Update to Chuck's Mirage 2000C Guide

Charly_Owl

Also:

Page 68:

MUDSPIKE - I think, no such thing exist. I believe it's either SPIKE (A-A) or MUD (A-G). Correct me if I am wrong. But...there is a Podcast with an (ex) A-10C pilot by Dojo from 476th and I recall he explained it there.

EDIT:

By the way, if you check one of the brevity docs like this one https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf (which may be out of date) the term is explained:

There is no MUDSPIKE mentioned in the document.

SPIKE/SPIKED

(direction)

RWR indication of an AI threat in track or

launch.

(AI threat? "Air threat"?)

Just by reading the FM1-02-1, I would interprete "MUD" as "ground based threat" and SPIKE as "there is a threat that is airborne".

So, I'd say, yes, there is no "MUDSPIKE", but there might be "MUD! SPIKE!" for "that ground based threat just fired some missle!"

@Hamilton, anytime :-)

Another thing:

VOR navigation, p. 109, point 3

Set the HSI...mode to VAD

I believe the second needle always points to VOR beacon, except TEL mode. Where it points to interception course (not implemented) . See the original manual p. 106 . So, no need to switch to VAD mode. VAD mode is for offset (bearing/range) from TACAN station navigation, see p. 107.

Cheers

Edited by Skitter

So, I'd say, yes, there is no "MUDSPIKE", but there might be "MUD! SPIKE!" for "that ground based threat just fired some missle!"

I believe the brevity for a Ground 2 Air missile being fired is SAM:

SAM (direction) Visual acquisition of a SAM in flight or a SAM

launch, should include position.

p. 43, https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf

I am not a real pilot of course.

Edited by Skitter

The interview I mentioned is the Episode 12 of the Dojo's podcast

Here: http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php?303-476th-Podcast-Episode-12

The part about RWR threats and brevity, starts 2h 34m 36s

How I understand what he says:

NAILS - Possibly A-A, search mode

DIRT - you believe it's a ground threat, search mode

SPIKE - A-A in track mode

MUD - A-G in tracking mode

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have any of this changes/updates been made in the guide? I just bought the Mirage and its quite outdated and its making me learn slow.

Thanks a lot

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Hey guys - and Chuck sorry for hijacking the thread a little, but I think this could be done for everyone's profit:

Could you guys list the things that you think are missing / wrong / should be better explained in the training missions? Once I get back from holidays I could start working on filling the gaps, possibly in cooperation with Chuck if he is OK with that. What do you think?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 4 months later...

Planning to work on the update during the holidays. So far, the major things to update are:

1) Weapon Procedures

2) HUD update

3) VTB update

4) Navigation system tutorial

5) Typos

If you guys spot anything else, please let me know.

Could you guys list the things that you think are missing / wrong / should be better explained in the training missions? Once I get back from holidays I could start working on filling the gaps, possibly in cooperation with Chuck if he is OK with that. What do you think?

Sure.

I just bought the Mirage and its quite outdated and its making me learn slow.

Err... No, it isn't.

Edited by Charly_Owl

Wow!! Thanks a lot Chuck !! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Happy Holidays Chuck. Thank you for your guides. I find them essential.

The updated Mirage will be well received and we'll read!

Best regards.

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Happy Holidays Chuck. Thank you for your guides. I find them essential.

The updated Mirage will be well received and we'll read!

Best regards.

David

Whithout Chuck's guide, I'd still be doing a walk around in F2 admiring but not flying this bird. :)

Thanks is not enough Chuck - but a big thanks just the same! :thumbup:

Cats . . . .

Planning to work on the update during the holidays. So far, the major things to update are:

1) Weapon Procedures

2) HUD update

3) VTB update

4) Navigation system tutorial

5) Typos

If you guys spot anything else, please let me know.

Sure.

Err... No, it isn't.

email sent!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png