Upgrading my HOTAS to the Warthog?

My first, and primary, aircraft is the A-10C. I'm still in early days of learning both simming in general, and this bird specifically; only been doing this for 4-5 months. My current HOTAS is a CH Fighterstick Pro, Thrustmaster TWCS throttle, and a set of racing pedals pushed into rudder duty (works well enough for now).

I'm seriously considering upgrading to a warthog setup, especially since not having proper coolie switch bugs the hell out of me (I use the 8+way thumb hat in its place).

I pre-ordered the F-16 which is why I'm here on the viper forum. How is the Warthog going to treat me with other aircraft, and particularly the F-16? If it helps with advice, I also own the AV-8B, but haven't started flying that yet.

Thanks

On the plus side - the Viper side-stick is exactly the same as the Warthog stick - so your GTG there, no problems with 1:1 button mapping for the stick at least.

You actually get an additional CMS push option for the Viper to map as you wish.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first, and primary, aircraft is the A-10C. I'm still in early days of learning both simming in general, and this bird specifically; only been doing this for 4-5 months. My current HOTAS is a CH Fighterstick Pro, Thrustmaster TWCS throttle, and a set of racing pedals pushed into rudder duty (works well enough for now).

I'm seriously considering upgrading to a warthog setup, especially since not having proper coolie switch bugs the hell out of me (I use the 8+way thumb hat in its place).

I pre-ordered the F-16 which is why I'm here on the viper forum. How is the Warthog going to treat me with other aircraft, and particularly the F-16? If it helps with advice, I also own the AV-8B, but haven't started flying that yet.

Thanks

You are not going to get any better going fron the TWCS to the WH throttle, i warn you. The index nipple use for TDC is so much worse than the TWCS one.

I am running a TWCS throttle and WH joystick combo because of that. I also love the ergonomics of the TWCS.

I can share my profile for the A10C, works great for me.

@falcon_120

That would be great if you could share yours... At least I'd have something to compare my current one to. Do you think it's super necessary to have the two stage trigger and CMS center push button of the WH stick? I'm fine with the 'motion' of the FighterStick, so I wonder if it's worth it to just upgrade that?

I also do electronics (and was part way through my EE degree before switching back to IT), if I can do the slew upgrade lots of ppl talk about (and YouTube), would that change your opinion? And you think the TWCS will also be better for the Viper?

@Sokol1_br

The coolie is a 4-way switch on the throttle, operated by your index finger, that selects the SOI (sensor of interest) -- which MFCD (left or right), or HUD is currently selected.

Using an 8-way hat in place of a 4-way switch is definitely not ideal... I've programed the 4 diagonals to duplicate the NSEW they are next to (ie. NW is also N, NE is also E, etc.), But it only partially helps. Plus it's in a different plane than the screens (and the real thing), which seems to make a bigger deal to me than you'd think.

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter would be definitely worth a look, albeit perhaps not overly attractive for a newly purchased device.

I've had my WH for around 3 years now and this mod has given the throttle's slew control a totally new lease of life.

That's gospel brother.

Don't be afraid to try TARGET Script Editor. It beats the hell out of the GUI and there's so much more you can do with the Stick and Throttle.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

@falcon_120

That would be great if you could share yours... At least I'd have something to compare my current one to. Do you think it's super necessary to have the two stage trigger and CMS center push button of the WH stick? I'm fine with the 'motion' of the FighterStick, so I wonder if it's worth it to just upgrade that?

I also do electronics (and was part way through my EE degree before switching back to IT), if I can do the slew upgrade lots of ppl talk about (and YouTube), would that change your opinion? And you think the TWCS will also be better for the Viper?

@Sokol1_br

The coolie is a 4-way switch on the throttle, operated by your index finger, that selects the SOI (sensor of interest) -- which MFCD (left or right), or HUD is currently selected.

Using an 8-way hat in place of a 4-way switch is definitely not ideal... I've programed the 4 diagonals to duplicate the NSEW they are next to (ie. NW is also N, NE is also E, etc.), But it only partially helps. Plus it's in a different plane than the screens (and the real thing), which seems to make a bigger deal to me than you'd think.

Hey hololight,

I will when im back at home later tonight.

Regarding your questions:

-The 2 stage trigger is great if you fly the A10 mostly, but its not a game changer, i used to have the 1st stage assigned to a different botton and also worked. The CMS push is assigned to the jammer on but when it was not there it was assigned to the cms-up(+mode) and it was totally ok.

In general the WH is great but if your fighterstick works fine it wont make you better. Mine was starting to jitter a lot so it was a need. Bear in mind that the WH is so much stiffer that I think it works slightly worse for AAR and formation flying, but im getting used to it.

I never had a problem with the 8 hat switch on the TWCS, diagonals positions have no function, besides i think ive never hit the wrong direction. Also check the throttle software cause i think you can disable the 8-hat making it behave like a 4 hat.

My opinion would definetely change after a slew mod on the WH.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Do you have any friends or relatives who have the Warthog? I suggest you try it before you buy it then make your decision from that.

I bought the Warthog because I'm a nerd and have some money to burn not because I need it to be honest. Its not perfect and for some people its not worth the money. For me, after add an extention and make DIY for the mounting it became my primary hotas. (I have CH Product and X-52).

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I just upgraded from an X-56 stick to the Warthog this past week because of scoring a good deal on Ebay, and it is night and day better. I fly mostly the Hornet now so I am not totally sold on getting the WH throttle, have actually been eyeing the TWCS to swap out the X-56.

System: IBP Snowblind, i7-9700k, Zotac RTX2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 , Samsung 970 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe, WD 1TB, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T.Flight Pedals, TM MFD's, Buddyfox A10C UFC

Modules/Maps: F/A-18C, A10C, UH-1H, F-15, F5, P51, F14, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

@Chappy500

So you're the one who outbid me... Lol, jk. I think the quality of the TWCS is great. Reviews have praised the slew control, and I have to agree... Hoping I don't end up wanting to murder someone when I switch to the Warthog (which I ended up picking up on eBay also), before I can do the slew mod. The only 'issue', and it's mentioned in some reviews, is that the slide can be a bit 'grippy'. I used the adjustment screw and loosened it way up, but at some point I may have to open it up to add some sort of greese/lube (YouTube videos about that as well), but it's not bad. For you as a Hornet driver, it could almost be perfect since it is designed after that bird's throttle (minus dual handles of course). I actually didn't realize it until after I already had it and was researching something else online. I use the rudder toggle axis mapped to two buttons (flaps) with Joystick Gremlin, works pretty well.

@falcon_120

Thanks for the profiles, I'm going to give them a look later today. I really appreciate it. As I said above, I did end up getting the Warthog, but it was a decent deal and I can always sell it down the road. At least now I can directly compare.

@Chappy500

...The only 'issue', and it's mentioned in some reviews, is that the slide can be a bit 'grippy'. I used the adjustment screw and loosened it way up, but at some point I may have to open it up to add some sort of greese/lube (YouTube videos about that as well), but it's not bad.

I would highly recommend opening it up and applying some Nyogel 767A to the two slide rails - difference is night and day regarding that 'grippy' issue you mentioned. There is no slop or gripping with small adjustments anymore. Over full-range movements it can feel a bit uneven and draggy obviously due to the gel - but it really helps where it counts.

I picked up a 10 gram tube from oveready.com which is more than enough for the job and very cheap.

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/nyogel-767aa-damping-grease-10g-tube/

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]