My most expensive module by far... feeling bad.. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Koriel

Default My most expensive module by far... feeling bad..

Order 30182, $49,99
Order 54765, $19,99
Order 200382, $11,99

I hated having to install the stand alone blackshark to upgrade to V2, so bought a standalone V2. I know that recently the licenses were combined. I tried gifting one of my licenses but ED said “no”...

So $82 already spend on the Blackshark and now having to pay for another upgrade?

This feels excessive. Especially when you compare it to for example the Hornet. The latter giving you much more value for money systems wise and such.
Koriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
rrohde
Veteran

You don't have to pay at all - the graphics update is free as stated in the newsletter.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Koriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
You don't have to pay at all - the graphics update is free as stated in the newsletter.
But you have to if you want the full functionality.
Koriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
razo+r
Veteran

But not the avionics update.
razo+r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
rrohde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koriel View Post
But you have to if you want the full functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
But not the avionics update.
Right, it's a different variant in the end if you want those functionality upgrades.

So you either stick with the current variant we already have and get 2019 graphics model updates for free - which is already fantastic, or, you purchase the new variant that "[...]consist of new functions such as Igla air-to-air missiles and missile warning systems with infrared missile jamming systems[...]"

All good in my book.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
grafspee

all good by my book too
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
Wags
ED Team

Quote:
Order 30182, $49,99
Order 54765, $19,99
Order 200382, $11,99

I hated having to install the stand alone blackshark to upgrade to V2, so bought a standalone V2. I know that recently the licenses were combined. I tried gifting one of my licenses but ED said “no”...

So $82 already spend on the Blackshark and now having to pay for another upgrade?

This feels excessive. Especially when you compare it to for example the Hornet. The latter giving you much more value for money systems wise and such.
I'm sorry you feel that way. To update the Ka-50 (one of our earliest DCS modules) takes a lot of time, money, and opportunity lost from other projects. We do realize though that the Ka-50 needs a lot of love to bring up up to par with our more recent modules. As with any module though, we need to find a means for it to pay for itself, so we simply cannot give away the entire update for free. We have staff to pay and lights to keep on.

As a compromise, we are giving away the all new and greatly improved external model and cockpit for free to all Ka-50 users. However, if you want to have the additional functions, I'm sorry, but we need some compensation for the work.

I hope you understand.

Thanks
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. To update the Ka-50 (one of our earliest DCS modules) takes a lot of time, money, and opportunity lost from other projects. We do realize though that the Ka-50 needs a lot of love to bring up up to par with our more recent modules. As with any module though, we need to find a means for it to pay for itself, so we simply cannot give away the entire update for free. We have staff to pay and lights to keep on.

As a compromise, we are giving away the all new and greatly improved external model and cockpit for free to all Ka-50 users. However, if you want to have the additional functions, I'm sorry, but we need some compensation for the work.

I hope you understand.

Thanks

and who already owns the module have to pay the same full price as who don't?
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Order 30182, $49,99
Order 54765, $19,99
Order 200382, $11,99

I can't add much more beyond what Wags said, except for the fact that the Ka-50 has been out a long time, and we continue to support it, and as shown, are now once again upgrading it. After this, you will continue to enjoy it for even longer, so your Return on investment in general with ED products is quite high, even if you don't buy into the new systems.

Also if you still have an extra Black Shark 2 license, please PM me and I will look into why you cant gift it.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**

Last edited by NineLine; 05-31-2019 at 03:47 PM.
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
umkhunto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

I hope you understand.

Thanks
Personally, I felt much the same as the OP, when initially it was suggested that the update to the cockpit and external model was going to be a paid upgrade. I voiced my concern and displeasure in some other threads.

However I also pointed out if there were to be an expansion in the avionics and/or capabilities of the platform, I would be more willing to pay for the expanded version. In this case I'm very happy that you guys are providing the visual overhauls and bug fixes free to current Ka-50 owners, but also provide a paid upgrade to the module for additional capability. I can't wait to put the money down now for the expanded Ka-50.

Thanks ED.
umkhunto is offline   Reply With Quote