Using MiG 21 for SEAD

slundal

The MiG 21 is by far my most favorite aircraft both IRL and in DCS.

I like to try out crazy shit with it. Like using it for SEAD despite the fact the it is absolutely not designed for it. :joystick:

As you can see in the video below I was (after many tries) able to take out a IR SAM vehicle with a Kh-66 GROM beam riding missile. I'm curious what you guys think? Would this be practical to use in an online mission?

Has anyone else tried to push this aircraft beyond what it was designed for? I'm looking for suggestions on what to try out next. :music_whistling:

I start shooting and stuff about 3 min into the video.

Was sweetfx or HDR used in this video?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Attacking strela with groms is waste of ammunition.

Try a tor or even a hawk system.

What I do against targets that I cannot get close enough is,1) do all the proper steps to set up for the groms 2) then eyes on target and distance measures from target area,3) disengage radar, Pipper full scale and now u aim with the pipper dot,4) take altitude and fire missiles at 12km range and aling with target,5) engage radar stay on target 2-3 secs close radar and brake away.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

You can do SEAD, with rockets or guns, with two or more mig21s.... just coordination, when it locked one mig, just break away and let the other, attacking from the other side do the approach... its very funny.

That's how we bait-and-kill mobile battlefield SAM units like Avengers, with the Su-25 as well :)

One frogfoot swoops low enough to goad him into firing and revealing his position, but not so low that you can't pull back up out of range before getting pasted by the SAM, and then someone else locks him up with laser guided munitions, and take him out.

It's a tactic that works well against AI; would never work against someone intelligent enough to hold their fire until the frogfoot got too close to get away again after the launch.

Edited by Vedexent

• 1 year later...

Believe it or not I sunk the uss normandy and got a gun kill on an F-14 in the same sortie. I used groms and s24s to get the Normandy and my ai partner helped with the tomcat. Pretty recently cratered a hawk site with only s24s, running in at over Mach 1 at about 10m off the ground, it's fun. Hit a and desires run tactics work the best.

In order to successfully "play" DCS, you need:

1. A Supercomputer

2. The budget of the US department of defense