Is there a tutorial for understanding which weapon to use on which target.

sollymans

Hello everyone, Normally I enjoy DCS world as a whirly pilot but having purchased the FA18 Module I am very much enjoying the learning curve and challenges of flying fixed wing both air to air and AG.

There are some fantastic youtube vids that have made a massive difference to the process mastering this amazing aircraft and systems however, having learnt( but not necessarily mastered) the technical aspects of delivering the various fa18 AG weapons I was wondering whether someone would be able to produce a video that covers which weapon, when, where, how and why.

Weapons-which weapon to employ for different target types ie sam, building, armour etc both as single targets and multiple close proximity targets. ie when should you be loading rockets, clusters or bombs and, if bombs, which bombs, how many and why.

Deployment - correct programming for the selected weapon for specific targets. ie if the target is a division of tanks which is the best weapon, what is the best delivery programming for quantity multiples and intervals, and what is the best delivery method - AUTO, CCIP, LOFT, High level, low level etc.

I realise that there are a considerable number of variables here, however if I could start with a general rule of thumb I can then practice and learn from experience but from the correct starting point.

Sollymans,

I'm no video producer, however, generally I'd say you definitely want to use standoff weapons like AGMs/PGMs against SAMs/AAA which doesn't help us right now in the F-18 :-)

Although given some of the expected ranges and the profile of LOFT bombing some lesser capable SAMs could be taken out by dumb bombs if you're accurate.

As you say there's a tool for every job hence the prevalence of munitions in DCS and RL..

I'm no expert but my general rule of thumb is evaluate the threat/target reach and then use a weapon you're comfortable deploying that will keep you out of that threat zone. No point trying to attack a target with a CCIP bomb if you're rubbish at using them (getting more practise aside)

I think you raise a good point for the manuals though that is they could have a few examples of target types appropriate to each weapon, although I bet some one has done a guide on here if you search a bit. I know there's some really good SAM threat guides on here.

Have you checked out the in game Encyclopedia?

And of course Google is your friend when it comes to videos or reports on the RL weapons and how they are used.

Sure other more learned guys will chip in too as there is some debate about the effectiveness of weapons/damage model in DCS right now. i.e. MK82s not blowing buildings up and whether they should and what size building, explosion splash damage modelling etc etc

Cheers

James

I would say pick a weapon, A2G or A2A, and practice with it until you know the basic characteristics and what it's going to do in the DCS Sim. Once you're comfortable move on to the next weapons system.

It's easy to get behind trying to master everything so keep it simple. As already said, look at Chuck's guide and watch what others are doing/saying.

This isn't a race.

Just my 2 cents

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

• 5 months later...

I know this is old, but I have the same question. Is there a guide anywhere to the effectiveness of specific air-to-ground weapons vs specific targets?

I've looked around but can't see anything. I know trial and error works wonders, but a simple table must exist which I think would be really useful.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm happy with bombs, delighted with Mavericks, kinda disappointed with cluster munitions. If I can see the target, a power plant for example, so far I like a single pass with a couple of mark84s. You don't always get more than one pass so I like like to do as much damage as possible the first time.

For units I like IR Mavs a lot, much easier to spot em, once you're locked on you can stay fairly high, easier to stay out of trouble.

More than one way to skin a cat. Check out the hoggitt training server, great way to learn what works for you against various units with or without defenses.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thanks for that. Yes, there are IA missions etc. that can be used to try different weapons on different types of target, and yuo can work it out by rial and error, but what I am looking for is a general 'idiot's guide' to all air-to-ground missiles including the kind of targets they are best used against.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I believe the reason we don't have this type of resource is because DCS is not accurate enough on how damage is implemented. I've dropped a MK-83 right next to a tank and there was no damage. To me, obviously there should have been some frag damage to the tank. Frag damage works good against softer targets like soldiers, ZU-23's, and trucks. So I don't think DCS is accurate enough to create such a resource/documentation.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

What about outside of DCS? A real life guide?

What about outside of DCS? A real life guide?

