Purchased but confused

blunt_waco

So I purchased CA and today I tried it for the first time. It looks like there are no built-in missions or campaigns for CA, is this correct?

I searched YouTube and there is a video of someone making a mission via the editor. Is this the only way to play the vanilla CA?

I also tried the mission option in CA but all what I got is a map with vehicles and there is really nothing there to drive/fly!!

Then I found this campaign on DCS website...

Combined Arms: Frontlines Georgia Campaign

Would this allow me to actually operate a tank and shoot down vehicles?

I'm really confused, so many modules and I haven't even touched on or tried Multiplayer yet!!

There should be about a dozen basic CA missions that come with the module. There is no free campaign. There are no instant action.

Frontlines Georgia is basic, buggy and brutal all at the same time. It's not a good starting point. Find those included missions to start out with.

CA currently shines brightest in MP. Used for JTAC or GCI on servers like Blue Flag. It's also invaluable if you are running missions for your squad as a game master.

A module typically comes with missions arranged in 4 groups. There is a button for each on the menu.

Instant action - short single missions that start with you near the action

Mission - single missions

Campaign - a string of missions that progress in order automatically

Training - training missions

With CA you should have 12-14 missions in the mission group. Nothing in the other groups.

I did. When I select the first mission, all I get is a map where I can issue Set Path, Set Target, etc but I can't jump into action, like be inside the tank.

The documents are found

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\CombinedArms\Doc

You just click on the tank (if) playable and then click on the tank icon in the top menu.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

By "There are no instant action" did you mean that in the built-in missions I can't jump inside a tank and start playing?

Yes, CA is a little odd, it’s presented to the player as the F10 map view. Once you load a mission that has ground vehicles which are drivable, and you have a slot (if MP) or a player (in SP) which is a tactical commander, for example, you first have to click on a drivable vehicle from that F10 view. Then you can either click on the tank icon at the top of the screen, or hit the “right-alt” and “j” key (default mapping I believe) and you will then be shifted to a gunsight view from within that vehicle.

Thank you guys. Now it’s clear. I’m a big fan of DCS. I owned KA50 1 and the flaming cliffs years ago. Then I took a break due to family/work. Now I have time to play once I put the kids and wife to bed :megalol:

I’m even thinking now of getting the warthog joystick.