[CANNOT REPLICATE] FCR Target Lock - Then FCR auto changes range and breaks lock - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Konfucius

Default [CANNOT REPLICATE] FCR Target Lock - Then FCR auto changes range and breaks lock

So I've seen this annoying thing for a while now. Not sure if it's a bug or something I'm doing wrong.

I'll see a target, lets say at 70m out and I'm in the 80m range on my FCR.

I lock the target.

Instantly the FCR changes range down to 40m, which breaks the target lock.

I then have to re-scale it back to 80m, re-acquire the target and it is fine.

What is causing the range to auto-scale to something that the target isn't even at??
Konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
WHOGX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfucius View Post
So I've seen this annoying thing for a while now. Not sure if it's a bug or something I'm doing wrong.

I'll see a target, lets say at 70m out and I'm in the 80m range on my FCR.

I lock the target.

Instantly the FCR changes range down to 40m, which breaks the target lock.

I then have to re-scale it back to 80m, re-acquire the target and it is fine.

What is causing the range to auto-scale to something that the target isn't even at??
It's a bug. When it'll be fixed, nobody knows...
-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:
  • MC-130E Combat Talon
  • F/A-18F Lot 26
  • HH-60G Pave Hawk
  • E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound
  • EA-6A/B Prowler
  • J-35F2/J Draken
  • RA-5C Vigilante
WHOGX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
stormridersp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOGX5 View Post
It's a bug. When it'll be fixed, nobody knows...
If ever.

Wishlist:
AH-64
F-15E
F-117A
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
NineLine
Community Manager

Can you create a short track? We are unable to reproduce the issue right now.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
SCPanda

Same thing happened to me several times as well. Only in TMS tho
SCPanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
gavagai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
It happens when you bug a target in RWS. Maybe the word "lock" is misleading. I'll try to make a track later.
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Tango3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post

As soon as I am home from work I'll do a quick PvP engagement where I'll use RWS-SAM to showcase what we believe to be the so-called "auto-scaling bug".
Tango3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
Tango3B

As promised here I have two short YOUTUBE clips showing the suspected "auto-scaling bug" in all its glory.

Sadly, my tracks did not work and actually did not show the problem at all. The tracks did not even show me loosing lock. Pretty wierd, huh?

Video 01
https://youtu.be/UeonTTYgKJA

Description:
Situation 1 is a target at more or less constant 6000ft coming from a front aspect. Radar range auto-scaling from 80nm scope to 40nm scope automatically happens at a target range of 35nm. Bugged target gets dropped when auto-scaling happens. Also, radar altitude coverage gets automatically changed when auto-sacling happens. Radar altitude coverage set by me during bugged target track was 42k feet upper limit / 01k feet lower limit. This gets automatically changed when auto-scaling happens to 34k feet upper limit / 11k feet lower limit. Thus, the radar is not able to find the previous target due to a suspected scan centering bug.

Video 02
https://youtu.be/8MemIiCsXwQ

Description:
Situation 2 is a target at 30000ft again coming from a front aspect. Radar range auto-scaling from 40nm scope to 20nm scope automatically happens at a target range of 12.7nm. Bugged target gets dropped when auto-scaling happens. Also, radar altitude coverage gets automatically changed when auto-sacling happens. Radar altitude coverage set by me during bugged target track was 30k feet upper limit / 15k feet lower limit. This gets automatically changed when auto-scaling happens to 27k feet upper limit / 16k feet lower limit. Radar is again not able to find the previous target due to a suspected scan centering bug.

I hope you guys at ED get an impression of this wierd stuff and I hope my contribution was helpful.
Tango3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:27 AM   #9
Frederf
Veteran

Quite a clear video. The displayed scope is changing at 35nm which is approximately 45% of 80nm (80x.45=36). I notice that there is a significant vertical separation in altitudes and I wonder if that's a factor. Does the same thing happen if you're co-altitude?

There should be no reason to lose a track during a change in FCR format display range because the radar operates at maximum range at all times. Changing from 80nm display to 40nm display is strictly a difference in presentation to the pilot visually. E.g. if you are in 5nm TWS and there are radar contacts out at 100nm they are getting detected and track files are being built exactly the same as when the displayed range is 160nm. If you change displayed range the radar would already have built those tracks just as if you were in that longer display range the whole time.

It's looking like the radar is treating a change of display range as a brand new world. Perhaps this is best seen in TWS without bug and just switching between two display ranges that do and do not include a contact. If the contact track isn't persisting between displayed and not displayed then that's what's happening I think.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Geraki

The radar must not lose the buged or hard lock contact , in any decrease or increase distance change, distance change could be occured via radar cursor too.
Geraki is offline   Reply With Quote