Look for AV8BB-TAC-050, its for the harrier but alot of the weapons are the same. I'd post a link but this verboten.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I mean broadly:

• HARM - good at suppressing radar SAMs, especially longer range ones (SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, SA-10, SA-11, SA-17, Hawk).
  • Maverick - good for making stand off attacks, where you don't want to get close but you can outrange the AAA or SAM (SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, SA-15, SA-19, Roland, Rapier). Good for killing longer range SAMs in pop-up attacks if you can terrain mask. Good for killing tanks and some ships.
  • Mk20/CBU-99 - good for killing infantry and soft vehicles: trucks, APCs, IFVs, SAM launchers, etc. Good for killing AAA, or killing some SAMs where you can terrain mask. Only good if you don't mind getting fairly low.
  • Mk82 - good for killing soft vehicles, small buildings. Requires you to be reasonably low.
  • Mk82 SnakeEye - good for lay-down attacks: dropping at low-level, and in level flight. Good for killing SAMs where you know the vehicle location very precisely and can terrain mask in.
  • Mk83 - good for killing larger buildings, or better armored vehicles if nothing better available.
  • Mk84 - good for killing hardened structures.
  • Rockets - good for killing infantry and soft vehicles, I particularly like them for attacks on very hilly terrain where clusters struggle.
  • LGBs - when we have TGP: good for killing SAMs or AAA that you can overfly if high enough (SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, SA-15, SA-19, Roland, Rapier). Good for killing tanks or ships. Good for killing precise buildings or bunkers. Good when fratricide is a risk, especially when you have JTAC. Good for loft attacks if you've got someone else to lase for you.
  • JDAMs - when we get them: good for killing stationary vehicles or stationary SAMs that you can overfly. Good for killings buildings or structures, good for loft attacks.
  • Glide bombs - good for killing targets you want to stand-off from.

Edited by Tomsk

I mean broadly:

• HARM - good at suppressing radar SAMs, especially longer range ones (SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, SA-10, SA-11, SA-17, Hawk).
  • Maverick - good for making stand off attacks, where you don't want to get close but you can outrange the AAA or SAM (SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, SA-15, SA-19, Roland, Rapier). Good for killing longer range SAMs in pop-up attacks if you can terrain mask. Good for killing tanks and some ships.
  • Mk20/CBU-99 - good for killing infantry and soft vehicles: trucks, APCs, IFVs, SAM launchers, etc. Good for killing AAA, or killing some SAMs where you can terrain mask. Only good if you don't mind getting fairly low.
  • Mk82 - good for killing soft vehicles, small buildings. Requires you to be reasonably low.
  • Mk82 SnakeEye - good for lay-down attacks: dropping at low-level, and in level flight. Good for killing SAMs where you know the vehicle location very precisely and can terrain mask in.
  • Mk83 - good for killing larger buildings, or better armored vehicles if nothing better available.
  • Rockets - good for killing infantry and soft vehicles, I particularly like them for attacks on very hilly terrain where clusters struggle.
  • LGBs - when we have TGP: good for killing SAMs or AAA that you can overfly if high enough (SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, SA-15, SA-19, Roland, Rapier). Good for killing tanks or ships. Good for killing precise buildings or bunkers. Good when fratricide is a risk, especially when you have JTAC. Good for loft attacks if you've got someone else to lase for you.
  • JDAMs - when we get them: good for killing stationary vehicles or stationary SAMs that you can overfly. Good for killings buildings or structures, good for loft attacks.

Do have similar need as OP. Came across this thread. Good question and thanks @Tomsk for making this list. Very helpful as a great start that pointing us to the right direction.

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

I would argue that there is no such guide as the one requested because the general answer is: it depends.

It depends on the target. It depends on the weapon. It depends on the platform. It depends on the tactical and strategic goals and necessities. It depends on what's in stock.

I believe that IRL, fighter pilots will spend considerable amounts of their training learning about all the various weapons, their effects, their pros and cons and how to use them.

In the real world, there's no matrix "Use A against B. Use C against D or E, but not against F".

So the answer would be: learn about the weapon types.

General purpose bombs have that name for a reason. ;)

Fusing options can make the difference between air burst, impact or delayed detonation (looks like we're getting some of these options with the Hornet).

Fitted with guidance kits, GP bombs turn into precision weapons, but each type of guidance has its own pros and cons.

Missiles have an effective range depending on release alt and speed at release, but none of that is any good if they can't guide to the target, and locking targets at 20 NM is no good when the effective range is only 5 NM.

As a rule of thumb, any pilot would probably choose the best weapon for the job, but it may not be up to the pilot to make that call.

In most missions, a safe return would probably be the highest priority. But if the lives of others depend on getting the job done, they might be ordered on a suicide run.

