How to...capture a scene like in the warthog trailer?

hey guys

after hours of trying out the different view options and padlock options i still cant figure out how the guys could track that missile from that perspective so smooth...

im speaking about the a10c trailer and the scene which starts at 2:39

how can they first track the plane that smooth, and then make a smooth transition to the missile, and track it, without switching views?

i know there is the padlock function, and thats how they probably kept the plane in sight...but i cant padlock the missile from such a view.

i am only able to use the F6 view where the camera focuses on the missile...but doing that makes such a smooth transition impossible it seems...

this scene is a mystery to me...any ideas how they did it?

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

The only conceivable way someone could do that without padlock, in my mind, would be to record at verrrry slow speed and carefully track the missile with the mouse. They could then speed it up when editing.

This thread should be placed elsewhere, however, as it has nothing to do with "Third Party Projects." Screenshots and Videos would be more appropriate. :)

you can move the camera around with alt plus F2 and then with F3 or alt F3 you can track the plane theres also a camera mode that allows you to track missiles fired from your plane, look at the camera options somethings got to be there, also they could have spliced those to together in an editing software.

• ED Team

Since I am the one who made that shot, I can explain:

First, I used "Freecam" view, using F11, and placing the camera somewhere far away from my plane. Then i hit CTRL-F3, and the view will snap to your plane, and start tracking you (just the same as hitting F3, flyby view).

Then I slowed time down some, and recorded. When i saw the mav beeing launched, I paused the sim, hit CTRL-F11 to go back to freecam mode, then hitting the "follow ordnance" key, or whatever it's called. This way the camera will track bombs, missiles, etc..

Then i resumed the recording.

And during editing, the 2 shots were alligned perfectly to make the transition seamless.

A similar shot was made in this scene:

tracking.thumb.png.ac0f306a8ba482e7186c50471d067771.png

Edited by Glowing_Amraam

thx for the answer...but i already did try that many times...hitting the numpad Del key only tracks my plane....at least 99 out of 100times...

i did manage to track the missile once or twice for some reason, but all the other failed attempts, well...failed.

those two times, i dont know what i did different.for some reason it just tracked the missile suddenly.but by then i already lost my original view angle...im at a loss

• ED Team
thx for the answer...but i already did try that many times...hitting the numpad Del key only tracks my plane....at least 99 out of 100times...

i did manage to track the missile once or twice for some reason, but all the other failed attempts, well...failed.

those two times, i dont know what i did different.for some reason it just tracked the missile suddenly.but by then i already lost my original view angle...im at a loss

I believe you have to have the missile/bomb in-view when you hit the "lock on ordnance" key, otherwize it wont work.

well, i dont need to have it directly in view it seems...but it only works for me when im already in F2 view mode....and i have to have pressed the RCtrl+Num+ before i fire the missile....

then it will automatically switch to the missile view and track it...but again, there is then a switch of the view which doesnt lead at all to the result you have reached in your video...

in all other views(F3,LCtrl+F3,LCtrl+F11,.....) even when i have direct view on the plane and the missile, it doesnt track the missile...

• 1 month later...