ATC communicating QFE in inHg instead of mmHg - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
Stealth_HR

Default ATC communicating QFE in inHg instead of mmHg

When contacting ATC for takeoff or landing permission, the ATC gives the QFE in inches of mercury, while the Yak-52's altimeter uses millimetres of mercury.

The bug is in
Code:
.\Sounds\Speech\speech.lua
since the list
Code:
aircraftNativeCountry
is missing a line:
Code:
['Yak-52']       = base.country.id.RUSSIA,
The fix can already be applied DIY, I've uploaded it to the files section, but it would be nice to have it officially fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewber19 View Post
Real men fly ground attack where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you
Stealth_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Nealius

The ATC is FUBAR in general. I get wind speed in m/s instead of knots even with imperial units selected in my settings. They should be giving QNH, not QFE, anyway. QFE doesn't even need ATC--just set altimeter to zero and done.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Stealth_HR

From what I can tell the ATC in DCS is supposed to give you info in whatever native units your aircraft uses. I don't think imperial units in your settings affect anything except your mission editor and the status bar in F2/F3/F4 views.

Also, setting your altimeter to zero on takeoff doesn't help if you've got an air-start or if you're not landing on your initial airport! If you set your altimeter to QFE, you can accurately use your baro-altimeter instead of a radar altimeter (very handy in a Yak-52 which doesn't have one!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewber19 View Post
Real men fly ground attack where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you
Stealth_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
lmp
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
The ATC is FUBAR in general. I get wind speed in m/s instead of knots even with imperial units selected in my settings. They should be giving QNH, not QFE, anyway. QFE doesn't even need ATC--just set altimeter to zero and done.
In Russia they (used to) give you QFE rather QNH and meters instead of feet:

http://www.fly-corporate.com/flying-...you-need-know/
https://ops.group/blog/big-change-ru...moving-to-qnh/

The ATC needs work but in this regard it's not a FUBAR.
lmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Redglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_HR View Post
From what I can tell the ATC in DCS is supposed to give you info in whatever native units your aircraft uses. I don't think imperial units in your settings affect anything except your mission editor and the status bar in F2/F3/F4 views.

Also, setting your altimeter to zero on takeoff doesn't help if you've got an air-start or if you're not landing on your initial airport! If you set your altimeter to QFE, you can accurately use your baro-altimeter instead of a radar altimeter (very handy in a Yak-52 which doesn't have one!).
QFE is given in all units on the briefing page, but it won't help you if you're landing somewhere else, and it won't help you with aircraft and terrain avoidance, transition altitude, semi-circular rule and so on, that's why QNH is used internationally (except in some countries, like Russia apparently until they finally moved to QNH in Feb 2017).

Unfortunately, QNH is never given by ATC so it's indeed to be considered broken right now, and it's only given in mmHg and inHg on the briefing page, not in standard units which are used by most aircraft. There were projects of upgrading ATC, but I have no idea what is actually planned right now, it's still noted "in progress" on the roadmap page but that's no guarantee.

EDIT: you can actually patch the briefing page (Scripts\UI\BriefingDialog.lua) line 507, to add correct international units, but if the Yak has mmHg, it's already there

Last edited by Redglyph; 10-21-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Redglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Nealius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp View Post
In Russia they (used to) give you QFE rather QNH and meters instead of feet:

http://www.fly-corporate.com/flying-...you-need-know/
https://ops.group/blog/big-change-ru...moving-to-qnh/

The ATC needs work but in this regard it's not a FUBAR.
Russia isn't the only locale in which fly, nor are Russian aircraft the only ones we fly.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altimeter, atc, comms, qfe, yak-52