Activations & Hardware Upgrades

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade (replace) my motherboard, CPU and video cards. I'm retaining the rest of my hardware as is and don't intend to wipe/ clean install my SSD/HDD.

I was just wondering whether I need to deactivate each of my modules before I do this, to prevent losing activations for my modules, or doesn't it matter with only a partial hardware change?

I there likely to be any other DCS related issues with this upgrade?

Thanks.

Hi

I would certainly recommend deactivating all your modules first, then do your hardware upgrade mate.

I did my cpu/mobo/ram thing just recently, never deactivated and the sim gave me invalid key messages, refused to let me deactivate and reactivate through the normal procedures. Was basically stuck.

After doing some searching on this forum there was a small registry edit file posted by one of the mods that cleared out all the DCS lines in the registry, and allowed me to activate again. Cost me activations though.

I will have a look for it. Its only necessary if I reckon if you dont deactivate first.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Yes, do deactivate before you replace your hardware. Changing motherboard/cpu will be enough hardware change to request new activation, so better deactivate then after you have new stuff running, install and activate again.

No longer active in DCS...

Found it Phantom

This helped me when the activation thing went tits up. See last post by mod.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98679&highlight=registry

If you deactivate you should not have issue though.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

After a long-ish pause, I recently updated DCS:World with A-10C and BS2 to 1.2.2. I completely forgot about (de)activations, and thus lost one for A-10C and BS2 (9 activations remaining). And I did not change any hardware (unless getting a new joystick counts :P).

So how does the activation thing work actually? If I wait 30 days, do I get back an activation (in my case back to 10 left again), or is that only if you have zero activations left?

As it happens, I'm also planning a little hardware upgrade soon; new motherboard and CPU. The rest I will keep and most likely reinstall OS. Judging from this thread I should first "de-activate" both modules I got for DCS:World, then HW upgrade and reinstall etc my computer. And then I won't loose more activations?

Coilwinder, a system change between old versions and World caused an activation to be taken. All serial numbers were, for this reason, given a "+1".

You're saying "back to 10", while actually it was originally "back to 8". (There were 8 activations and 10 deactivations.) There have been two instances where changes to the system have required reactivation, and in both cases all keys have been given a +1. Thus we are currently at 10 and 10.

If you are switching mobo and CPU, yes, you should deactivate. That way you will get to re-use the old activations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

EtherealN

So that's what happened. Thanks for clearing that up!

Also, I was wondering about how the 30-day wait for an added activation-thing works. If there is such a thing. It was just something I read in a post. I couldn't find anything about that from the "help" link in the actication dialogue that popped up. Not that it's likely I will run out of activations any time soon (years, if ever, under normal circumstances).

Edited by coilwinder

For A-10C, BS2, P-51D, FC3 and CA, if you run out of activations (that is, remaining activations reach 0), a clock will start in the system. After 30 days, the key get a +1. If this activation is then spent, the same thing happens again. (And again, and again, etcetera etcetera.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester