clipped wings effect flight model?

Thanks mate, that did the trick. I'm going to create a bug thread anyway, but for all guys stumbling over this issue, ams' solution is a good one for now. The new folder for the controls must be named SpitfireLFMkIXCW.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

No roll trim - ailerons - on the Spit. Any tendency to fly "wing down" in level flight was corrected by a very rough but effective means : an aluminum or wooden hammer and a shaped wooden block where the trailing edge of the aileron was gently tapped up or down until the aircraft was in trim in level flight.

Spitfire with clipped wings seems to be slightly slower than Spitfire with standard wings.

I compared standard Spitfire with CW Spitfire during several flights and I was always faster with standard about 5-7km/h than CW.

All tests were at low altitude.

IMO CW should be faster, not too much but still faster.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

• 1 year later...

I found one Spitfire pilot answer on q. : How clipped wings affected flying qualities?

Rolling is faster with clipped wings and force required for ailerons decreased mainly at higher speeds.

The Spitfire controls are now more harmonious than before (plane with standard wings).

On the other hand, inducted drag increased perceptibly.

At lower AoA it is not obvious and, conversely, decreased overall drag is noticeable and plane splendidly (more easily) gains speed, e.g. during descent at higher speeds.

But an increase in AoA, especially during manoeuvre at higher speeds, results in significant increase inducted drag and plane loses energy rapidly (more rapidly than plane with standard wings). It is obvious mainly during transition to vertical manoeuvre and tight turns.

The Spitfire with clipped wings there loses (against plane with standard wings) mainly for our purpose – flying it on airshows.

But I admit that in combat, mainly at lower altitudes and during air to ground attacks, it (clipped wings) could have positive impact on flying qualities.

He thinks that the Spitfire with clipped wings is more aggressive not only in flying qualities but in appearance too.

The Spitfire with clipped wings looks like weapon more than the Spitfire with standard wings.

p.s. it is not any complain about DCS Spitfire, i just think that it is interesing because there are not many direct comparison between Spitfire with clipped and standard wings.

original, unfortunately only in czech, is here : https://www.eduard.online/rozhovor-s-pilotem-radimem-vojtou/

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Spitfire with clipped wings seems to be slightly slower than Spitfire with standard wings.

I compared standard Spitfire with CW Spitfire during several flights and I was always faster with standard about 5-7km/h than CW.

All tests were at low altitude.

IMO CW should be faster, not too much but still faster.

What i've read about CW is that it should be a bit faster at SL and roll faster at high alt top speed is about the same.

CW version could lost some meters from service ceiling

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Clipped wings just meant unbolting the wingtips, you could bolt high altitude extended ones back on iirc . There wasn't any thought of saving aluminium, there wasn't any particular shortage on the UK side ( certainly unlike Germany ). That whole "Saucepans for Spitfires" campaign in the BoB was a propaganda effort to let the general populace feel involved.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction