Question about C-17 and flares

Rangi

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=420_1417415481

In the above video (sorry I don't know how to embed) the C-17s release 2 types of flares, bright white ones and glowing dull red. Does anyone know what the dull red ones are or is that just the pyrotechnics for pumping out the chaff??

I'm going to guess that the two types of flares are made for 2 different type of IR threats which utilize different parts of the IR/Visible spectrum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm going to guess that the two types of flares are made for 2 different type of IR threats which utilize different parts of the IR/Visible spectrum.

There are not two types of flares. The redish, darker but sparkling things are chaffs (00:48, 00:57, 01:06, 01:29, 01:45, 01:56)

First they are pumping out flares and after chaffs.

Mostly visible at 01:56 We can see the exploding charges creating whirling foil clouds.

Great video :thumbup:

Edited by HungaroJET

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

There are not two types of flares. The redish, darker but sparkling things are chaffs (00:48, 00:57, 01:06, 01:29, 01:45, 01:56)

Mostly visible at 01:56 We can see the exploding charges creating whirling foil clouds.

Ahh THanks!! Yes it is a great video.

DCS: C-17? Cockpit looks nice. I could see myself flying that once or twice. Would bring in a ton of the M$ Flight crowd too into DCS aswell.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would bring in a ton of the M$ Flight crowd too into DCS aswell.

Not on the small map we have right now. Even on the longest distances between to airports available currently, you will hardly reach cruise altitude with that bird before you have to descent again.

The M$ Flight crowd that flies such type of aircraft probably would not be very interested into that.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Not on the small map we have right now. Even on the longest distances between to airports available currently, you will hardly reach cruise altitude with that bird before you have to descent again.

The M$ Flight crowd that flies such type of aircraft probably would not be very interested into that.

The maps should be released as a patchwork on a global map. Nevada, BlackSea/Georgia and the Gulf all appearing on one map with zero detail in between, until other maps patch into it. Good plan, No? :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No.

Looks like covert flares to me. Check out this page:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/mju-50.htm

Covert flares combine the IR decoy features of a standard flare without announcing your presence visually to everyone within a 300 mile radius.

Yep. MJU-50/B.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

• 2 years later...