setting gamma so it's realistic for evening/night flights...

fitness88

I'm on 2.2 - found everything below too dark. Think about it this way, there is a reason why they need their visors up there on a sunny day:

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I'm on 2.2 - found everything below too dark. Think about it this way, there is a reason why they need their visors up there on a sunny day:

I found above 2.0 things get washed out colour wise.

I think the different theatres require different setting values for gamma.

Try different times, maps and weather settings. I don't know what you mean with washed out colors, but at high noon on a clear blue sky, the sun should be a very prominent light source and the ground and everything else properly brightened up.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Try different times, maps and weather settings. I don't know what you mean with washed out colors, but at high noon on a clear blue sky, the sun should be a very prominent light source and the ground and everything else properly brightened up.

As the sun begins to set until it totally disappears or as the sun begins to rise until it is totally up, visually is a very nice time to fly. Gamma setting has a lot to do with what hour of the evening or morning this happens.

F-18, persian gulf instant mission free flight, sun at the horizon - fantastic and realistic visuals with a Vive Pro or Index on gamma 2.2. I absolutely love what PBR and HDRi lighting does for DCS.

I have never seen washed out colors, can you provide a screenshot?

F-18, persian gulf instant mission free flight, sun at the horizon - fantastic and realistic visuals with a Vive Pro or Index on gamma 2.2. I absolutely love what PBR and HDRi lighting does for DCS.

I have never seen washed out colors, can you provide a screenshot?

From your observation what happens to the colouration when you raise gamma slowly till it can't be raised anymore?

I've never set anything above 2.2. But what i've seen on 1.5 and 1.8 is that ingame global illumination doesn't look realistic. Shadows too dark, contrasts too high, too much saturation - something you would expect from a photoshop filtered image. It looks pretty at first look, like you expect from an enhanced video or photo, but light bounces in reality, there is no chance of a deep black shadow on the runway or in cockpit if you have a 180° dome of blue light above you with an additional very strong directional lightsource, from which light bounces even down to the pedal section deep in the cockpit.

However, the HMD and it's panels also play a role. OLED panels like Vive and Vive Pro reproduce 100% sRGB levels, the only LCD panels i know that match 99% sRGB are in the Valve Index. Rift S is around 95%, but also paired with much lower luminance levels. Which is a lot in a bad way, that's why the Rift S is so much cheaper. (

)

I've never set anything above 2.2. But what i've seen on 1.5 and 1.8 is that ingame global illumination doesn't look realistic. Shadows too dark, contrasts too high, too much saturation - something you would expect from a photoshop filtered image. It looks pretty at first look, like you expect from an enhanced video or photo, but light bounces in reality, there is no chance of a deep black shadow on the runway or in cockpit if you have a 180° dome of blue light above you with an additional very strong directional lightsource, from which light bounces even down to the pedal section deep in the cockpit.

However, the HMD and it's panels also play a role. OLED panels like Vive and Vive Pro reproduce 100% sRGB levels, the only LCD panels i know that match 99% sRGB are in the Valve Index. Rift S is around 95%, but also paired with much lower luminance levels. Which is a lot in a bad way, that's why the Rift S is so much cheaper. (

)

Using Oculus must be giving me a different gamma affect at different settings than you...I should have asked what you are using.

Good read on your comparison link, thanks.