Carrier Ops: Recovery Tanker 24/7

funkyfranky

ldF35ri.png

Recovery Tanker

• Regular pattern update with respect to carrier position.
  • No restrictions regarding carrier waypoints and heading.
  • Automatic respawning when tanker runs out of fuel for 24/7 operations.
  • Tanker can be spawned cold or hot on the carrier or at any other airbase or directly in air.
  • Automatic AA TACAN beacon setting.
  • Multiple tankers at the same carrier.
  • Multiple carriers due to object oriented approach.
  • Finite State Machine (FSM) implementation, which allows the mission designer to hook into certain events.

Documentation

RecoveryTanker_Pattern.jpg

Docs can be found here.

Example Mission

An example mission v1.0.6 is attached. It features:

• An S-3B tanker (Shell) at the USS Stennis spawned on the deck which will orbit at angels 6.
  • An E-2D Hawkeye (Wizard) spawned at angels 20.
  • A KC-130 (Arco) is spawned at Batumi and will go on station above the USS Tarawa at angels 6.
  • Both carriers have a rescue helo available. (Hop into the F/A-18C slot and eject - you shall not be in trouble for long).

Note that radio frequencies, TACAN channels and modex are set dynamically via the script and overrule the settings in the mission editor.

Lua code:

------------------------------------
-- Recovery Tanker Example Script --
------------------------------------

-- S-3B at USS Stennis spawning on deck.
local tankerStennis=RECOVERYTANKER:New("USS Stennis", "Texaco Group")

-- Custom settings:
tankerStennis:SetRadio(261)
tankerStennis:SetTACAN(1, "SHL")
tankerStennis:SetCallsign(CALLSIGN.Tanker.Shell)
tankerStennis:SetModex(0)  -- "Triple nuts"

-- Start recovery tanker.
-- NOTE: If you spawn on deck, it seems prudent to delay the spawn a bit after the mission starts.
tankerStennis:__Start(1)

-- E-2D @ USS Stennis spawning in air.
local awacsStennis=RECOVERYTANKER:New("USS Stennis", "E2D Group")

-- Custom settings:
awacsStennis:SetAWACS()
awacsStennis:SetCallsign(CALLSIGN.AWACS.Wizard)
awacsStennis:SetTakeoffAir()
awacsStennis:SetAltitude(20000)
awacsStennis:SetSpeed(300)
awacsStennis:SetRadio(262)
awacsStennis:SetTACAN(2, "WIZ")
awacsStennis:SetRacetrackDistances(40, 20)
awacsStennis:SetModex(666)

-- Start AWACS.
awacsStennis:Start()

-- KC-130 @ USS Tarawa spawned at Batumi.
local tankerTarawa=RECOVERYTANKER:New("USS Tarawa", "Shell Group")

-- Custom settings:
tankerTarawa:SetHomeBase(AIRBASE.Caucasus.Batumi)
tankerTarawa:SetRadio(263)
tankerTarawa:SetTACAN(3, "ARC")
tankerTarawa:SetCallsign(CALLSIGN.Tanker.Arco)

-- Start recovery tanker.
tankerTarawa:Start()

-- Rescue Helo @ USS Stennis spawned on deck hot.
heloStennis=RESCUEHELO:New("USS Stennis", "Rescue Helo Group")
heloStennis:SetModex(21)
heloStennis:Start()

-- Rescue Helo @ USS Tarawa spawned in air.
heloTarawa=RESCUEHELO:New("USS Tarawa", "Rescue Helo Group")
heloTarawa:SetTakeoffAir()
heloTarawa:Start()

-- Set carrier strike groups to patrol waypoints indefinitely. Once the last waypoint is reached, group will go back to first waypoint and start over.
UNIT:FindByName("USS Stennis"):PatrolRoute()
UNIT:FindByName("USS Tarawa"):PatrolRoute()

Download: You need the latest Moose.lua from the development branch. Watch out that you really download the lua and not the html file. It's a bit tricky this one.

Last Not Least

Thanks to Highwayman-Ed for help in testing and suggestion for improvements!

Also some guys on the Moose Discord channel gave great feedback :thumbup:

Hope it helps :)

RecoveryTanker_v106.miz

Edited by funkyfranky
Fixed download link

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

This is great. I have it sort of working. Tanker respawns but I cannot communicate with it (doesn't appear in the F menu, and it doesn't seem to stay on station. It reaches its point and then proceeds to land. E2 stays on station but I cannot communicate with it either.

