F-18 vs F-16

Skyracer

Yea i read that bit on his experience on fighter sweep way back when. NOt in any way to to take away from input of a pilot that had flown both, it should be worth noting that he would have flown an older F16C ( mentioned monochrome displays, indicating pre CCIP) and the Hornet he flew when he went into USN reserve IRRC was mentioned as F/A18A+, which means its not an ideal comparison F16C blk 50 post CCIP that ED is working on vs F/A18C lot 20 with post production upgrades that we have in DCS, since they are approximating additional features that those aircraft he flew wouldn't have had.

I flew Block 30 Big Mouth SCU 7.1 jets with color displays and SADL. CCIP is not more advanced than the SCU jets, just a different software since it was developed by AATC for the Guard/Reserve units.

I also flew Block 42s with MMC 4.3 which is a later version than what's in the Eagle Dynamics F-16. What I haven't flown is SEAD and HTS.

I also flew the F/A-18 C and D models at VFA-106 and in the simulator at 204. Aside from the analog fuel gages, the software in the A+ is identical to the C models.

Off topic... but the F-15E is really one of the true multi-role aircraft that even qualifies for swing-role. F-15E can takeoff with an a2a and a2g configured aircraft and float between close air support and defensive counter air in the same sortie. Most other "multi-role" aircraft can only really do one role at a time. Gets aggravating when you do a large force exercise with vipers (and a viper mission commander) who consider you "just a striker" that they need to protect when you're the jet with an APG-82 AESA radar and multiple AMRAAMs available. The jet that absolutely needs to survive because we have the bombs to kill the priority targets, but at least incorporate us into the air to air gameplan, because we can do BVR way better even with an air to ground mindset.

Nothing better than swing role strike eagles fratting everyone at Red Flag. :lol:

Still somewhat disappointed ED can't build the APG-68 (v9). I am very intrigued by what the AGM-158 will bring given the larger warhead the JASSM has over the SLAM. As far as ingame mission preference, I have a feeling I'd really be leveraging the F-16 for A2A and SEAD missions while still using the Hornet for strike and CAS.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Still somewhat disappointed ED can't build the APG-68 (v9).

What year did the APG-68v9 came into service on operational units? ( meaning unit that deploy)

Keeping in mind the only units I know of that flew the USAF block 50 circa 2007 after CCIP operationally where;

55th FS, 77th FS and 79th FS Shaw AFB

13th and 14th FS in Misawa AB

22nd FS and 23rd FS Spangdahlem AB

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Says the single seat is always better Neanderthal … :megalol:

I’ll assume your smiley means your post is all in good fun. But I can assure you, single seat forever. I’d rather have the extra gas....and the plane to myself.

.....than a loaf and extra pair of eyeballs?

Twice as many assholes with half as much SA.

I don't know any self-respecting fighter pilot that's ever found himself in a situation and thought, "Man, a trunk monkey and less fuel/bombs/bullets would be great right about now." :lol:

Nothing better than swing role strike eagles fratting everyone at Red Flag. :lol:

except for raptors and JSF right? :lol:

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Which aircraft did you personally like better? Is there anything the F-16 does better than the F/A-18 or vice versa?

Mover provided a link earlier in the thread where he wrote his thoughts a couple of years ago as well as some other very interesting reads.

Thanks for the link Mover, some great articles there!

Cheers

I tried reading that post. Ultimately couldn't. F-15Es are the best

There are nearly 6 time as many F16's in the USAF to F15E. You'd better be superior than a f16 for higher price tag and being available in fewer #'s ;)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Okay, stick monkey. In all seriousness, you have combat time in Navy F-16N models? Where did you accomplish that feat?

F-16Ns do not fly in Combat. They are used by NAWDC at NAS Fallon. Mover does have combat time in the Viper. I have it in the Hornet.

What year did the APG-68v9 came into service on operational units? ( meaning unit that deploy)

Keeping in mind the only units I know of that flew the USAF block 50 circa 2007 after CCIP operationally where;

55th FS, 77th FS and 79th FS Shaw AFB

13th and 14th FS in Misawa AB

22nd FS and 23rd FS Spangdahlem AB

So was the An/APG68 V5 the best Blk 50 radar being employed by 2007? where V6-V7 implemented by this time yet if the V9's weren't yet around in USAF service?

I flew Block 30 Big Mouth SCU 7.1 jets with color displays and SADL. CCIP is not more advanced than the SCU jets, just a different software since it was developed by AATC for the Guard/Reserve units.

I also flew Block 42s with MMC 4.3 which is a later version than what's in the Eagle Dynamics F-16. What I haven't flown is SEAD and HTS.

I also flew the F/A-18 C and D models at VFA-106 and in the simulator at 204. Aside from the analog fuel gages, the software in the A+ is identical to the C models.

AH i see thanks for clarification.

Although wouldn't there be more difference between the A+ and a Late C?

A+ ( from which i noticed from your videos) has the original HSI display and not MPCD or LCD based AMPCD. Does the A+ also have Link 16, JHMCS, 9X integration, newer ALE 47 CM suite and EGI like the upgraded Lot 20? From what i recall these latter things were only part of A++ upgrades.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Trading 200 pounds of fuel or 2-5 minutes extra flight time for increased capability is a convincing argument … whatever floats your boat rust picker.

200 pounds and 2-5 minutes are incorrect numbers. You get a little more than that. Increased capability? I disagree with that part as well.

Edited by G B
Punctuation and format

Trading 200 pounds of fuel or 2-5 minutes extra flight time for increased capability is a convincing argument … whatever floats your boat rust picker.

This is making me cringe, I'm embarrass for you.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

And yet here you are... pretending to be a single seat fighter pilot in a flight sim game.... must not be all that bad. :joystick: :megalol::thumbup:

I'm pretty sure that quote is from a Navy guy who flew NSAWC (NAWDC?) Vipers.

I've flown Vipers in combat and A-D Hornets in training doing both blue and red air. The switchology in the Viper is MUCH more user friendly (and yes, the F-35 gets its PVI from the Viper because, well, Lockheed).

There are a few similarities between the jets, but it's not significant. It's kind of like a new Shelby GT500 vs a Camaro ZL1. They're close, but very different.

I wrote a four part article about this on Fightersweep a few years ago.

https://fightersweep.com/1494/hornet-vs-viper-part-one/

Well, care to elaborate on this quote? That's why I asked as I presumed the Navy N models were training assets only.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]