Communication Menu functionality confusion and gauge lights not showing

Sorry, not convinced by that. you can do the same things from the CM as with push-to-talk, e.g. flight comms, ATC, etc..

But it's true.

ED changed this a few years ago.

Comms menu is supposed to be intercom/shouting out the window/waving fingers, and PTT for the radios, hence using comms menu key actions doesn't result in any responses when you're in the air.

Now, you'd be right to say the current implementation is incomplete, and I'd argue it was likely a stopgap change until they redid ATC.

Obviously we're still waiting for the new ATC.

Ideally the coms menu wouldn't open, just be blank and have no actions, or just show the ground crew actions only, to remove confusion.

That might be a nice thing to add to the wishlist tbh.

But it's true.

ED changed this a few years ago.

Comms menu is supposed to be intercom/shouting out the window/waving fingers, and PTT for the radios, hence using comms menu key actions doesn't result in any responses when you're in the air.

Now, you'd be right to say the current implementation is incomplete, and I'd argue it was likely a stopgap change until they redid ATC.

Obviously we're still waiting for the new ATC.

Ideally the coms menu wouldn't open, just be blank and have no actions, or just show the ground crew actions only, to remove confusion.

That might be a nice thing to add to the wishlist tbh.

What I am saying is no matter what it should be, the CM has always been able to do the same things as PTT. Even now, sitting on the runway it still can.

Now, if it was restricted to ground crew when sitting on the ramp etc., then that makes a lot of sense.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What I am saying is no matter what it should be, the CM has always been able to do the same things as PTT. Even now, sitting on the runway it still can.

Now, if it was restricted to ground crew when sitting on the ramp etc., then that makes a lot of sense.

I've done a wishlist thing:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278106

Add your thoughts if you like

Looks good. All I would say, is that the CM already doesn't show in the air. Nothing at all when the key/bind is pressed.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Right! So, after looking at some answers here, I now realise this is a DCS-wide change in behaviour.

What happens is that with weight-on-wheels, the CM key/bindingworks OK, but the second the aircraft leaves the runway, it stops working. This is a recent change.

This is the same in other modules I have looked at, e.g. F-5E, Kurfurst, etc., so the Spit is not unique in this change.

No, the Spitfire has always been this way, as have all the other ED built propeller driven a/c and the Sabre and Mig-15. I'm not sure about helicopters but basically any aircraft that is not equipped with an interphone to speak with the ground crew seemed to have this setup.

Weird, mine shows.

What mods or programs do you use, if any? VAICOM Pro? VoiceAttack?

No mods or programs at all. If I make the CM show on the runway, a few seconds after I take off, the menu disappears! Nothing brings it back when in the air. Interesting.

I was told it “it has always been this way” https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=274078 if you aren’t using easy comms to get the menu back you have to select radio

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I was told it “it has always been this way” https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=274078 if you aren’t using easy comms to get the menu back you have to select radio

It was -0303- confirming that there as well as here.

I must admit - and I know I'll get flamed for this - but I didn't think it had always been like this. I'm sure I was able to bring up a functioning CM in the air in the past.

No me either... but I only recently transitioned to real COMMS so... age... faulty memory etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I've always been on real COMMS, but the age thing goes without saying!

No mods or programs at all. If I make the CM show on the runway, a few seconds after I take off, the menu disappears! Nothing brings it back when in the air. Interesting.

I just did this:

1. Instant mission: takeoff

2. Pressed "" to bring up the comms menu

3. Full power to take off

4. At about 15-40ft the comm menu dissapears

5. I press "RAlt +\ " to bring the comm menu up again

Between step 3 and 4 were 4 unsuccessful takeoffs :P

If you cannot replicate this, please check you control bindings. "COMM Push to Talk" is defaulted to "RAlt + ".

Edited by Bailey

I just did this:

1. Instant mission: takeoff

2. Pressed "" to bring up the comms menu

3. Full power to take off

4. At about 15-40ft the comm menu dissapears

5. I press "RAlt + " to bring the comm menu up again

Between step 3 and 4 were 4 unsuccessful takeoffs :P

If you cannot replicate this, please check you control bindings. "COMM Push to Talk" is defaulted to "RAlt + ".

Thanks, but I think you may be misunderstanding the issue. There isn't any problem with PTT bringing up the menu. It's the Communication Menu we are discussing that disappears after leaving the ground.

Thanks, but I think you may be misunderstanding the issue. There isn't any problem with PTT bringing up the menu. It's the Communication Menu we are discussing that disappears after leaving the ground.

Oooooh! So you are wondering why the comm menu disappears after leaving the ground? Wow, I am sorry. The title of the thread seems to be misleading to me. :doh:

Oooooh! So you are wondering why the comm menu disappears after leaving the ground? Wow, I am sorry. The title of the thread seems to be misleading to me. :doh:

I totally understand. If I could change the - now not relevant - thread title I would! Thanks for your contribution though.

EDIT: I've asked BN to change the thread title to avoid confusion!

Edited by imacken