KA50 pro tips requested - Page 3 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #21
ams999
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
For the life of me I can't find this command, what is it called? there is nothing in bindings called skval reset.
Look for "Button Targeting mode reset"
__________________
"[...] because, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no-one's died - it's not good for anybody."
Keith 'Okie' Nance
ams999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #22
Oceandar
Member
 
Oceandar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Probably would make you smirking
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Not really.



Your rotor above you is constantly rotating at near sound barrier.

Going on all directions, at various speeds etc.



You can't hide from a radar unless you turn your engines off.



Your fuselage speed doesn't matter, your rotor disk does..



But radar requires special mode to filter the rotor to get a valid targeting data. Otherwise rotor is huge noise jammer that blinds radar from that area.



That is one reason why helicopters has special cases in airfields etc as they cause lots of trouble. And why wind turbines cause bad radar blocking on radars etc.











So no matter what you do, Doppler effect is there at high speed, to all directions even at the wind turbine speeds.
I was not talking about real life but in DCS. A well known virtual squad have tested it. But I must add that AWACS seem to be able to detect no matter what as long as you're not behind an object or something.
__________________
Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze
Oceandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #23
Fri13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandar View Post
I was not talking about real life but in DCS. A well known virtual squad have tested it. But I must add that AWACS seem to be able to detect no matter what as long as you're not behind an object or something.
I was talking that DCS should be changed.
__________________
i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 1080Ti SLI 11GB, Oculus CV1.
i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 60" HDR 4K.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #24
Harlikwin
Senior Member
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Not really.

Your rotor above you is constantly rotating at near sound barrier.
Going on all directions, at various speeds etc.

You can't hide from a radar unless you turn your engines off.

Your fuselage speed doesn't matter, your rotor disk does..

But radar requires special mode to filter the rotor to get a valid targeting data. Otherwise rotor is huge noise jammer that blinds radar from that area.

That is one reason why helicopters has special cases in airfields etc as they cause lots of trouble. And why wind turbines cause bad radar blocking on radars etc.





So no matter what you do, Doppler effect is there at high speed, to all directions even at the wind turbine speeds.
Do radars normally filter it out? I.e. its low and slow so its not what I'm looking for?
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
3WA
Member
 
3WA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 409
Default

It sure didn't in Falcon BMS.


I don't think there was any "filter" you could hit, to tell the computer "no heli's". But it's been a few years since I flew the F-16 in BMS.


Not sure if Ground Radar would see it or not either. Might show up as a vehicle. But I'm sure the radar would know what it was from it's unique Doppler signature.

Last edited by 3WA; 06-18-2019 at 09:09 PM.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #26
Thumper152
Junior Member
 
Thumper152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 12
Default

So I am curious how this is modeled in DCS, more so how it is modeled for the F-18. I have been trying to be sneak sneaky on enemy positions on growling sidewinders server and those pesky 18's seem to pick me off no problem with 120's at altitude. Even when I think I am in a "safe" spot, super low, terrain masking and in a hover they still manage to find me no problem.
Thumper152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
Oceandar
Member
 
Oceandar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Probably would make you smirking
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper152 View Post
So I am curious how this is modeled in DCS, more so how it is modeled for the F-18. I have been trying to be sneak sneaky on enemy positions on growling sidewinders server and those pesky 18's seem to pick me off no problem with 120's at altitude. Even when I think I am in a "safe" spot, super low, terrain masking and in a hover they still manage to find me no problem.
That is because the AWACS tells them via datalink. AWACS detection seems immune from "minimum" 70 knots unless you're covered behind a hill or something. It can detect you even when you're hovering.
__________________
Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze
Oceandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
3WA
Member
 
3WA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 409
Default

And I think it was GTharos that said some time ago that "doppler doesn't see you at 70 knots" should be taken out, as it's really a cheat. So, maybe they did.

Anyway, supposedly your heli stands out like a bonfire to dopper radar, IRL. So, there's no hiding from it, unless your behind cover.

This is why I tell people don't ever go high if there's any kind of radar around. Keep behind the trees and buildings, and do popup attacks. Of course, against fighters, even that doesn't help. I've been sniped by 30mm from an A-10 while flying down a road, just above the ground between buildings. The AI in this game can be god like.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.