[REPORTED]ATC communicating QFE in inHg instead of mmHg

Stealth_HR

When contacting ATC for takeoff or landing permission, the ATC gives the QFE in inches of mercury, while the Yak-52's altimeter uses millimetres of mercury.

The bug is in

.\Sounds\Speech\speech.lua

since the list

aircraftNativeCountry

is missing a line:

['Yak-52']       = base.country.id.RUSSIA,

The fix can already be applied DIY, I've uploaded it to the files section, but it would be nice to have it officially fixed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

From what I can tell the ATC in DCS is supposed to give you info in whatever native units your aircraft uses. I don't think imperial units in your settings affect anything except your mission editor and the status bar in F2/F3/F4 views.

Also, setting your altimeter to zero on takeoff doesn't help if you've got an air-start or if you're not landing on your initial airport! If you set your altimeter to QFE, you can accurately use your baro-altimeter instead of a radar altimeter (very handy in a Yak-52 which doesn't have one!).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

The ATC is FUBAR in general. I get wind speed in m/s instead of knots even with imperial units selected in my settings. They should be giving QNH, not QFE, anyway. QFE doesn't even need ATC--just set altimeter to zero and done.

In Russia they (used to) give you QFE rather QNH and meters instead of feet:

http://www.fly-corporate.com/flying-russia-heres-what-you-need-know/

https://ops.group/blog/big-change-russia-finally-moving-to-qnh/

The ATC needs work but in this regard it's not a FUBAR.

From what I can tell the ATC in DCS is supposed to give you info in whatever native units your aircraft uses. I don't think imperial units in your settings affect anything except your mission editor and the status bar in F2/F3/F4 views.

Also, setting your altimeter to zero on takeoff doesn't help if you've got an air-start or if you're not landing on your initial airport! If you set your altimeter to QFE, you can accurately use your baro-altimeter instead of a radar altimeter (very handy in a Yak-52 which doesn't have one!).

QFE is given in all units on the briefing page, but it won't help you if you're landing somewhere else, and it won't help you with aircraft and terrain avoidance, transition altitude, semi-circular rule and so on, that's why QNH is used internationally (except in some countries, like Russia apparently until they finally moved to QNH in Feb 2017).

Unfortunately, QNH is never given by ATC so it's indeed to be considered broken right now, and it's only given in mmHg and inHg on the briefing page, not in standard units which are used by most aircraft. There were projects of upgrading ATC, but I have no idea what is actually planned right now, it's still noted "in progress" on the roadmap page but that's no guarantee.

EDIT: you can actually patch the briefing page (Scripts\UI\BriefingDialog.lua) line 507, to add correct international units, but if the Yak has mmHg, it's already there :)

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

In Russia they (used to) give you QFE rather QNH and meters instead of feet:

http://www.fly-corporate.com/flying-russia-heres-what-you-need-know/

https://ops.group/blog/big-change-russia-finally-moving-to-qnh/

The ATC needs work but in this regard it's not a FUBAR.

Russia isn't the only locale in which fly, nor are Russian aircraft the only ones we fly.

• 1 year later...
Hello BigNewy,

Good to see ED still answer in this section.

Could you plz make me an update on this one year old awaited patch plz ?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217365&page=2

Thx by advance,

Krapouk

I think that problem has nothing to do with this one, I'm confused?

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I think that problem has nothing to do with this one, I'm confused?

You're absolutely right, nothing to do with this problem that's right.

I'm just trying to have an answer and get the focus from ED, as they haven't answer me in the other post months ago.

Edited by krapouk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EASA CPL IRME/SE PBN - FI / FE - Yak-52 F-WRYJ owner

• ED Team
You're absolutely right, nothing to do with this problem that's right.

I'm just trying to have an answer and get the focus from ED, as they haven't answer me in the other post months ago.

Please dont derail this thread,

the other issue is reported, and it is a long standing issue we are aware. the team are planning work for the YAK-52 for this year, but with the covid situation timelines have shifted a little. When we have news to share we will.

Regarding this thread, I have tested a fix and it will be in the next patch

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2