open DCS Google satellite maps

lee1hy

Can DCS get satellite maps in conjunction with Google Maps? In old fsx, the satellite map was not good quality, but I think dcs can use the satellite map system in an open map method.

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

DCS already uses a hybrid system that includes sat imagery I belive.

That said, google does not make sat images, they simply provide them in their maps service, no need for any middle-mans, no need for google.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 year later...

Bump. The way I see it is that we should have the option to fly anywhere in the world, because there's enough satellite and topography data already available, and then develop a theatre pack of an area of interest. Seems logical to me. If we fly outside the area, we won't have anymore stuff to blow up, but the map will continue. Why reinvent the wheel when when we already have the entire planet mapped out? imagine the possibilities. Outsource the base terrain. Users could setup a mission anywhere in the planet. And all that data will be on the cloud. Saving us tons of storage. I know; sounds like Microsoft Combat Simulator already. But Goggle is better for maps.

Edited by Dex0
  • Like 1

HTC Vive Pro/ Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3GHz/ 32GB RAM/ Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080/

• 3 months later...

problem with the DCS maps is the fact, that they are huge on your SSD.....even they are small in comparison to MSFS (its the whole world, backed by the huge MS server power). i doubt, that DCS would be able to do a similar approach via streaming, because of backend-cost.

BUT im sure, ED could optimize the maps better with procedural tech and auto-creation of ground assets. the fact that every tree, every house is hard set in the data makes the maps so data-heavy.

hell.....syria fills my ram to 60GB! thats insane!

who say's it has to be ED's Server?

There's other programs that take Sat. Images from MS's Servers and stream them down to the customer.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just out of curiosity - how would that work? Pure flight sims can get away with using these kinds of maps because they don't have to place and path units. If you have a two years old mission, and the scenery for your critical region has changed in the intervening time - which takes precedence? The old map info? That's probably not available any more. So your mission probably breaks. What about the airports? If you take a recent tour through the Caucasus region, you'll notice that many of the airfields we know either don't exist any more, or look significantly different. How will that integrate? 

I'm not against this feature - I'm all for it. As mission designer I'm also highly interested how a mission can reconcile with 'real-time' data when the mission time is significantly out of date (say, a 1945 Normandy)

• Like 2