So, two scenarios (and I'm running pretty wild here, good chance this is completely unrealistic, but bear with me):

Scenario 1: Target is a single story building defended by a single SA-6 site, 100 NM from the target directly on the ingress route. How do you defeat the SA-6 and kill the target?

Well, who cares. Fly around the damn thing, kill the target, and fly around it again. No need to get in harm's way.

Scenario 2: Several badly injured soldiers need to be evac'd, rescue helos are 5 minutes out. A ZSU-23 is defending the battle area and the only friendly fighter jet in the AO is down to Mk-82s and guns. Oh, and low hanging clouds prevent the jet from doing a high alt release. Go after the Zeus with dumb bombs and/or guns from low alt?

Tough call. I sure don't wish that on anyone.

So, which weapon for which target? It depends.

I mean broadly:

Looks like a really useful list! Thanks for that.

I would argue that there is no such guide as the one requested because the general answer is: it depends.

It depends on the target. It depends on the weapon. It depends on the platform. It depends on the tactical and strategic goals and necessities. It depends on what's in stock.

I believe that IRL, fighter pilots will spend considerable amounts of their training learning about all the various weapons, their effects, their pros and cons and how to use them.

In the real world, there's no matrix "Use A against B. Use C against D or E, but not against F".

So the answer would be: learn about the weapon types.

General purpose bombs have that name for a reason. ;)

Fusing options can make the difference between air burst, impact or delayed detonation (looks like we're getting some of these options with the Hornet).

Fitted with guidance kits, GP bombs turn into precision weapons, but each type of guidance has its own pros and cons.

Missiles have an effective range depending on release alt and speed at release, but none of that is any good if they can't guide to the target, and locking targets at 20 NM is no good when the effective range is only 5 NM.

As a rule of thumb, any pilot would probably choose the best weapon for the job, but it may not be up to the pilot to make that call.

In most missions, a safe return would probably be the highest priority. But if the lives of others depend on getting the job done, they might be ordered on a suicide run.

So, two scenarios (and I'm running pretty wild here, good chance this is completely unrealistic, but bear with me):

Scenario 1: Target is a single story building defended by a single SA-6 site, 100 NM from the target directly on the ingress route. How do you defeat the SA-6 and kill the target?

Well, who cares. Fly around the damn thing, kill the target, and fly around it again. No need to get in harm's way.

Scenario 2: Several badly injured soldiers need to be evac'd, rescue helos are 5 minutes out. A ZSU-23 is defending the battle area and the only friendly fighter jet in the AO is down to Mk-82s and guns. Oh, and low hanging clouds prevent the jet from doing a high alt release. Go after the Zeus with dumb bombs and/or guns from low alt?

Tough call. I sure don't wish that on anyone.

So, which weapon for which target? It depends.

Thanks for that. I get where you are coming from, but still, there are clearly rules of thumb. Mission payloads are not chosen at random, they are judgements made on the basis of appropriate weapons for the given targets and conditions.

We know it's a sim and all....If you have to target in and around the towns and cities, than you also have to minimize the civilian casualties.

https://fas.org/man/eprint/civcas2018.pdf

"Crafting the operational design -- U.S. military planners also worked with partner forces during 2017 to design battle plans so ground forces were able to maneuver around areas of the enemy and civilians in such a way as to reduce harm to civilians."

"Conducting shaping actions -- U.S. forces also relied heavily on precision-guided munitions (PGMs) during 2017 to conduct shaping actions designed to degrade enemy capabilities and defenses well ahead of the arrival of ground forces. Although the law of war does not require the use of PGMs when non-precision-guided weapons may be used in compliance with the law of war, commanders understood that shaping actions could use a relatively few, well-placed PGMs to concentrate force for greater effects in degrading enemy defensive capabilities. This helped speed up the successful liberation of enemy-held areas and maximized the protection of civilians and structures. When supporting partner forces, most munitions were employed dynamically as the partner force maneuvered and was in contact with the enemy. By using shaping actions to shorten the period when ground forces would be in contact with enemy forces, the number of munitions employed by liberating forces in the conflict can often be decreased, resulting in more protection of civilians from the dangers of combat."

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• 10 months later...
I mean broadly:

After some searching I ran into this post. Very helpful when trying to create realistic ME scenarios.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS X570-PLUS, NVidia RTX 2080, 32GB DDR4 @2400MHz, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Corsair H100i cooler, Oculus Rift S.