DCS and Odyssey+ cross-eyed!!

sandman330

In reality I don't know if the problem is caused by DCS.. After updating to 1903 I get the misalignment, but after switching to the 90 hz mode the problem disappears. Strangely after that, I put the 60 hz mode again and the misalignment didn't happen.

I prefer the 60hz mode because I feel fine at this refresh rate and it allows me to bump the graphic settings with a 50 % margin, but in this Windows version they cut the fov of the visor at 60 hz mode and make this mode unusable. There are some people moaning about a loss of image sharpness in this version too, but it didn't happen to me.

Hope MS fix all these problems, I am very happy with how the O+ behaves in the 1809 version and was thinking about buying a Reverb.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Can I be sure that missaligment profile is loaded? Is there any way to open/check it?

Maybe it's paranoja, but I kind of "feel" that it's not loaded, and I don't want to delete settings file everytime to make sure it's ok.

edit: I did little bit of a investigation, and maybe I'll start pointing out another problem.

As I also, like one other user more "felt" that this "copy to left eye" does something, I decided to somehow test it. And fell into another issue:

VR ZOOM.

I've assigned VR Zoom to a button, and looked at the truck at the airfield while zoom.

I see two images. So I grab slider, adjust to have normal image. I barely understand what slider does, but at some point again, I feel that I see right.

Unzoom

I can see double everything right now in non-VR ZOOM mode.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to set this up that every zoom level (I think there are two, for cockpit and for "futher away") works properly?

Edited by MadogPL

• 2 months later...

Please help if someone can!

Sadly I have the Crosseyed Problem too in DCS and only in DCS!

I tried the Debug Tool with not much luck.

I can make the Crosseyed effect go away a little bit with the Tool, but it will not go away completely. When I open up SteamVR Home with the Home button while playing DCS i can clearly see how far off DCS still is.

I am using the Valve Index with a 2080ti @ 2Ghz and a 5930K @ 4.4Ghz

Hi all,

Here are my experiences on the misalignment issue.

Short version:

Launch DCS so that the alignment debug tool window shows up and swap the TOP and BOTTOM values for each side; don't mix left and right side values or make any other changes. Try it out and if it works you're good to go.

---------------------

Long version:

There may be some errors or inaccuracies in the explanations below. Feel free to correct.

Each headset is calibrated at factory to some standard viewing position i.e. nominal eye position and the calibration values are saved. This is performed using a fixture with machine vision cameras, I believe. Essentially, the measured calibration values tell how to shift the image on the headset in order to compensate for the inaccuracy of mechanical placement of the displays during manufacturing.

SteamVR and other software read these values and use them to shift the drawn 2D images in the early phase of image creation. If the image was shifted at the headset, some margin at the edges of the displays would be required and that margin would mean either black edges or extra computation time needed to generate image on areas that will not be displayed.

Now, some cross-eye effect may result if a person has slight variation in his eyes from the nominal. For example, the height of the eyes may not be the same in real life but the headset calibration must assume that. The option to freely adjust all of the calibration values for DCS may allow one to correct for this. I'm not sure since I didn't have the need for that.

However, DCS seems to have an additional issue with image alignment but it is difficult to tell precisely what it is, since we all have different subjective ways to react and tolerate visual imperfections. My experience is that the cross-eye effect is mainly due to vertical misalignment.

My method to verify differences and eye misalignment in particular is first to check that the steamVR basic screens and lobby seem ok by moving around and grabbing or touching immobile objects near the edges of the play area so that I can "feel" whether the steamVR "chaperone" boundaries move/stay in place in sync with my muscle memory / motorics. I've done this with 4 Rift headsets, VivePro headset, and 2 Index headsets. With IPD correct it was pretty ok for all the headsets I've tried.

If this step is ok for you then any remaining misalignment issues are most likely with DCS.

I have tried the DCS misalignment tool ("force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true" in autoexec.cfg) using only two Index headsets since I've returned or sold all the others. Both Index headsets are corrected for the cross-eye effect in DCS in exactly the same manner despite them having entirely different factory-calibration values.

By sitting in the cockpit, headset on, steamVR chaperone permanently on, and moving and tilting my head around, it is possible to check whether the artificial lines and patterns generated by steamVR software match the cockpit knobs, dials, panel corners etc. in the 3D visual world. The chaperone lines either seem to stay put or seem to drift / move as I move my head around. Head roll (like roll with airplane) while looking down at cockpit instruments seems to be very good motion to reveal mismatches of the 3D worlds between steamVR and DCS.

By default they don't match for my headset and therefore produce the feel of the cross-eyed effect.

On both Index headsets the match between SteamVR and DCS 3D worlds happens if I just swap the top and bottom numbers of the calibration for each eye in the DCS tool. Each headset has it's own set of values and therefore using someone elses numbers usually won't help. All in all, this suggests that there is a tiny bug somewhere in the software where it reads the calibration values for the headset but I can't tell for sure.

There may also be the same issue with left and right values, but that is trickier to observe. Our eyes are quite efficient at self-adjusting for sideways misalignment automatically without us noticing it.

For world scale adjustment I use the steamVR option IPDoffset instead of the adjustment in DCS VR options screen but that is basically another topic (Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings, option "ipdOffset" : <number>, <number> = 0.063 - <your real-life IPD in meters>, e.g. my IPD is ~69mm --> "ipdOffset" : -0.006 ). The reason is that it applies to other games, too, in addition to DCS.

I hope this was not too confusing and helps you out.

Edited by RedX

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

• 2 years later...

Hello-

Is this still a current solution?

New to DSC with VR and I'm having this cross eyed issue with the Odyssey+
I've tried to install the ImGui and Visualizer files from the 2019 'solution' and it just locks up DCS, a slew of errors on start up.
Replace these two files with the originals and it starts up fine.

Is there anything current to help with this issue?

thanks,

john-