...

"what do you have there??"

"Oh, this babe?"

"yeah, that?"

"it's called an HP Reverb... It's much better than that old Oculus thingy I've been using..."

"How much??"

"well, it was on sale, for $599..."

"and what's that??"

"That? well that's just an added accessory... they call it a 2080TI, but never mind that...." ;):megalol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Tell her you got the " accessory " on sale too.....makes all the difference :) My wife buys stuff she doesn't even need or want 'cause , you know , "Sale" !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

This is starting to look very interesting

Worth paying attention at 9m:50s

Thanks for sharing; I am very likely getting one of those instead of the Rift S now. But what prompts these devs to go with LCD instead of AMOLED? Is that just to keep the price down?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The new htc cosmos is expected to have foveated rendering, there's a partnership with NVIDIA and will be supported by rtx20 series VGA, but without eye tracking: a high-res screen with a high res rendering only in the center of the screen and a lower res along the edges / peripheral part.

Oculus project half dome (140° fov and fingers tracking without controllers) maybe does not have eye tracking but can be called true 2nd gen, when we'll have it on a consumer product. A simple screen - even with higher resolution - with two lenses in front of it, uses exactly the same techology of the CV1 and htc vive, so it is hard to call it 2nd gen.

I've read nothing to suggest the cosmos will have foeveated rendering. In fact quite the opposite, the cosmos is expected to be a qualcomm ref clone, and therfore "might" have 2160 screens. The Vive "eye" will have eye tracking but its a separate product entirely and in that case it will be used to improve virtual avatars not FR...

Half dome is going nowhere. Its why Brendan Iribe quit occulus (co founder). He was quoted as saying he didn't want to be part of the race to the bottom strategy that occulus was pursuing (rift-S).

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

DCS will be a slide show in this one

Maybe. Time will tell.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I can already imagine the conversation with Wifey-pooh...

"what do you have there??"

"Oh, this babe?"

"yeah, that?"

"it's called an HP Reverb... It's much better than that old Oculus thingy I've been using..."

"How much??"

"well, it was on sale, for $599..."

"and what's that??"

"That? well that's just an added accessory... they call it a 2080TI, but never mind that...." ;):megalol:

Or.....don't mention the Reverb. Not like she's going to know a Vive from a Rift from a Reverb. And the 2080Ti is *INSIDE* the computer. You're home free!!!:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for sharing; I am very likely getting one of those instead of the Rift S now. But what prompts these devs to go with LCD instead of AMOLED? Is that just to keep the price down?

Availability is one important factor. Not much supply. Samsung as an example won't sell their displays to competitors in critical areas.

what do you guys think, will a much larger number of pixels increase the load more on GPU or also a bit on CPU?

i am more familiar in the SimRacing universe, i.e. Assetto Corsa, and there we are all still surprised how VR is also occupying the CPU a lot more - compared to non-VR.

Its got 20% more pixels than a pimax 5k... So in "theory" its in the runnable by DCS ballpark... Worst case you can dial the PD down under 1.0.

Edited by Harlikwin

Its got 20% more pixels than a pimax 5k... So in "theory" its in the runnable by DCS ballpark... Worst case you can dial the PD down under 1.0.

It's concentrated in a lot less FOV than the Pimax though and more FOV = more stuff needing to be drawn. It should be runnable at 1.0 - like I said I've run my Odyssey (which has basically the same FOV) at 2160x2160 with PD and that was playable without visible stutters.

Have there been any clues about the actual release date?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't think foveated rendering is going to save us in DCS unfortunately - it sounds like it's something the game engine will have to support, and so even if it's added to VR headsets and the major unreal/unity game engines, the chances of it coming to DCS anytime soon are slim.

Or.....don't mention the Reverb. Not like she's going to know a Vive from a Rift from a Reverb. And the 2080Ti is *INSIDE* the computer. You're home free!!!:D

Ha, nice! But when the gig is up, dog house city eh? ;):lol:

All the reviews I read talked about an end of April release, in the US at least, no word for availability in others regions for now.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

April

I don't think foveated rendering is going to save us in DCS unfortunately - it sounds like it's something the game engine will have to support, and so even if it's added to VR headsets and the major unreal/unity game engines, the chances of it coming to DCS anytime soon are slim.

krieger_also_yes.jpg

It's concentrated in a lot less FOV than the Pimax though and more FOV = more stuff needing to be drawn. It should be runnable at 1.0 - like I said I've run my Odyssey (which has basically the same FOV) at 2160x2160 with PD and that was playable without visible stutters.

Yup... drawin a bigger fov at lower res is more demanding.

Maybe. Time will tell.

Ditto, I was told on this forum dozens of times the same thing about the Odyssey/Odyssey+ and Pimax5k too, and that wasn't my experience at all, especially with the Odyssey+. Eliminated SDE, virtually no god rays, and at 200% and 1.3 I have a pretty rock solid 45 with the re projection mod enabled, and 45 to 70fps with it off, in the Odyssey+. Pimax, not so much, but with settings adjusted, it's not a slide show by any means.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

@twobells,

I don't understand the HP Reverb calculation of pixels per degree. 2160 / 114 degrees = 18.9 so either the pixels per degree is less (at least horizontally ) or the field of view is. (25 ppd no way )

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

@twobells,

I don't understand the HP Reverb calculation of pixels per degree. 2160 / 114 degrees = 18.9 so either the pixels per degree is less (at least horizontally ) or the field of view is. (25 ppd no way )

114 fov is most likely measured diagonal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, GTX770 @1080p