New to the Fishbed: So many questions:

Nealius

I struggled a little with MiG-21 landings in the beginning

What I did was just take off - orbit the airfield - then come down - repeat

I struggled untill I realized there is a maximum recommended fuel.

When I started to burn some fuel off before attempting to land - it became easy as pie.

Make sure you are not landing on a full tank, and it will be a breeze

This can very much be a beginner's trap. Shoot for 2000l or less for landing.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

This can very much be a beginner's trap. Shoot for 2000l or less for landing.

I think 2000l is way too much.

Clean 800l, AA missiles 600l, AA missiles with empty rocket pods 400-500l, landing with bombs-never.

Vertical velocity 1-2m/s speed 300-340kph on runway threshold, AoA-have no idea ( of course, never idle the throttle before main gears touchdown).

Flare 2 Sec before touchdown. Landing speed 280-320 (depending on weight)

These are rules that I use and never had any problems. Smooth as a butter.

For landing practice I usually load up with 3,000lbs fuel (the gauge being in volume instead of weight is confusing), takeoff and zip around the area in afterburner for 10 minutes, then I'm typically down to 800-900L. From there I'll practice my landings.

For landing practice I usually load up with 3,000lbs fuel (the gauge being in volume instead of weight is confusing), takeoff and zip around the area in afterburner for 10 minutes, then I'm typically down to 800-900L. From there I'll practice my landings.

If I can make recommendation for landing practice in general.

Make a mission in Mission editor with air start about 20 km from the runway with speed of 500kp/h and ALT of 1500 meters for straight in approach.

I do recommend 800l for clean config.

When you land you can save the replay.Then you load up the replay, use time compression and when you are on a final approach,

just before outer marker you hit Esc and take control.

It's a time saver:thumbup:

The same concept goes for landing practice in a box pattern or carrier landings(not with MIG 21 obviously).

Edited by Void78
addendum

Well, landing with 2,000l is easy enough, but at 800 it's a real cake walk. It's just a matter of coming to terms with the fact that the Fishbed lands fast and there's no way around that.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

It's been almost a year since i have used DCS i think. Mig21 was the most flown module by me.

About the landing , my approach speed was in the envelope of 380-400 Kmph with flaps to landing config maintaining the glideslope , on the threshold the speed reduced was to around 320 and i would kinda let it glide before touchdown at 320. I do remember i used to idle the throttle.

Correct me if wrong.

Been using DCS again since the last couple of days and don't remember much now of the 21.

Was stuck on to the Bell 412 of X-plane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

I think 2000l is way too much.

Clean 800l, AA missiles 600l, AA missiles with empty rocket pods 400-500l, landing with bombs-never.

Vertical velocity 1-2m/s speed 300-340kph on runway threshold, AoA-have no idea ( of course, never idle the throttle before main gears touchdown).

Flare 2 Sec before touchdown. Landing speed 280-320 (depending on weight)

These are rules that I use and never had any problems. Smooth as a butter.

I dun had a branefart. I went back and looked at my notes and what I MEANT was 1,000L. So, yeah, you're right.

FWIW, the manual I have refers to a “normal” landing as one with a fuel reserve of 300-500 liters. The touchdown speed for a “normal landing” is 260-280.

I was playing around this morning with that amount and touched down at 250. 1250 liters yielded a touchdown speed of somewhere around 260. 2500 required a bit more concentration and required around 270. At no point did the nosewheel slam down. It wavered a bit and came down gently.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.