Forum sign in times out too quickly

scotth6

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is an option to change this somewhere, but I keep typing out detailed answers to posts, only to have all of the text disappear and a box pop up when I hit "post reply".

The box says something like you are not logged in, ie my session has timed out, even though I have been logged in for around ten minutes or less.

This has happened several times now, and it's frustrating to have a large post just disappear.

Cheers,

Scott

I feel your pain. Now, if I know my post is going to be more than a few sentences, I select all of it and copy it to my clipboard before clicking the "Post Quick Reply" button. That way, if it times out while I was typing, I can just log back in, paste it back in the post box and post it. It still sucks, but it's better than losing your whole post.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I will try all of these suggestions. I think I have tried to log back in but the post was gone. I have done what you mentioned in the past dabomb, just sometimes I forget to do it. Just earlier today it happend to me, I wrote a very detailed reply and hit post, and as I was hitting the button I just thought "oh no!", it's going to happen again.

I probably haven't used the remember me checkbox, I usually don't on any many websites. I will try that out too

I will copy this reply now, just in case :)

edit:

It happened again. I tried what you said JimTM, and it did work after all.

Thanks again for the responses.

Cheers,

Edited by scotth6

I've had the problem a few times on mobile devices where I don't like to use the "Remember me" function.

Then I decided I'd rather risk some family member or friend writing a nasty post in my name (though I have absolutely no idea why they would do it, even if they could) rather than having to re-type messages all the time.

I agree that basically the timeout (or the maximum session length) is way too short. It should be at least an hour, more like two. When I type a post that long, I always keep a copy in a text file anyway, also to protect against power failure, computer crashes and so on.

(And yes, I have written posts that took me two hours to write... :D)