Is there a simple way to fly a TACAN (or waypoint?) Radial ?

lucky-hendrix

Hi,

Flying a lot the F/A18 these days, I came back to the M2000 for the moment.

On the M2000 I miss the function to have a function similar to the "CSEL" of the F-A18 (and in general of the American HSI).

The RD mode is still not functional it seems. This seems to be quite a basic navigation tool for any aircraft tough?

How are you supposed to fly tacan radial then, follow approach charts and align on runway headings ?

Hi,

Flying a lot the F/A18 these days, I came back to the M2000 for the moment.

On the M2000 I miss the function to have a function similar to the "CSEL" of the F-A18 (and in general of the American HSI).

The RD mode is still not functional it seems. This seems to be quite a basic navigation tool for any aircraft tough?

How are you supposed to fly tacan radial then, follow approach charts and align on runway headings ?

You can do a VAD (Vecteur ADditionel - Tacan offset) with the VAD, rho and theta position of your IDN (Indicateur De Navigation - navigation indicator ; not quite like a HSI as you have seen). It's just like an offset, you input azimut and range from the tacan and the IDN will fly you to it.

You can look it up in the manual I think.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Course deviation would be nice but nothing in Mirage does this for TACAN or VOR. RD will never be related to radio navigation. It's a function of the INS only.

Maintaining relative bearing for TACAN or VOR, you'll have to rely on your ADF techniques. FAA Instrument Flying Handbook Ch. 9, section 3 gives some techniques https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/FAA-H-8083-15B.pdf

Basically to fly a radial the heading is managed so the bearing to the station becomes and remains as desired. I don't know if a CDI is legally required equipment to fly an approach with VOR or TACAN. If not then Mirage would not be legally able to fly such an approach.