Sergeiev

Reputation power: 4
Sergeiev is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with you asla36.
Sergeiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #202
Stratos

Reputation power: 23
Stratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really niceStratos is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asla36 View Post
If we were to get the MiG-19p and s, any possibility of an additional MiG-19pm in an even farther future? I know I'm just asking and asking for moar, MOAR MiG-19!

I wouldn't imagine that making 3 variants would be too difficult. Maybe as difficult as adding the radar variant of the AV-8B? The avionics of that time would be much simpler, but I'm probably asking fot too much.

Anyways 2 variants will be more than enough for me, and if we were to get 2, I would prefer the option you have chosen. The MiG-19s would offer a lighter missile-less aircraft for dogfighting, and the MiG-19p would offer a bit heavier all weather interceptor for sneaking and IR-ing in the mountains. And if we were to only get one, i would prefer the MiG-19p for it's bigger array of ordinance and all-weather capabilities.

So in short, I like the way you decided to do things. Thanks for bringing such an awesome bird to life in DCS!
AFAIK no one confirmed the "S" variant.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #203
Buzzles

Reputation power: 12
Buzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
AFAIK no one confirmed the "S" variant.
Correct.

They're doing a P.

They might do a S as well. Personally, considering the time taken to bring a module to DCS and the issues with teams trying to bring more than one variant in at once, I'm just going to assume they're doing the P and only the P.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #204
AlQaholic

Reputation power: 0
AlQaholic is on a distinguished road

So glad this forgotten jet is being made. No one ever really talks about it since it's the transition between two iconic soviet fighters: the MiG-15 and 21. F-5s will have a tough time turnfighting this thing once it gets released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asla36 View Post
If we were to get the MiG-19p and s, any possibility of an additional MiG-19pm in an even farther future? I know I'm just asking and asking for moar, MOAR MiG-19!

I wouldn't imagine that making 3 variants would be too difficult. Maybe as difficult as adding the radar variant of the AV-8B? The avionics of that time would be much simpler, but I'm probably asking fot too much.

Anyways 2 variants will be more than enough for me, and if we were to get 2, I would prefer the option you have chosen. The MiG-19s would offer a lighter missile-less aircraft for dogfighting, and the MiG-19p would offer a bit heavier all weather interceptor for sneaking and IR-ing in the mountains. And if we were to only get one, i would prefer the MiG-19p for it's bigger array of ordinance and all-weather capabilities.

So in short, I like the way you decided to do things. Thanks for bringing such an awesome bird to life in DCS!
Definitely would like to have more variants if it isn't too much to ask. You know what they say, the more the merrier!

Found some cool photos and thought I'd share them here :

Spoiler:
MiG-19 aerial refueling through the wingtip.

MiG-19 SM-12 prototype (it's not a MiG-21). Almost like the 19 and 21 had a baby.

Here's a link if you want to read more about it

http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/mig_sm-12.php

Last edited by AlQaholic; 06-18-2017 at 09:21 PM.
AlQaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #205
asla36

Reputation power: 1
asla36 is on a distinguished road

The best action in all circumstances: set your hopes as low as possible, so that you will be even more pleasantly surprised, or disappointed less, at what comes out in the end.

Though keeping expectations low with your amazing work really is hard, I will try and be even more blown away with the result!

This is just nit-picking, but note that i said: "If we were to get the MiG-19p and s," not, "when we get the MiG-19p and s." Like I said, just nit-picking. Sorry if I sounded too sure of that, time will tell if we get one or two of these awesome birds.

Those definitely are cool photos, thanks for sharing, ALQaholic!

Make it happen, and take my money!
asla36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #206
OverStratos
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 4
OverStratos is a jewel in the roughOverStratos is a jewel in the roughOverStratos is a jewel in the roughOverStratos is a jewel in the roughOverStratos is a jewel in the roughOverStratos is a jewel in the rough

Up to now, only MiG-19P.

Regarding the S I was thinking that it would be cool to have the best performing (and known) variant and a very powerful gunfighter, but those are only my thoughts. We have to see the possibility once the P is finished.

I know that many of you like the PM, but you need to understand that with that variant you will be restricted to only 4 underperforming missiles. No AG, no guns, it´s a very limited aircraft.
OverStratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #207
AlQaholic

Reputation power: 0
AlQaholic is on a distinguished road

If we get another variant in addition to the MiG-19P, it should be the MiG-19SF since it is the same plane as the MiG-19S but with a better engine. According to this article (http://www.airvectors.net/avmig15_3.html) the MiG-19SF had 10% more dry thrust than the S version and a better afterburner system. Also the MiG-19PM is more of a gimmick plane than anything else.

Last edited by AlQaholic; 06-20-2017 at 12:30 AM.
AlQaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #208
probad

Reputation power: 5
probad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the rough

it makes a certain awful kind of sense because we get the souped up versions for every other aircraft in dcs, but the 19sf is not the 19s and j-6 involved in combat action.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #209
asla36

asla36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStratos View Post
Up to now, only MiG-19P.

Regarding the S I was thinking that it would be cool to have the best performing (and known) variant and a very powerful gunfighter, but those are only my thoughts. We have to see the possibility once the P is finished.

I know that many of you like the PM, but you need to understand that with that variant you will be restricted to only 4 underperforming missiles. No AG, no guns, it´s a very limited aircraft.
Ok, good to have it cleared up!

So we are getting the most desirable variant, at least for me, of an awesome aircraft. With the very small added possibility of getting a, better in BFM but less well rounded, variant as a bonus in the future. Sounds great to me!

Make it happen, and take my money!
asla36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #210
Koty

Koty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStratos View Post
No AG
Actually, it could use its missiles in AG mode, a fun fact that little know. Not that it would be any accurate, but it worked.

System wise, it shouldn't be that different from P either.

But hey, it's a lot of work either way, I understand that ^^ keep up the good work, you guys are doing a really good job bringing this bird to life.
Koty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mig-19, razbam