Here's my script

S3Stennis=RECOVERYTANKER:New(UNIT:FindByName("USS Stennis"), "TankerS3") --carrier unit name and tanker group name
S3Stennis:SetRadio(254) --sets radio to 254, defaults to AM
S3Stennis:SetTakeoffAir()  --sets take off from carrier once, then respawn in the air
S3Stennis:SetAltitude(5000)  --change number to whatever altitude you want
S3Stennis:SetSpeed(290) -- change number to whatever speed you want the tanker to fly
S3Stennis:SetRacetrackDistances(20,5)  --sets the racetrack distance from the carrier in NM
S3Stennis:SetHomeBase ("USS Stennis")
S3Stennis:IsRunning()
S3Stennis:SetPatternUpdateInterval() --Pattern will update. Default is 10 minutes
S3Stennis:Start()

E2

E2Stennis=RECOVERYTANKER:New(UNIT:FindByName("USS Stennis"), "E2") --carrier unit name and tanker group name
E2Stennis:SetRadio(264) --sets E2 radio to 264, defaults to AM
E2Stennis:SetTakeoffAir()  --sets take off from carrier once, then respawn in the air
E2Stennis:SetAltitude(25000)  --change number to whatever altitude you want
E2Stennis:SetSpeed(270) -- change number to whatever speed you want the E2 to fly
E2Stennis:SetRacetrackDistances(20,5)  --sets the racetrack distance from the carrier in NM
E2Stennis:SetHomeBase ("USS Stennis")
E2Stennis:Start() 

Edited by BoneDust

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

I've got a dual aircraft setup I'm working on, AWACs and Tanker. AWACs starts on deck, takes off and does it's orbit, no problem. S-3 is airstarted. Immediately descends and enters the pattern to land at the carrier. Am I missing seomthing in the code?

TexacoStennis=RECOVERYTANKER:New(UNIT:FindByName("USS Stennis"), "Texaco")
TexacoStennis:SetAltitude(6000)
TexacoStennis:SetRadio(261)
TexacoStennis:SetTACAN(10, "TKR")
TexacoStennis:SetTakeoffAir()
TexacoStennis:Start()

HawkyStennis=RECOVERYTANKER:New(UNIT:FindByName("USS Stennis"), "Hawkeye")
HawkyStennis:SetAltitude(20000)
HawkyStennis:SetRadio(266)
HawkyStennis:Start()

@BD @TonyG, if you have two (or more) "tankers" per carrier and only one stays in orbit, it sounds like you are not using the very latest development Moose.lua version. I added that feature just yesterday.

Edit: The download link in the first post was pointing to the master and not the deveopment branch. Fixed that.

Also, when the aircraft enters its pattern it gets the enroute task Tanker via the script. I guess, I can add a function to give it the roll of an AWACS.

Edited by funkyfranky

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

Hi

Thanks so much for this. These additions make the DCS World seem a little more alive.

Having a problem with my Tanker, Arco Group, Late Activate from USS Stennis.

If I set the Tanker to SetTakeoffAir(), it works perfectly.

However if I want it to take of from the Stennis, I get a USS Stennis_Arco Group_01#001 is not alive anymore error.

I thought it might be a problem with my Static objects on the Deck so I moved them all out the way and still have the same issue.

Using the Dev version of MOOSE as listed above.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ross

Any ideas?

Hi Ross, can you attach the mission. I need to have a look so say more. Could be something related to the dynamic spawning on the deck, which is why I introduced the spawning in air.

With a clean deck, I never had problems.

Thanks!

Hi Ross, can you attach the mission. I need to have a look so say more. Could be something related to the dynamic spawning on the deck, which is why I introduced the spawning in air.

With a clean deck, I never had problems.

Thanks!

Hi

I removed everything from the Deck and set my Rescue Helo to spawn 60 seconds in, and now the Tanker spawns. :thumbup:

EDIT: So I did as I said above and then carried on with the mission and things go a little crazy. I am attaching the mission for you to take a look at. I have not done anymore digging, but thought you might want to see this in case you can spot a bug or something (it is very possible I have done something horribly wrong as very new to ME scripting)

The Tanker will spawn, then hook up to CAT1, then my Rescue Helo spawns and Carrier group starts maneuvering. It is Setup on a straight course.

The Tanker then despawns and another is spawned. It moves to CAT1 and then sits for a bit, where is suddenly disappears and then spawns again and flies off the deck from the parking spot with wings still folded.

Leaves at almost warp speed.

PG Map 001_TEST.miz

Edited by TechRoss

@BD @TonyG, if you have two (or more) "tankers" per carrier and only one stays in orbit, it sounds like you are not using the very latest development Moose.lua version. I added that feature just yesterday.

Edit: The download link in the first post was pointing to the master and not the deveopment branch. Fixed that.

Also, when the aircraft enters its pattern it gets the enroute task Tanker via the script. I guess, I can add a function to give it the roll of an AWACS.

