Radar mode similar to AACQ in Hornet

lester

Hi,

Does anyone know if Viper's radar has mode similar to Automatic Acquisition Mode (AACQ) of Hornet?

Thanks

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

Probably ACM 30x20. It searches a 30 degree (lateral) by 20 degree (vertical) region relative to the airplane datum.

Thanks for the reply. I think these two modes are not equivalent though:

From F-18C EA Guide:

Automatic Acquisition Mode (AACQ) is selected from the BVR RADAR modes, like RWS. It is not selected from the ACM modes. When in a BVR RADAR mode and the TDC cursor is not over a target symbol, the RADAR will attempt to auto lock the nearest target in its search pattern when the Sensor Control switch is moved right. AACQ searches for targets out to range setting of the RADAR.

From F-16C EA Guide:

The 30° x 20° HUD scan pattern searches an area slightly larger than the HUD field of view. The lock range is 10 nautical miles. The radar automatically locks on to the first target in this zone. When locked, the target is automatically tracked in STT mode.

Also iirc in AACQ mode radar selects target based on trackfile, see this thread.

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

Ah, sorry as I'm not so familiar with the Hornet. I thought AACQ was a close in visual radar mode (WACQ?).

I would say the most analogous command in the F-16 is pressing TMS right to step between tracks while in CRM-TWS (or SAM with multiple tracks). This will step the bug through all the available tracks on the display without requiring explicit movement of the cursor to each.

TWS however will "bug" but it won't automatically set STT. If the pilot wanted STT then he would have to press TMS forward again when the bug was on his desired track.

• ED Team
I think the avionics of the viper look quite a bit worse than the F18 ones.

Is it also missing the long range boresight acquisition?

There are four ACM modes for the Viper, bore, vertical (60), HUD, and slew. There is no separate long range bore. Right now we have bore, 60, and HUD.

Thanks

The Dogfight switch has three positions that are Dogfight, MRM (medium range missile mode) and NAV/AG. Leaving out NAV/AG mode (center position) you have two A2A master modes that configure the jet for either BVR or WVR. MRM is the BVR master mode. When you slide the DF switch to this mode the jet brings up 120's and puts the radar into RWS mode. Once in MRM the rmissile is slaved to the radar and is looking wherever your radar cursor is in conjunction with the altitude you are searching. Once locked the target parameters are fed to the missile. You can however MAD DOG the missile without a lock and the missile will try to find a target on its own.

When you slide the switch to Dog Fight master mode, the jet configures you for a WVR engagement out to 10 miles. It will automatically call up the AIM9's if you have them and within I think 1 mile your EEGS funnel will come up on the HUD. In this mode, the Viper will automatically lock up the first thing it sees in front of you. This mode is the closest thing to AAQ in the Hornet. However, there are 4'submodes to the Dogfight master mode: 1. 30/20 which is anything you can see within the HUD. 2. BORE which is like 30/20 but with a narrower/more focused radar scan along the line of the cross in the HUD. 3. 10/60 which scans 10 degrees below the nose and 60 degrees above the nose or LIFT LINE. 4. SLEW which presents a circle on the HUD that represents where the radar is looking. This allows you to move the focused radar beam to a target in the HUD without having to move the jet. All of these modes in Dogfight Master Mode are auto acquire, meaning the radar will hard lock the first thing it sees. Inside 10 miles use Dogfight, outside 10 miles MRM.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Wicked the only way to lock a target beyond 10 miles in by radar locking (STT). If you wan't to get your opponent to defensive mode you'll have to shoot beyond 10 miles.

Yes, i found the LHCQ mode in the 18 optimal when you know where the enemy is but he's at more than 10 miles, like over the enemy airport or wihin a mountain vale.

Also AACQ is great when you pass a mountain peak and you might find a target very close and you don't have time to move the TDC

If the target is beyond 10 miles you would just use standard A-A mode and lock him up on the radar, correct?

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

Yes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Wicked the only way to lock a target beyond 10 miles in by radar locking (STT). If you wan't to get your opponent to defensive mode you'll have to shoot beyond 10 miles.

Agreed, that's why you normally fly in MRM mode. Dogfight is for Within Visual Range. It's always better to get them much farther away. I was explaining the modes the Viper has that are similar to the 18's AACQ not discussing ACM tactics :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are four ACM modes for the Viper, bore, vertical (60), HUD, and slew. There is no separate long range bore. Right now we have bore, 60, and HUD.

Thanks

BORE

30x20

10x60

SLEW

But arguably one of the most important is the 5th mode: 30x20 Standby. This is the mode that ACM initializes in and is the same as 30x20 (HUD) but doesn't radiate. All modes when TMS aft is pressed go to 30x20 standby. And the only way to get to 10x60 is from 30x20 standby by TMS aft.

ACM radar will definitely be more satisfying with this submode included.

BORE

30x20

10x60

SLEW

But arguably one of the most important is the 5th mode: 30x20 Standby. This is the mode that ACM initializes in and is the same as 30x20 (HUD) but doesn't radiate. All modes when TMS aft is pressed go to 30x20 standby. And the only way to get to 10x60 is from 30x20 standby by TMS aft.

ACM radar will definitely be more satisfying with this submode included.

That's interesting. How to you initiate a scan in 30x20 standby? I assume you can HUD scan on command if desired? Or do you have to select one of the other submodes (i.e. HUD scan, Bore, etc..) to initiate the scan?

Is this possibly why I always loose lock when I switch from A-A to DGFT? Because the FCR stopped radiating in this standby mode?

You would initiate a scan by picking a radiating mode by TMS forward, right, or aft or slewing. 30x20 non-radiating is a mode that it exists and it's what you start out in when you switch to ACM (unless you have a prior track). The rest of it gets a little fuzzy. What I'm used to is TMS aft from any mode except 30x20 non-radiating (which would change to 10x60) selects 30x20 non-radiating.

Manuals are not being consistent and I'm confused. One part says "enter directly" but another part says TMS aft goes to 30x20 non-radiating except when already in and then 10x60. It might depend if in radiating with no target or radiating with target. Or it might be while TMS aft is being held down.

One feature described is if you pick same pattern again then it'll lock the next target other than was previously locked. That raises the question how TMS aft could select 30x20 non-radiating and also allow this "target stepping" feature of picking the same pattern twice. One possible situation is that it remembers the previous target through selecting TMS once for non-radiating and continues to remember it when TMS is pressed a second time to re select 10x60.

I wonder if watching some dogfight HUD tapes could make more clear which way it is.