Ok, that is probably why bud. I really appreciate the work you've done. It is much easier getting these things into the missions. Looking forward to the AWACS one :thumbup:

I will try the updated link.

Much appreciated man!

cheers

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Yep, that was the problem.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Hey FF, is it possible in the future to have the orbit location adjustable like the SAR helo, so the tanker can be place port or starboard side not just bow or stern? That would be perfect.

Great addon for mission builders man.

Edited by BoneDust

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Bingo. Thank you.

As said, this is a great addition for mission designers, especially as the age of carrier aviation in DCS is beginning in earnest.

Bring on the 'Cat!

Edit: Disregard, I am being a dump ass....

I was looking at my problem with the CVN changing course, and the Rescue Helo script seems to be the problem.

local RandomRoute is set to false.

Just as more info.

Edited by TechRoss

Hi Ross, looked at your mission last night. I saw that you are still using my clumsy old Rescue Helo script. The Rescue Helo is meanwhile also included as an own Moose class with new features and easier scripting.

I'll upload an updated example mission here today or tomorrow :)

Hi Ross, looked at your mission last night. I saw that you are still using my clumsy old Rescue Helo script. The Rescue Helo is meanwhile also included as an own Moose class with new features and easier scripting.

I'll upload an updated example mission here today or tomorrow :)

Oh geezzz, sorry man. Hate to have wasted your time. Some much good stuff and info on the forum, it is hard to keep up with what is happening and must have missed that the Helo script has moved to the framework.

Thanks

Ross

Hi guey, as promised, updated the script and example mission in the first post:

• Added AWACS roll.
  • Added modex.
  • Fixed a couple of bugs and other minor improvements.

Let me know how it goes :)

Hi guey, as promised, updated the script and example mission in the first post:

• Added AWACS roll.
  • Added modex.
  • Fixed a couple of bugs and other minor improvements.

Let me know how it goes :)

Friggin sweet buddy!!!! :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Hey bud...love the addition of the AWACS. It works great but for some reason the E2 starts with 2 aircraft. One of them lands immediately. I'm going to take a look at my script but I don't think there's any errors.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

It works great but for some reason the E2 starts with 2 aircraft.

Hi mate, can you explain a bit more what you mean by this? In an AWACS group there can be only one aircraft unit within the group as this is restricted by DCS. Does your script spawn two planes?

If so, can you send me the script code, pls?

Hi mate, can you explain a bit more what you mean by this? In an AWACS group there can be only one aircraft unit within the group as this is restricted by DCS. Does your script spawn two planes?

If so, can you send me the script code, pls?

Sorry bud. Issue at my end. For whatever reason the "Late Activation" box was deselected. It happens to me quite a bit. I re set it and it is working great :thumbup: If that box isn't checked two aircraft will appear.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

For whatever reason the "Late Activation" box was deselected.

Happens to me all the time ;)

Excellent bit of work FF! Really helps taking the tedium out of setting up carrier based missions and works really well. Much appreciation for the work involved and sharing with the community. :thumbup:

Quick question/feature idea - Would it be easy enough to implement a 'hot start/takeoff from runway' addition to the spawn variables for the fixed wings?

Before your script came on the scene I was setting up the support aircraft the usual long way round and often times set the S-3B & E-2D to a hot takeoff from runway at mission start...It was really cool and immersive to have planes used in the mission launching from the carrier and getting on station while performing the start-up.

I know they do exactly that with the hot start in your script...but the poor old DCS AI really does like to take it's time getting the aircraft from their hot 'parked' position, then on to the catapults, and then launching...one at a time.

Just thought i'd run it up the flag pole and see if it was something you'd consider easy enough or worth doing.

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

FunkyFrancky,

I really like your recovery tanker script. Excellent job!

Do you think it'd be possible to complete it with the aircraft carrier turning into the wind?

And how could we do that? Please bear with me, I'm a complete dummy as far as Moose scripting is concerned.

Thanks

Judy

• 4 months later...

Sorry, I'm a noob for Moose and Lua... My questions are 1) what is Setmodex(some number) and does SetTACAN set the TACAN channel to the first number? Ex:

tankerStennis:SetModex(15) = TACAN mode X at channel 15

tankerStennis:SetTACAN(1, "SHL") = TACAN channel? "shl" ???

1) what is Setmodex(some number) and does SetTACAN set the TACAN channel to the first number? Ex:

tankerStennis:SetModex(15) = TACAN mode X at channel 15

tankerStennis:SetTACAN(1, "SHL") = TACAN channel? "shl" ???

According to the documentation, modex is the tail number of the tanker

As for :SetTACAN() you can see what it does also in the documentation

Edited by Hardcard